Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 weekend closures Shoreham-Lancing

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s shameful what has been allowed to happen to Shoreham.

I see they have broken ground on the latest monstrosity on the site of the old civil offices.

I guess they’ll be clearing the protestors away soon .

I lived in Shoreham for years but am quite glad I’m out of there now. A lovely little, ramshackle town transformed into a gleaming hell-scape.

It’s so busy there now, almost impossible to get a table in the cafes. The infrastructure is being swamped.

A great, great shame.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Same old story, people move into a place en masse because of it’s lovely, old world charm and transform it into the same shithole they’ve just come from.

Asides all the ghastly Benidorm style blocks going up, it’s filling Shoreham full of the yoga mat and labradoodle mob. Hard to find a decent fry-up in town now, it’s all halloumi wraps and smashed avocado.

That beautiful skyline of Shoreham looking over from beach-side is being whittled down to the spire and the estate agents’ flag. And the “no higher than spire” is about to be breached by the new block by the Welly.

😞

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Same old story, people move into a place en masse because of it’s lovely, old world charm and transform it into the same shithole they’ve just come from.

Asides all the ghastly Benidorm style blocks going up, it’s filling Shoreham full of the yoga mat and labradoodle mob. Hard to find a decent fry-up in town now, it’s all halloumi wraps and smashed avocado.

That beautiful skyline of Shoreham looking over from beach-side is being whittled down to the spire and the estate agents’ flag. And the “no higher than spire” is about to be breached by the new block by the Welly.

😞
Some of us like halloumi wraps, and Mrs Not Andy Naylor is a fan of smashed avocado (yoga and larbradoodles not so much). But I agree about the view from the beach. And did anyone imagine that the glass sides of the bridge wouldn't be shattered on a regular basis?

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Plus ca change.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some of us like halloumi wraps, and Mrs Not Andy Naylor is a fan of smashed avocado (yoga and larbradoodles not so much). But I agree about the view from the beach. And did anyone imagine that the glass sides of the bridge wouldn't be shattered on a regular basis?
I Believe the glass was down to being unable to get the correct tension? Having said that, I’ve heard many differing explanations for the weird shattering glass.

There was a time when you’d find many Brightonians who had never been to Shoreham. Now they’re all saving up to live here.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

😞
Victory for the Poplar Front though. A combination of strong local sentiment and crusty activism.

I do worry about congestion, pollution, local resources and the character of the place, but at the same time, people need somewhere to live and we all live somewhere, which at some point was a green space. At the same time I am not going to get misty eyed over a combination of old warehouses, scrap yards and a butane gas outlet. On the opposite side of the river there are fairly ordinary flats rendered extraordinary by their view over the river. I don't begrudge the incomers, who will also be able to appreciate this view.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I find it really sad what has happened and is still happening to Shoreham. It is still full of character around St Marys Church and the paved over street to the coast road. Unfortunately, that is about it.

I lived longer in Shoreham than anywhere else in the UK, and although I now live in France I still have a bolt-hole there. Everytime I come back, I see another block of flats being built. Traffic jams, lack of infrastructure and a total mess on the coast road to Southwick.

What astonishes me more is the price of property there. I never ever thought I would see the day that Lancing is now better than Shoreham. If ever a place was up its own arse these days, sadly it is Shoreham by Sea.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Lancing is the next to be gentrified, already starting with the new development by Cala Homes on New Monks Farm and the new building going up near Beach Green Hotel, on the corner of South Street and Brighton Road. The station is a big plus along with lower house prices currently. I can see all that changing.
It has arguably a better beach and facilities than Shoreham, even though I was born there.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm probably going to go against the grain here, but as a veteran of 45 years in the town, I still love it and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else. Yes, it's changed and got busier, but that's ALWAYS been the way. It's not like it's a new phenomenon. It makes me laugh when I hear people complain (not necessarily on here) about developments in the town, only to find out that they actually live on somewhere that used to be a wasteland/school/filling station or something else that has been converted into housing! Or the many people who complained vehemently about building on the wasteland that used to house a run-down pub and now attend events and functions that take place at the Arts Centre.

What I also find hilarious is people saying that investment was needed to bring more people to the town and now that the money (and people) have come, the same folk are complaining that it's too busy :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Victory for the Poplar Front though. A combination of strong local sentiment and crusty activism.

I do worry about congestion, pollution, local resources and the character of the place, but at the same time, people need somewhere to live and we all live somewhere, which at some point was a green space. At the same time I am not going to get misty eyed over a combination of old warehouses, scrap yards and a butane gas outlet. On the opposite side of the river there are fairly ordinary flats rendered extraordinary by their view over the river. I don't begrudge the incomers, who will also be able to appreciate this view.
Ah, is the tree saved? It’ll look lovely next to the massive block of flats.

I agree that the largely derelict industrial spaces on the riverside are no great loss. And I don’t object to housing being built in its place .

However, the blocks going up are all luxury apartments, all massive and all out of character for the area.

They will shroud existing dwellings in permanent shadow and take chunks of the downs views away for existing residents.

The infrastructure is not in place to accommodate the vast increase in population and the now high cost of living in Shoreham makes new properties only affordable to the wealthy.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm probably going to go against the grain here, but as a veteran of 45 years in the town, I still love it and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else. Yes, it's changed and got busier, but that's ALWAYS been the way. It's not like it's a new phenomenon. It makes me laugh when I hear people complain (not necessarily on here) about developments in the town, only to find out that they actually live on somewhere that used to be a wasteland/school/filling station or something else that has been converted into housing! Or the many people who complained vehemently about building on the wasteland that used to house a run-down pub and now attend events and functions that take place at the Arts Centre.

What I also find hilarious is people saying that investment was needed to bring more people to the town and now that the money (and people) have come, the same folk are complaining that it's too busy :lolol:
Echo your sentiments in your first sentence, as a veteran of 64 years (born n bred here) …but then I’m north Shoreham and so close to The Downs..and yet can cycle into town and be by the sea in such a short time

Concern re the developments …..is regarding the infrastructure….supporting the existing residents and new ones, which I have serious doubts over!

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lancing is the next to be gentrified, already starting with the new development by Cala Homes on New Monks Farm and the new building going up near Beach Green Hotel, on the corner of South Street and Brighton Road. The station is a big plus along with lower house prices currently. I can see all that changing.
It was arguably a better beach and facilities than Shoreham, even though I was born there.
The new building by the hotel is a low rise nursing home. I reckon we’ll be okay for a while yet.

However, Lancing could do with a bit of (limited) updating.

I do hope it doesn’t go the way of Shoreham. I moved here to get away from that!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Isn’t the rope-tackle always begging for money to prevent its closure?

Hardly surprising seeing as it largely seems to host unheard of folk “legends”, that terrible topical news comedy, and afternoon screenings of Murder On The Orient Express 🤣

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Isn’t the rope-tackle always begging for money to prevent its closure?

Hardly surprising seeing as it largely seems to host unheard of folk “legends”, that terrible topical news comedy, and afternoon screenings of Murder On The Orient Express 🤣
As a Shoreham resident of 32 years, I think Ropetackle is great for the local area. I haven't seen them 'beg' for money for a number of years. There's an event there virtually every day/evening covering a huge range of musical tastes, comedy, arts, films etc etc. We go a number of times a year and each event is well attended. Last event I was at I was talking to people that had travelled from Portsmouth to attend the show.

Maybe have a look ... see if anything takes your fancy 😜 ... no worries if not ... there's plenty people that do find something!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As a Shoreham resident of 32 years, I think Ropetackle is great for the local area. I haven't seen them 'beg' for money for a number of years. There's an event there virtually every day/evening covering a huge range of musical tastes, comedy, arts, films etc etc. We go a number of times a year and each event is well attended. Last event I was at I was talking to people that had travelled from Portsmouth to attend the show.

Maybe have a look ... see if anything takes your fancy 😜 ... no worries if not ... there's plenty people that do find something!

I was being glib.

I’ve been to a few things there. Some of which I quite enjoyed 🙂

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How has this turned into a let's bash Shoreham thread!! Some of us live here and are quite happy to do so!
I love Shoreham. I was very happy living there. That’s why I see what’s happening to it as a real pity.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How has this turned into a let's bash Shoreham thread!! Some of us live here and are quite happy to do so!
Because many people are so jealous as they don't live in Shoreham?

I live here and like it a lot as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here