Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 weekend closures Shoreham-Lancing

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Indeed. I’ve been both directions and it was fine.
I’d heard reports that Shoreham was gridlocked. I didn’t experience that at all, in either direction.
Shorehamites LOVE to give it a bit of 'gridlock' the moment something is going on with the roads. Makes me laugh as it's normally nothing like gridlock. Busy, yes, but that's to be expected when a large amount of traffic is forced to all go along one route.

There was one Doris on a Facebook group who said that one of the new developments would lead to PERMANENT gridlock :lolol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I might go via the M3/M25 rather than along the south coast this Sunday. It's half an hour longer normally, but if there A27 will be closed, then it could take days to get from Dorset to Brighton.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Shorehamites LOVE to give it a bit of 'gridlock' the moment something is going on with the roads. Makes me laugh as it's normally nothing like gridlock. Busy, yes, but that's to be expected when a large amount of traffic is forced to all go along one route.

There was one Doris on a Facebook group who said that one of the new developments would lead to PERMANENT gridlock :lolol:
Pity you weren’t there Saturday lunchtime…you just might of thought differently rather than throw stones from afar

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I might go via the M3/M25 rather than along the south coast this Sunday. It's half an hour longer normally, but if their A27 will be closed, then it could take days to get from Dorset to Brighton.
If it’s the same lane closure as last Sunday you will be absolutely fine …..going same as normal….and by the time u hit Shoreham post match not that bad really…just don’t cut down to Shoreham that early

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Pity you weren’t there Saturday lunchtime…you just might of thought differently rather than throw stones from afar
Er, I drove east along USR, down Buckingham Road, along Queens Place/Ravens Road and then through Southdown Road, Pond Road, Middle Street and onto High Street at 11:30/12pm on Saturday. Can't get much closer to the 'action' than that!

It was 'okay'. Obvs not as clear as normal, but no-where near as busy as I've seen it on other occasions (the sewage issues in Lancing earlier this year, post-Air Show crash A27 closure or roadworks on the Norfolk bridge, for example) and the traffic was moving, albeit slowly. As I said before, what did people expect, when one of the main East-West routes in the area is shut, with limited alternative options of making that journey? Also, as I said before, I wouldn't complain about it because my vehicle was effectively part of the (perceived) problem!

As for the future? Who knows. Nearly 20 years ago I used to work in Halfords in the evenings and would often see a constant stream of traffic along the A259 at 'rush hour'. From my experiences of being in and around that area at the same times these days, things haven't changed a great deal in two decades!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I might go via the M3/M25 rather than along the south coast this Sunday. It's half an hour longer normally, but if there A27 will be closed, then it could take days to get from Dorset to Brighton.

The road is closed heading West so heading East from Dorset should be OK. It's getting back to Dorset you''ll need to be worried about!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Er, I drove east along USR, down Buckingham Road, along Queens Place/Ravens Road and then through Southdown Road, Pond Road, Middle Street and onto High Street at 11:30/12pm on Saturday. Can't get much closer to the 'action' than that!

It was 'okay'. Obvs not as clear as normal, but no-where near as busy as I've seen it on other occasions (the sewage issues in Lancing earlier this year, post-Air Show crash A27 closure or roadworks on the Norfolk bridge, for example) and the traffic was moving, albeit slowly. As I said before, what did people expect, when one of the main East-West routes in the area is shut, with limited alternative options of making that journey? Also, as I said before, I wouldn't complain about it because my vehicle was effectively part of the (perceived) problem!

As for the future? Who knows. Nearly 20 years ago I used to work in Halfords in the evenings and would often see a constant stream of traffic along the A259 at 'rush hour'. From my experiences of being in and around that area at the same times these days, things haven't changed a great deal in two decades!
I’d agree with a lot of that and obviously need to apologise for part of my post ..we had different experiences as I drove that stretch about half an hour later and it was ‘gridlocked’ in the back streets of Shoreham ..I believe another poster experienced the same ..never seen that before ..with some numpties driving down the wrong way of a one way street
I normally go down Southdown Rd to avoid the gates in Buckingham Rd but just gave up …was the chaos on the actual coast road surprising nah not really ..and as I have said previously on this thread Sunday it wasn’t a big problem for me going to Worthing I just allowed more time ..I certainly wouldn’t have bothered joining the coast road way back in Southwick

As for the future you are quite right who knows

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How have the coast road and the Steyning bypass been when this has been happening?

