Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - joining Hull permanently

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we needed to incentivise Middlesbrough taking Connolly on loan with an option to buy, how much would you guess the transfer fee would be?
I would guess about £5m with maybe add-ons in the event of promotion.
I base this on the fact that there appears to be very little money to spend in the Championship.

Or is the general view that it's likely to be a loan with no option to buy?
For me a decent sell-on %age would be the most important part of any fee.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For me a decent sell-on %age would be the most important part of any fee.

Only if most of NSC except me Swansman and a couple of others, are totally wrong about him. After all any % of the fee for a rubbish player who'll be lucky to get a loan to to League 1 or 2 is likely to be £0.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He’ll have one decent 6 months somewhere, earn a move or contract and then disappear again. Wish it was us who’ll make some money out of it but more likely to be where-ever he ends up next.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Only if most of NSC except me Swansman and a couple of others, are totally wrong about him. After all any % of the fee for a rubbish player who'll be lucky to get a loan to to League 1 or 2 is likely to be £0.
For me the sell-on would just be the insurance policy in case he miraculously sorts out his attitude and gets a taste for putting in the application and graft. :shrug:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If we needed to incentivise Middlesbrough taking Connolly on loan with an option to buy, how much would you guess the transfer fee would be?
I would guess about £5m with maybe add-ons in the event of promotion.
I base this on the fact that there appears to be very little money to spend in the Championship.

Or is the general view that it's likely to be a loan with no option to buy?

I think Connolly would be very attractive to a yo-yo club like West Brom, Fulham, Norwich or Watford. But how much would they pay?

He has almost identical statistics to Eddie Nketiah who was going to Palace for £15m until his insane salary demands scuppered the deal.
He also has done so much more in the EPL than £23.4m Brewster.

I think we’d want £10m-£15m for him and would get it from one of the aforementioned teams if we decided to sell. He still has enormous potential at only 21 years old despite his current immaturity.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I think Connolly would be very attractive to a yo-yo club like West Brom, Fulham, Norwich or Watford. But how much would they pay?

He has almost identical statistics to Eddie Nketiah who was going to Palace for £15m until his insane salary demands scuppered the deal.
He also has done so much more in the EPL than £23.4m Brewster.

I think we’d want £10m-£15m for him and would get it from one of the aforementioned teams if we decided to sell. He still has enormous potential at only 21 years old despite his current immaturity.

pie in the sky money talk. he's done zilch in PL and I think his level is prob League 2 not Championship.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
For some reason people seem to believe that ALL footballers enjoy their job and want to be playing all the time, while I believe, like any profession, there are those happy to take their reward for minimum effort.

Maybe Mr. Connolly is one of those...

*cough* Locadia *cough*

It's a good move for all concerned if it goes ahead. A sh1t or get off the pot time for Aaron.

There could be a PL level striker in there as he can pull off a decent finish as he did for the yoof team (and vs Spurs). But his all round game, attitude and work rate needs a kick up the jacksie and then see what we have with those changed and football being the main driver in his life.

It will either be the making of him or exposing him as a Championship or L1 level striker if he can't get his arse in gear.

For our sake and his, I hope he 'does a Duffy' and returns a man mountain of a player.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For me the sell-on would just be the insurance policy in case he miraculously sorts out his attitude and gets a taste for putting in the application and graft. :shrug:

Exactly, and this is the risk with a youth policy. You could get the odd gem like Rooney or Bellingham (or quite a few ex Saints Academy) but you can also get someone who makes all the immature mistakes of youth with you, moves on and suddenly grows up.

I agree with those saying loan to buy with a decent sell on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Championship clubs are all skint though right? No-ones going to pay more than a couple Million quid. Plus he's probably on decent money

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No reason to include the option to buy unless Boro demands it (in that case it might be worth just to get him out on a loan). If he ends up scoring for fun (which maybe isnt likely but also not impossible) including the option to buy, unless demanded, would either rob the club of a promising striker or £x millions.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
5Live reporting on the loan move to Boro now. He can link up with other Brighton hot youth prospect - Grant Hall.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The girl that went on Love Island that he dated, perhaps still does? Has tagged herself in Middlesbrough on her Instagram story.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The girl that went on Love Island that he dated, perhaps still does? Has tagged herself in Middlesbrough on her Instagram story.

He is having a medical there today so makes sense

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He’s there now Lucinda moaning about the drive last night but smitten with the “cute” residence they are staying at

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'd like to see him try a parmo, maybe Lucinda could do a vlog about it, or maybe a vlog about the least used rail station in Britain in 2017/18, British Steel Redcar. I hope he likes the transporter bridge as well, there is an absolute plethora of things for a couple in the spot light to enjoy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd like to see him try a parmo, maybe Lucinda could do a vlog about it, or maybe a vlog about the least used rail station in Britain in 2017/18, British Steel Redcar. I hope he likes the transporter bridge as well, there is an absolute plethora of things for a couple in the spot light to enjoy.

Pubs with flat roofs, women out on the town in February sporting more tattoos than clothes, boarded up shops, special discounts on Dragons and White Lightning, free racism with every social encounter, the list of attractions is almost endless.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pubs with flat roofs, women out on the town in February sporting more tattoos than clothes, boarded up shops, special discounts on Dragons and White Lightning, free racism with every social encounter, the list of attractions is almost endless.

Probably even a few illnesses that have been otherwise eradicated in civilised society :lolol:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I see this thread has been condensed to hide the embarrassment of all those posters who insisted I was wrong when I suggested a Championship club would bite our hands off to sign young Aaron. Promotion chasing Boro certainly seem to have taken a few Albion fingers off to get him in for the beginning of January. :D

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I see this thread has been condensed to hide the embarrassment of all those posters who insisted I was wrong when I suggested a Championship club would bite our hands off to sign young Aaron. Promotion chasing Boro certainly seem to have taken a few Albion fingers off to get him in for the beginning of January. :D

Mainly because he isn’t a bad player…..
For me the only reason not to keep him is that he is too similar to what we have already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here