Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 weekend closures Shoreham-Lancing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Took us 3 hours to get to Southampton last Saturday, leaving Brighton at 1130. Delays around Lyons Farm, Arundel and Chichester (as well as near the ground). But not at Shoreham flyover! Coming on the M23 last night there were signs up saying the Southwick tunnel was closed.
The roundabout that is the West Wittering turning is an absolute pig on a sunny weekend, as is the approach to Arundel. There is a rat run on a very poor road on the right on the A27 about 1/2 mile before the lights entering Arundel but that brings you out on the old Arundel road and getting across that can take ages too.

I went to Lower Upham near Southampton from Worthing at 10 on Saturday and did it in an hour and 10 though there was loads of traffic where you said.

Jul 7, 2003
The roundabout that is the West Wittering turning is an absolute pig on a sunny weekend,
I used to go through Chichester via the Oving crossroads (avoiding the queues at the retail park and Lidl) to avoid the queues there and on the Bognor Road roundabout but that option has gone since they shut that junction off Westbound.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
No closures but the off slip for Steyning is still closed Westbound so down to two lanes as you approach the flyover from Hombush. Gets very busy at peak times - probably adds a good 20-30 minutes to your journey - especially as the Shoreham Airport traffic lights seem to be badly phased at the moment.
Don’t understand why they had to shut the slip road , could they just put a barrier up where the barrier is damaged ,
lit is of course health and safety gone mad again ,
it’s of course the Highway Agency who don’t care about the motorists, or have any interest in keeping the countries roads flowing

Jul 7, 2003
Don’t understand why they had to shut the slip road , could they just put a barrier up where the barrier is damaged ,
lit is of course health and safety gone mad again ,
it’s of course the Highway Agency who don’t care about the motorists, or have any interest in keeping the countries roads flowing
The excuse was that it needs to be specially fabricated and will take 6 to 8 weeks. At least they saw sense and reopened the second lane.

What would have helped is to turn off the airport traffic lights and restrict the junction so that there was better traffic flow.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
No closures but the off slip for Steyning is still closed Westbound so down to two lanes as you approach the flyover from Hombush. Gets very busy at peak times - probably adds a good 20-30 minutes to your journey - especially as the Shoreham Airport traffic lights seem to be badly phased at the moment.
Regarding the phasing of the lights at the moment, is it a fact that they’ve been changed or a hunch? I was talking about it today, it’s diabolical at the moment, in the morning it’s taking an additional 7 or 8 minutes to get through the lights from the Lancing Manor roundabout.

Jul 7, 2003
Regarding the phasing of the lights at the moment, is it a fact that they’ve been changed or a hunch? I was talking about it today, it’s diabolical at the moment, in the morning it’s taking an additional 7 or 8 minutes to get through the lights from the Lancing Manor roundabout.
One of the lights got damaged a few weeks ago and since then there has been an issue - this latest issue with the lane closure has made it worse.

The BBC travel guy has been reporting them to Highways UK since before the lane closure but they don't seem bothered - maybe because they will be gone once the roundabout for the new development is completed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thank you for this .

I’m glad people are standing up to Hyde. They’d have Shoreham bulldozed and turned into a huge housing estate if they had the chance.

Shoreham will be ruined in ten years. It’s already well on the way.
Another update

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE:
Following our threat of judicial review, the Council has now provided us with a written response accepting that the legal agreement signed with Hyde does not fully protect the Welly. The Council and Hyde have now offered to enter into an ‘Easement of noise’ which will give the Welly the long term protection it deserves and which was offered by the Planning Committee. We are hoping to complete this agreement within the next few days. Whilst it's obviously frustrating that the Welly needed to instruct lawyers to agree to this solution, we are relieved that the pub’s future looks like it will be secured. In the end, it took a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but we hope for an easier route when the next planning application for a development on our other side is submitted!
Thanks to everyone who supported us, and with such passion! And, for the invaluable professional support of the Music Venues Trust and our solicitor Tim Taylor.

Jul 7, 2003
Seems like they are opening the roundabout this weekend. That should mean that traffic lights get switched off so will be interesting to see how much difference it makes to the traffic flow.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Seems like they are opening the roundabout this weekend. That should mean that traffic lights get switched off so will be interesting to see how much difference it makes to the traffic flow.
How do you turn off for Lancing College if no traffic lights ?

Or for that matter head towards Worthing if coming from Lancing College

Jul 7, 2003

I would assume that the central reservation will be closed and you use either the new roundabout or the interchange depending on which way you are travelling. Either way it doesn't add much to the journey against what would hopefully be a much improved traffic flow.

The airport has a new sliproad onto the roundabout that has been built.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would assume that the central reservation will be closed and you use either the new roundabout or the interchange depending on which way you are travelling. Either way it doesn't add much to the journey against what would hopefully be a much improved traffic flow.

The airport has a new sliproad onto the roundabout that has been built.
So I quite often cycle up the River and back via Botolphs/Lancing College.

Does that mean no longer possible?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601-155847.png
    Screenshot_20230601-155847.png
    865.7 KB · Views: 55

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There’s a new cycle path which leads onto the new road, not sure how you get on the Coombes road now though??
So basically you cannot exit from Lancing College (or that road) on a bike tp get to the Airport anymore ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
So I quite often cycle up the River and back via Botolphs/Lancing College.

Does that mean no longer possible?

The river Adur footpath itself is being widened and resurfaced, as you travel under the A27 there will be a new seperated foot/cycle path going west along the northern side of the A27 to Combes Road. The alternative is to use the new road from Coombes Road to the roundabout and then join the footpaths on the A27 itself.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
The river Adur footpath itself is being widened and resurfaced, as you travel under the A27 there will be a new seperated foot/cycle path going west along the northern side of the A27 to Combes Road. The alternative is to use the new road from Coombes Road to the roundabout and then join the footpaths on the A27 itself.
Ah!! That’s what they’re doing. I’ve seen them working on it. 👍🏻

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Seems like work has ground to a halt on the road around there since the news about the Buckingham group, I wonder if Derek Chapman and Mr Bloom are affected financially by this, I know Barratt Homes have put some new build sites on mothball for a few months at least until the housing market picks up (if it does) have Cala stopped building more houses there ?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I spoke to one of the builders on the New Monks Farm development and was told Carla still building and not affected by the lack of work on the A27 for the moment.

Buckingham group down tools and left site leaving all machinery and materials then over the next few days various plant hire companies arrived to retrieve their equipment leaving just the materials including large piles of various grades of gravel and large lumps of granite ready to fill the Gambon cages, this is slowly disappearing I assume as various individuals fill up trailers

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I spoke to one of the builders on the New Monks Farm development and was told Carla still building and not affected by the lack of work on the A27 for the moment.

Buckingham group down tools and left site leaving all machinery and materials then over the next few days various plant hire companies arrived to retrieve their equipment leaving just the materials including large piles of various grades of gravel and large lumps of granite ready to fill the Gambon cages, this is slowly disappearing I assume as various individuals fill up trailers
licensed-image~2.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here