Wondering if the best route back to Worthing from the game today would be M23 -> A272 -> A23.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How have the coast road and the Steyning bypass been when this has been happening?

Wondering if the best route back to Worthing from the game today would be M23 -> A272 -> A24.
I too am wondering just how much of a clusterfuck the two sensible routes will be in both directions. You may have hit on the right idea :smile:

I imagine coaches from the Worthing area may have problems today if they pick up enroute

Wishing I lived Lewes way today

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Wondering if the best route back to Worthing from the game today would be M23 -> A272 -> A24.
I’d say going up the A23 would be overkill.

Wasn’t much fun yesterday ….and I certainly wouldn’t join the coast road back in Southwick etc ….personally I’d go as far as possible on the a27 then off at Shoreham flyover …up to the Washington roundabout and back down to Worthing from there ….there was a little queue on the a27 yesterday at about 4pm as it went down to one lane ..but not earth shattering….whereas coast road jammed

Ps…I had to go to Storrington at 5pm yesterday and yes the route was busier than normal but u never really crawled …it’s scenic and the only time I hit any major traffic was at the Washington roundabout and it wasn’t that bad

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Yesterday it took me 35 minutes to get from Holmbush to Shoreham flyover on A27. Thought everyone would be using Old Shoreham Rd and A259 and I was going to Steyning so went A27. Very long and frustrating journey.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I too am wondering just how much of a clusterfuck the two sensible routes will be in both directions. You may have hit on the right idea :smile:

I imagine coaches from the Worthing area may have problems today if they pick up enroute

Wishing I lived Lewes way today
Heading east it is absolutely fine. It’s just heading west that’s the issue.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’d say going up the A23 would be overkill.

Wasn’t much fun yesterday ….and I certainly wouldn’t join the coast road back in Southwick etc ….personally I’d go as far as possible on the a27 then off at Shoreham flyover …up to the Washington roundabout and back down to Worthing from there ….there was a little queue on the a27 yesterday at about 4pm as it went down to one lane ..but not earth shattering….whereas coast road jammed

Ps…I had to go to Storrington at 5pm yesterday and yes the route was busier than normal but u never really crawled …it’s scenic and the only time I hit any major traffic was at the Washington roundabout and it wasn’t that bad
The additional volume of football traffic could really stuff up the Steyning bypass route, which is what I was considering taking.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yesterday it took me 35 minutes to get from Holmbush to Shoreham flyover on A27. Thought everyone would be using Old Shoreham Rd and A259 and I was going to Steyning so went A27. Very long and frustrating journey.
...and add the football thousands, all having to come off at Shoreham - could be quite the tailback.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The additional volume of football traffic could really stuff up the Steyning bypass route, which is what I was considering taking.
Surely you'll fire up Google Maps (or your inferior mapping engine of choice) and get real-time traffic info when you travel? :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Old Shoreham road …a259 were very busy ….but I easily joined at 2pm just off Ham Road (not the traffic lights) and it took twenty mins to get to the Norfolk Bridge which really wasn’t that bad
its a point …against that it’s Sunday in March at what 5ish ..I’d say the two would negate each other…..but that’s just my guess

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surely you'll fire up Google Maps (or your inferior mapping engine of choice) and get real-time traffic info when you travel? :shrug:
Waze (owned by Google) has long been my navigational tool of choice. I think on a day like today, it won't be much good as it won't know about all the people coming from Falmer until it's too late.

Normally, I wouldn't be bothered - I'd just take what I find, but I have a Mother's Day dinner I need to get back for.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Shorehams not 'gridlock' but hundreds of lazy fuckers sitting in cars ticking over belching diesel fumes in every side road between the A27 and 259 hardly makes for a pleasant environment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here