Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Thankfully he's out of contact at the end of this season.

Giving him a lucrative long contact too soon is probably the biggest mistake we've made in this new era. But it is one that it does seem the club has learnt from.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Saw him driving his G-Wagon in Ditchling last night. Nothing particular to report.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Would you give up another year of PL wages to sign for Hull would be a huge minimum 50% wage cut. Makes no sense until he is a free agent.
On another thread you are going mad about how disloyal Caicedo is for wanting to move clubs to double his wages, yet here you are saying Connolly is mad to try and further his career on less money.

Which makes me think that you would be doing exactly as Caicedo is in his position.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
On another thread you are going mad about how disloyal Caicedo is for wanting to move clubs to double his wages, yet here you are saying Connolly is mad to try and further his career on less money.

Which makes me think that you would be doing exactly as Caicedo is in his position.
Funnily enough I’ve been in that position I started a project and another client offered me more money to ditch it and do theirs. I declined and completed the first project.

Money really doesn’t make my world go round although I wouldn’t throw money away like AC would be doing if he signed on a permanent for Hull this summer.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Thankfully he's out of contact at the end of this season.

Giving him a lucrative long contact too soon is probably the biggest mistake we've made in this new era. But it is one that it does seem the club has learnt from.
But you never know do you. And ask yourself what's worse.

You give an up and coming youngster a long contract and he doesn't develop as you hoped and you end up having to subsidise loans for a couple of years then lose him on a nominal fee

Or

You don't give him a contract, he turns out to be a world beater (as we're seeing with several of our youngsters) and you lose a player worth 10's of millons for nothing?

The obvious answer is you'll lose lots more money on the lost fee than you will on the contract.

Aaron's performances in the PL2 and his early transition to top level football suggested a good probability of success. But we're only ever talking degrees of probability. Young players development is never linear and there are many pitfalls for a rich young footballer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another loan to Hull, could be done today, all over Twatter.

But why just a loan? Why not a perm?
Sobvious, innit! Why pay out good money to buy him when he'll be available for nothing in 12 months time? - if you want to sign him then. Brighton will still proobably be paying part of his wages too - what's not to like for Hull?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Wages. We’ll be paying a hefty contribution towards his wage.
That will be why it is a loan. . As soon as he scored the 2 goals against spurs in case was going to be a future star club gave him a silly contract Am sure it happens a lot to many young strikers unlike other positions.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A loan to Hull just about draws a curtain on his albion career. I hope he leaves a wiser player, and reflects on what might have been. :wave:

This is now a monster year for Connolly and will determine whether next summer he gets offers from Championship, League 1 or League 2 clubs.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Funnily enough I’ve been in that position I started a project and another client offered me more money to ditch it and do theirs. I declined and completed the first project.

Money really doesn’t make my world go round although I wouldn’t throw money away like AC would be doing if he signed on a permanent for Hull this summer.
Yeah. Like you (and I guess a lot of people) I've turned down more money to stay in my current position, or to take a job that simply looked better. But then my working career is a lot longer than a professional footballer's.

So I'll never criticise professional sportspeople for maximising their earnings. We all know it's a short career and you're a long time retired. Also you're only ever one bad accident/injury away from, if not a premature end, then having your career so degraded that you are literally regarded as 'damaged goods'. Some recover, but we've all seen players who weren't as good as they used to be after a bad injury - poor Tariq Lamptey being the latest one. And of course Mwepu having to retire.

So yeah. If I was in Connolly's position I wouldn't be giving up my PL wages until I absolutely had to.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It’s not impossible we’d sell him, and pay up his final year of wages if it suits for a permanent move for him now . Or bridge difference

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here