Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oh FFS! Why another Connolly thread, two and a half hours after the previous (well discussed and supported) one?
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?392146-Connolly-thread-where-did-it-go

From that thread:

This is exactly what happened. Any thread Mustafa has started will eventually go too as his posts are purged.

Just start another one.....(and don't then immediately flounce!).

They were only following instructions from a mod! Must be a way to compensate for the lost revenue...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No, there already was a replacement thread. Somebody had already done it!

I'm confused.

There's the one that was deleted from mustafa

There's the one psychobilly freakout started asking what happened to the mustafa one. In which Guiness Boy advises starting a new thread.

Then there's this thread (following GB's advice).

The next most recent thread to show up with 'connolly' in the title according to the search is from September 2019.

If there's another thread, I can't see it on the first three pages of the big board.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
After that game in 2016, Boro of all teams absolutely DESERVE to get proper Connollyed this season.

Long may they harvest the silly dives, the 3 yard spooners, the mile-high blazers, and the baffling array of haircuts (best enjoy, as thats the closest they'll get to any 'highlights' on the pitch).

That said, if this move happens then I genuinely do wish him every success there for the rest of the season. If only because it increases the likelihood of it being made a permanent deal.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think he’ll score goals in the Championship, it’s what he needs. Middlesbrough though! :lolol:

I watched Middlesbrough v Forest by default at the weekend. They destroyed Forest and played great attacking football. He could end up scoring a lot of goals with them . He still isn't good enough for PL but a good few goals in the Championship will drive his value up.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I watched Middlesbrough v Forest by default at the weekend. They destroyed Forest and played great attacking football. He could end up scoring a lot of goals with them . He still isn't good enough for PL but a good few goals in the Championship will drive his value up.

And his ego. He's a bit of a tool when he doesn't score, what will he be like if he actually starts banging them in?!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm confused.

There's the one that was deleted from mustafa

There's the one psychobilly freakout started asking what happened to the mustafa one. In which Guiness Boy advises starting a new thread.

Then there's this thread (following GB's advice).

The next most recent thread to show up with 'connolly' in the title according to the search is from September 2019.

If there's another thread, I can't see it on the first three pages of the big board.

Both of the currently existing Connolly threads were started yesterday (28th. December 2021) - this one -
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?392146-Connolly-thread-where-did-it-go at 14.53 and this thread two and a half hours later.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Well, I’m going to post on this thread, as it’s clearly a thread about Aaron Connolly, and not a thread about where did the thread about Aaron Connolly go - clear?

Anyway, in my 45 year working life I have seen many people who have been more than capable of earning a living, while not actually appearing to do anything.

I was told by one such many years ago, “carry a clipboard with you, stop and randomly jot something down, and people will always think you are busy”.

I’ve also been told before that I lacked ambition, as I didn’t push myself forward when opportunities arose at work. I was being paid, reasonably, and was happy with my lot, so why should I put my head above the parapet.

This effectively describes Aaron Connolly.

For some reason people seem to believe that ALL footballers enjoy their job and want to be playing all the time, while I believe, like any profession, there are those happy to take their reward for minimum effort.

Maybe Mr. Connolly is one of those...

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One is about Connolly, the other is about the thread. Two different threads.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Indeed :thumbsup:

Someone started a thread asking where the other one went. I answered it on that thread. Why people continued to post on that after I did I have no idea, but most of it was commentary on the unfortunate consequences of throwing a hissy and asking for your content to be deleted.

Ideally (and we've discussed this at Mod Towers) each player would just have one thread each to discuss them. However a) it's not been done that way in the past and would now be a total PITA to find and merge b) what if the OP of that thread flounced and asked for data deletion and c) there could be the odd legal issue here and there.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
To answer b) maybe [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] could start a thread on the individual players in the 25 man squad, each player having their very own special place to be told repeatedly they are shitehouse, or the best thing since sliced bread.

If the thread starter then does a flounce, it won't matter as there won't be a site for us all to make our often pointless contributions to :D

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For some reason people seem to believe that ALL footballers enjoy their job and want to be playing all the time, while I believe, like any profession, there are those happy to take their reward for minimum effort.

Maybe Mr. Connolly is one of those...

I’m not so sure.

Connolly looked fantastic against Swansea and ran himself into the ground against Southampton.

I think that he believes that he is the best finisher at the club. I think he wants to play every second of every match desperately but has taken to blaming the manager when he is not picked. He also wants to spend a lot of time out clubbing. Cakeism.

If he’d scored those half dozen virtual tap-ins instead of missing them last season, things would be different.

He’ll score double figures at Boro no doubt. Easy. But will his head be in the right place to make a return to Albion for next season?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m not so sure.

Connolly looked fantastic against Swansea and ran himself into the ground against Southampton.

I think that he believes that he is the best finisher at the club. I think he wants to play every second of every match desperately but has taken to blaming the manager when he is not picked. He also wants to spend a lot of time out clubbing. Cakeism.

If he’d scored those half dozen virtual tap-ins instead of missing them last season, things would be different.

He’ll score double figures at Boro no doubt. Easy. But will his head be in the right place to make a return to Albion for next season?

What a brilliant word :thumbsup:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What a brilliant word :thumbsup:

Haha!

Can’t claim credit for that though!

It was stolen from an article in the Guardian or Observer about Mr Johnson’s style of populism, eg - high spending & low taxes, Brexit and strong economy, levelling up and making the rich richer etc.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I’m not so sure.

I hope he does well at 'Boro, and matures a little - I'm always inclined to give someone a second chance; I was pretty immature at his age, and not proud of how I behaved sometimes.

But if he does score double-figures, will it give him a confidence-boost and appreciation that he's been given a fresh start, or will it make him (even more of) an arrogant Big Time Charlie?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Maybe he needs a change of scenary to remind him what an unbelievable opportunity he has at this football club. Middlesbrough is a big club with a deep fanbase and they're upwardly mobile in the league with an experienced manager. I think it's an excellent move for him and while I think it's probably 18 months too late, I haven't written him off yet.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If he was clubbing and scoring (on the pitch) we wouldn't care a la Frank Worthington, but scoring has to come first.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I’m not so sure.

I will be absolutely amazed (and happy) if he scores double figures for Boro. Far far far more likely is he either ends his loan early having got in some kind of skirmish off the field, or he comes back having flattered to deceive, and been in and out of the team unable to hold down a first team place, and scoring no more than a couple of goals. Which would then result in us selling him to Coventry or someone in the Summer.

I really hope I’m wrong.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If we needed to incentivise Middlesbrough taking Connolly on loan with an option to buy, how much would you guess the transfer fee would be?
I would guess about £5m with maybe add-ons in the event of promotion.
I base this on the fact that there appears to be very little money to spend in the Championship.

Or is the general view that it's likely to be a loan with no option to buy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here