[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I see this thread has been condensed to hide the embarrassment of all those posters who insisted I was wrong when I suggested a Championship club would bite our hands off to sign young Aaron. Promotion chasing Boro certainly seem to have taken a few Albion fingers off to get him in for the beginning of January. :D

Probably the weirdest victory claim I've ever read on NSC.

The old thread was absolutely chocka with people suggesting a Championship loan would be perfect for him. It was the player himself who wanted to stay in the PL.

Boro will suit him down to the ground, There will be no shortage of places where he can get his hair cut so he looks like a ***t and even more places willing to sell him and Miss Love Island terrible tasting booze. If he can resist those temptations and bang in a few goals we'll have a better, more rounded, more confident and less arrogant player on our hands with a nice bit of pace. If he can't even shine at Boro we'll be more than justified in binning him off. Win/win.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He’s being moved on because he’s not good enough.

I think that’s very easy to say, but I’m sure that wasn’t your reaction post Tottenham.
He’s suffered injuries, and never had a great run in the team for a variety of reasons. Is it an attitude thing? In reality none of us know.

Hopefully, he’ll build some confidence up at Boro and we’ll see where he goes.

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012
I think that’s very easy to say, but I’m sure that wasn’t your reaction post Tottenham.
He’s suffered injuries, and never had a great run in the team for a variety of reasons. Is it an attitude thing? In reality none of us know.

Hopefully, he’ll build some confidence up at Boro and we’ll see where he goes.

And since the Tottenham game not a lot has been achieved…

I’m sure there’s always additional reasons, but you have to be naive to think he’s attitude and lack of work ethic didn’t play a large part of why he’s moving. He had plenty of opportunities…

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
And since the Tottenham game not a lot has been achieved…

I’m sure there’s always additional reasons, but you have to be naive to think he’s attitude and lack of work ethic didn’t play a large part of why he’s moving. He had plenty of opportunities…

Though when he was fit he nearly always made the bench so who knows, and he actually played well when he came on at Southampton, trouble is he was poor vs Wolves a few days later…….. you just don’t get any sort of consistency by not playing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I see this thread has been condensed to hide the embarrassment of all those posters who insisted I was wrong when I suggested a Championship club would bite our hands off to sign young Aaron. Promotion chasing Boro certainly seem to have taken a few Albion fingers off to get him in for the beginning of January. :D

Oh what bollox! There is no sign of Middlesrough 'biting our hand off' - they (if the stories are true, which I think they probably are) are agreeing to take him on loan. Their fans have got quite a lot of reservations.

A loan to a Championship team is a big, big break for him - 6 months in a lower league, leading to a Championship loan next season would have been a very good deal for young Aaron - now he does need to grab this opportunity with both hands ....... and some! If he does, fine - that would be great for hm and us; if Lucinda and clubbing are more important to him than football, then he's League 1 bound.

Middlesbrough fans are (justifiably) wary. Go, Aaron go! - but if the words 'last chance saloon' don't resonate with you ..................... you maybe need to do a bit of serious thinking!

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Very much hoping he smashes it at Boro then bangs in a load for us next season.
It’s not too late for him, if he really wants it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very much hoping he smashes it at Boro then bangs in a load for us next season.
It’s not too late for him, if he really wants it.

Agreed.

Connolly’s intuitive skill is ‘right place, right time’. This is a rare skill that we really need. If he can start to finish the chances he used to do when he was a lad, we could still have a serious player on our hands:

https://youtu.be/cPAX6jeCK9M

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The best outcome for us is that he bangs in 10+ for them in the second half of the season so that they part with £5-7m for him. He’s not an EPL level striker and never will be.

Why? Do you think Glenn Murray was a PL striker when he scored 3 goals in League Two at the age of 22?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hopefully will do his confidence the world of good and he’ll be back here raring to go next season

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I don't think we'll see him in the stripes again. If he doesn't do well then he'll come back and be sold to a lower Championship or League One team. If he does well for them then he'll want to stay and not come back to the haters here.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The best outcome for us is that he bangs in 10+ for them in the second half of the season so that they part with £5-7m for him. He’s not an EPL level striker and never will be.

Connolly is just under 4 years younger than Ivan Toney. On his 22nd birthday (Connolly is 22 in a few weeks) he was playing for Scunthorpe United in L1.

He’s also 4 years younger than Ollie Watkins. When Watkins was 21/22 he was in his first season at Brentford where he scored 10 goals in 45 appearances.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i'm still inclined to give him time .....he needs to grow up and appreciate the position he has found himself in , it's up to him wether he moves backwards or forwards , standing still is not an option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports