Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A259 Travel Chaos

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
There were several other station's then as I understand it, Kemp Town, one Near Elm Grove Primary. That route made sense at the time. They were prepared to make a commitment to public transport

The kemp town station was the end of a line that was built in a fit of business shithousery rather than as a viable commercial operation. There were plans from another railway company to run its own line from London to Brighton. The new route effectively encircled the town making the idea impossible.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There were several other station's then as I understand it, Kemp Town, one Near Elm Grove Primary. That route made sense at the time. They were prepared to make a commitment to public transport

O/T - One other point on the Kemp Town line. At the time it didn't make any sense to build it as the areas were sparsely populated. It was also hideously expensive consisting as it did of an eleven-arch viaduct and a tunnel. It was built solely as a 'spoiler' by the LBSCR to prevent any other rail company from building a another direct main line to Brighton, and perhaps have a better-positioned station. Probably the reason why it was never really popular.

EDIT: Bugger, beaten to it!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
One of those things these days, "Rush Hours" are about 2-3 hours In the morning and 3-4 hours afternoons in to evening, too many people on the roads, too many bigger SUV's, rubbish overpriced rail networks, outside of Brighton poor bus networks, too many people have to travel further for work. Other than that ….

I've been driving from Shoreham to Fareham for work this last month . . .crazy . . . . I wish I could work close enough to walk/cycle . . . . no engineering firms left in Shoreham, all moved out, been knocked down and had houses built on them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've been driving from Shoreham to Fareham for work this last month . . .crazy . . . . I wish I could work close enough to walk/cycle . . . . no engineering firms left in Shoreham, all moved out, been knocked down and had houses built on them.

A pal of mine is in engineering, he used to work at Edwards in Shoreham till they pulled out, he has been working all over Sussex since... he has just got in to a place in Lancing and he's now able to walk to work, he is well chuffed, but for the fact he is earning far less than he got at Edwards all those years back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1215302681687994368[/tweet]

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This backs up my point then. I live in Brighton, use the buses and am completely perplexed by which ticket is going to get me where I want to go the cheapest. I don’t really see why there needs to be different types of tickets now.

No cash, no ticket options. Everyone taps on and off and the computer works out the cheapest charge

Kids could have a pre loaded tap on and tap off bus card or a quid a journey otherwise

Does Is this new tap on tap off system work with debit cards or do you need to register like the old oyster system?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A pal of mine is in engineering, he used to work at Edwards in Shoreham till they pulled out, he has been working all over Sussex since... he has just got in to a place in Lancing and he's now able to walk to work, he is well chuffed, but for the fact he is earning far less than he got at Edwards all those years back.

I'm now just this side of Chi, but would happily take a bit of a pay cut to be able to cycle to,Lancing instead, better for everyone and everything

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[tweet]1215302681687994368[/tweet]

Hope they don't do this sort of thing here in the UK, it's going to cost me a fortune in wiper blades at Halfords if I regularly have to keep scraping cyclists off me windscreen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1215820969232568325[/tweet]

Not wrong!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
[tweet]1215820969232568325[/tweet]

Not wrong!!

Quite wrong I’d say. I’ve come off my bike for lots of reasons, only twice have I come off due to having to swerve cars.

In fact I’d say that quote is one of the daftest I’ve heard.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree. Why are there no routes which go along the seafront, given that most of our attractions are there?

Agree. Bring back the 17 Seafront Service from Rottingdean to Hove Lagoon with cream coloured buses, open top in the summer. you know it makes sense.

Seriously, it is frustrating that there is no seafront bus service to permit visitors and residents alike to stroll one-way along the prom and take a bus back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quite wrong I’d say. I’ve come off my bike for lots of reasons, only twice have I come off due to having to swerve cars.

In fact I’d say that quote is one of the daftest I’ve heard.
You've missed the point.

She's not saying 'dont' wear helmets.

She's saying (although not quite so twatty) 'instead of worrying about my head, while you are in your 2 tonne deathbox.
Why don't you just concentrate on not killing people'.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Yep great idea build loads of houses , and no jobs in the area

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You've missed the point.

She's not saying 'dont' wear helmets.

She's saying (although not quite so twatty) 'instead of worrying about my head, while you are in your 2 tonne deathbox.
Why don't you just concentrate on not killing people'.

Yeah, I got that.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland