Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 weekend closures Shoreham-Lancing

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The new building by the hotel is a low rise nursing home. I reckon we’ll be okay.
Speak for yourself fella, I have no intention of using it's facilities for a long while yet.
;)
However, Lancing could do with a bit of (limited) updating.
Limited ! you say...
Come on that is being generous, it needs an overhaul, starting with the residents.....
:hilton:
I do hope it doesn’t go the way of Shoreham. I moved here to get away from that!
And moved to.......... Lancing
Nowt like aspirations....
:ROFLMAO:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Speak for yourself fella, I have no intention of using it's facilities for a long while yet.
;)

Limited ! you say...
Come on that is being generous, it needs an overhaul, starting with the residents.....
:hilton:

And moved to.......... Lancing
Nowt like aspirations....
:ROFLMAO:
Haha! I got dreams baby!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an aside, Brighton Rd through Lancing has got temp lights by the New Sussex Hotel and it’s VERY slow going and backed up through the village. Excruciating getting past the roundabout by Setyres a few mins ago.

Avoid if at all possible.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
As an aside, Brighton Rd through Lancing has got temp lights by the New Sussex Hotel and it’s VERY slow going and backed up through the village. Excruciating getting past the roundabout by Setyres a few mins ago.

Avoid if at all possible.
I got caught by them yesterday. Had a 9am dentist appointment in Worthing … no problem with traffic. They’d put the lights up between then and me coming back the other way!!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Adur has one of the highest % of new homes being built in the floodplain in England. Most of these are behind the new flood defences. The assumptions about climate change (sea level rise and river flows) used to design the defences and set the floor levels of the new homes behind them are already mostly out of date.

All the new hard surfaces increase surface water and sewer flooding.

The Shoreham storm outfalls were used for 120 hours last year.

Southern Water don't plan to increase the capacity of the Shoreham wastewater system until 2045-2050.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Adur has one of the highest % of new homes being built in the floodplain in England. Most of these are behind the new flood defences. The assumptions about climate change (sea level rise and river flows) used to design the defences and set the floor levels of the new homes behind them are already mostly out of date.

All the new hard surfaces increase surface water and sewer flooding.

The Shoreham storm outfalls were used for 120 hours last year.

Southern Water don't plan to increase the capacity of the Shoreham wastewater system until 2045-2050.
Would that be for Shoreham New Town, situated 4 miles north?

Beautiful seaviews - just the other side of the 8 lane A27a.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Forgiv

Forgive me for not viewing the overdevelopment of areas with over priced luxury apartments as a a good thing.

Personally, I think you’re in denial.

Is it so wrong to disapprove of a place you love being changed so much? Seems natural to me.

As for the view. Of course we are not entitled to a view. Does it mean I can’t lament the replacing of a view of rolling Sussex Downs and church spires with 70 small metal balconies and red cladding?

Infrastructure? They’re adding new lanes to Brighton Rd are they?

Still, they’ve put a private dental clinic under one of the new blocks so there’s that. I suppose.

Nimbyism? Perhaps. I moved away though because I accept it’s going to happen. So it’s no longer in my back yard.

I full expect my view of Lancing beach green to be bulldozed at some point in the future.

What you call progress.
Thought this might interest you
Duke of Wellington pub in Shoreham applies for Judicial review of planning application AWDM/1450/21

The Duke of Wellington is taking measures to safeguard its long term future by pursuing a Judicial Review that will challenge the permission granted to Hyde as developers of the former Civic Centre site on Brighton Road, Shoreham.

Since 2019 we have been aware of plans to develop the site and have been asking Adur Council to ensure that an effective legal mechanism known as a ‘Deed of Easement of Noise’ be adopted. This would be in line with planning guidance that aims to protect existing community pubs and music venues. As seen in so many other examples across the country(1), noise complaints from new residents can result in the closure of venues such as ours. Venues that are home to a thriving community, arts and music scene and make an important contribution to the culture, social life and vibrancy of an area.

As such, the planning committee meeting in March 2022 recognised the value of the pub and a resolution was passed to include a legal covenant as a planning condition to provide protection for the pub against noise complaints. After a long delay however, the decision recently published makes clear that this covenant does very little to prevent future residents from successfully bringing claims against the pub. As things stand therefore, the pub remains unprotected.

Hyde and Adur Planning department have declined to engage meaningfully with our legal representative and have left us with no other option but to pursue a Judicial Review. It is regrettable that the Council was unwilling to use its leverage with developers in the same way it did to save the poplar tree next to the pub. Our attempts to seek a variation to the s106 agreement were ignored by the planning department's legal team, and regrettably this has set in motion a judicial review which could prove costly to all parties.

A strong pub community, along with backers from the music industry will be committed to securing a deed of easement for the pub. Its long term future becomes a priority as developments creep in from all sides with land on the other side of the pub also earmarked for development, there are concerns that a bad precedent is set by this poorly managed s106 agreement.

There is a lot of understandable concern about the overdevelopment of Shoreham and the inadequacy of its creaking infrastructure. For many of us, the future of cultural venues like the Welly which lie at the heart of a vibrant community is equally important. Our planning department meanwhile, would seem content through casual indifference, to let the town slip into being another soulless suburb; enabling developers to profit instead of valuing and protecting the community it is supposed to serve.

(1) Such as the recent case of the Night and Day club in Manchester https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ht-and-day-cafe-venue-closure-noise-complaint

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Duke of Wellington pub in Shoreham applies for Judicial review of planning application AWDM/1450/21

The Duke of Wellington is taking measures to safeguard its long term future by pursuing a Judicial Review that will challenge the permission granted to Hyde as developers of the former Civic Centre site on Brighton Road, Shoreham.

Since 2019 we have been aware of plans to develop the site and have been asking Adur Council to ensure that an effective legal mechanism known as a ‘Deed of Easement of Noise’ be adopted. This would be in line with planning guidance that aims to protect existing community pubs and music venues. As seen in so many other examples across the country(1), noise complaints from new residents can result in the closure of venues such as ours. Venues that are home to a thriving community, arts and music scene and make an important contribution to the culture, social life and vibrancy of an area.

As such, the planning committee meeting in March 2022 recognised the value of the pub and a resolution was passed to include a legal covenant as a planning condition to provide protection for the pub against noise complaints. After a long delay however, the decision recently published makes clear that this covenant does very little to prevent future residents from successfully bringing claims against the pub. As things stand therefore, the pub remains unprotected.

Hyde and Adur Planning department have declined to engage meaningfully with our legal representative and have left us with no other option but to pursue a Judicial Review. It is regrettable that the Council was unwilling to use its leverage with developers in the same way it did to save the poplar tree next to the pub. Our attempts to seek a variation to the s106 agreement were ignored by the planning department's legal team, and regrettably this has set in motion a judicial review which could prove costly to all parties.

A strong pub community, along with backers from the music industry will be committed to securing a deed of easement for the pub. Its long term future becomes a priority as developments creep in from all sides with land on the other side of the pub also earmarked for development, there are concerns that a bad precedent is set by this poorly managed s106 agreement.

There is a lot of understandable concern about the overdevelopment of Shoreham and the inadequacy of its creaking infrastructure. For many of us, the future of cultural venues like the Welly which lie at the heart of a vibrant community is equally important. Our planning department meanwhile, would seem content through casual indifference, to let the town slip into being another soulless suburb; enabling developers to profit instead of valuing and protecting the community it is supposed to serve.

(1) Such as the recent case of the Night and Day club in Manchester https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ht-and-day-cafe-venue-closure-noise-complaint

Thank you for this .

I’m glad people are standing up to Hyde. They’d have Shoreham bulldozed and turned into a huge housing estate if they had the chance.

Shoreham will be ruined in ten years. It’s already well on the way.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
@LamieRobertson Thank you very much - that's very interesting. There are supposed to be safeguards in the planning system now about 'agents of change' (new housing) causing problems for existing uses (music venues, pubs, industry) but they appear not to have worked in this case. I'll keep an eye on this.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Does anyone know what closures are due this weekend? Got to travel to Portsmouth on Friday afternoon.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Thanks Lamie - The Welly has a wonderful mix of live acts playing indoors and outdoors (in the summer). It does not want or need incoming noise abatement neighbours and this one has definetly broken through my NIMBY shield. It's defence otherwise relies upon the hideious noise of passing traffic, drowning out the music.

Jul 7, 2003
Does anyone know what closures are due this weekend? Got to travel to Portsmouth on Friday afternoon.
No closures but the off slip for Steyning is still closed Westbound so down to two lanes as you approach the flyover from Hombush. Gets very busy at peak times - probably adds a good 20-30 minutes to your journey - especially as the Shoreham Airport traffic lights seem to be badly phased at the moment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No closures but the off slip for Steyning is still closed Westbound so down to two lanes as you approach the flyover from Hombush. Gets very busy at peak times - probably adds a good 20-30 minutes to your journey - especially as the Shoreham Airport traffic lights seem to be badly phased at the moment.
Thank you. We had considered leaving the 27 at the Dyke, going through Poynings, Steyning bypass and the A24, but that will take longer than 30 mins.

Jul 7, 2003
Thank you. We had considered leaving the 27 at the Dyke, going through Poynings, Steyning bypass and the A24, but that will take longer than 30 mins.
Depends what time you are leaving but also need to factor in queues at Arundel so Steyning / Washington / Storrington / Amberley route is worth considering.

FYI - currently roadworks at Clapham so A280 route over Long Furlong is also backed up at peak times.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Took us 3 hours to get to Southampton last Saturday, leaving Brighton at 1130. Delays around Lyons Farm, Arundel and Chichester (as well as near the ground). But not at Shoreham flyover! Coming on the M23 last night there were signs up saying the Southwick tunnel was closed.

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here