Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yeah. Like you (and I guess a lot of people) I've turned down more money to stay in my current position, or to take a job that simply looked better. But then my working career is a lot longer than a professional footballer's.

So I'll never criticise professional sportspeople for maximising their earnings. We all know it's a short career and you're a long time retired. Also you're only ever one bad accident/injury away from, if not a premature end, then having your career so degraded that you are literally regarded as 'damaged goods'. Some recover, but we've all seen players who weren't as good as they used to be after a bad injury - poor Tariq Lamptey being the latest one. And of course Mwepu having to retire.

So yeah. If I was in Connolly's position I wouldn't be giving up my PL wages until I absolutely had to.
A year of an average PL player’s wages would set most of us up for life, two years of PL wages could if invested wisely also set you up for life, three years and you are definitely set up for life.
Hopefully AC has been clever and the rest of his career is a bonus income.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A year of an average PL player’s wages would set most of us up for life, two years of PL wages could if invested wisely also set you up for life, three years and you are definitely set up for life.
Hopefully AC has been clever and the rest of his career is a bonus income.
My guess is he’s pissed it up the wall already, other people have retired on the back of it, and he’ll be scraping a living playing for Kerry and filling potholes in 3 years

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would you give up another year of PL wages to sign for Hull would be a huge minimum 50% wage cut. Makes no sense until he is a free agent.
He won't take any kind of pay cut at all. Hull will pick up some of his pay, and we'll continue to fund the balance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My guess is he’s pissed it up the wall already, other people have retired on the back of it, and he’ll be scraping a living playing for Kerry and filling potholes in 3 years
Still has plenty of time to invest!

If I was Mitoma I’d have demanded a transfer by now! :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Telling all the locals in the pub how he once scored two goals against the Spurs second keeper 🤣
Missing a trick there then - two goals against the Champions League finalists surely?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Clearly, nobody is going to sign him on a permanent deal considering his contract. If we can get any sort of loan fee or a payment toward his wages then we've reduced our financial liability and got him out of the club and into what could turn out being a really positive move for his career. I think a year long loan will suit everyone concerned and then in 12 months time he gets a free transfer but hopefully will have had a full season this season playing in the Championship to build his career, similar to Gyokeres.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I'm sure thats mostly made up . . .but I'd definitely shuffle it a bit.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Clearly, nobody is going to sign him on a permanent deal considering his contract. If we can get any sort of loan fee or a payment toward his wages then we've reduced our financial liability and got him out of the club and into what could turn out being a really positive move for his career. I think a year long loan will suit everyone concerned and then in 12 months time he gets a free transfer but hopefully will have had a full season this season playing in the Championship to build his career, similar to Gyokeres.

It is pretty common for a player to be transferred to another club on lower wages, with the previous club subsidizing the difference.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Good luck to him. It was clearly far too much, far too soon for him here. I still think the club have to take some responsibility, I don't think he was handled very well. Hopefully he's grown up a bit now and it will work out for him at Hull.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Why do these sites make up all that twaddle ? Having seen Twitter, I suppose the question is answered. Traffic/adverts/clicks

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Good luck to him. It was clearly far too much, far too soon for him here. I still think the club have to take some responsibility, I don't think he was handled very well. Hopefully he's grown up a bit now and it will work out for him at Hull.
Potter too. He scored those goals against Spurs and Graham had him in the starting 11 for weeks after that. Needed to keep him grounded and continue blooding him in.

See De Zerbi after Enciso’s goal at Chelsea. The first thing he did was say he wasn’t happy with him after the goal in his post match interview.

That’s the difference between a good manager and an elite one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here