Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A259 Travel Chaos

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'd love a tram system connecting Newhaven to somewhere West of Brighton to service those who are just that bit too far away from a train station and don't trust the buses as they are massively unreliable but I know it will never happen.

I'll just have to use the bike more often than I have been recently.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Absolutely terrible this morning. The A259 was at standstill both ways in Peacehaven, when I walked my daughter to school. You can't get in and you can't get out. Feel sorry for people trying to get to work, and I also feel sorry for anyone that needs the emergency services.

The sooner they build a bypass at the back of Peacehaven to join the A26 the better, completion date 2050.

My son caught his usual bus at 6.50am to get to school at BACA, and was still late! I usually cycle from Saltdean to work in Peacehaven as its only a couple of miles, and it takes me less than 10 mins. Had to take the car today and it took me over 40 mins for the same journey. :ohmy:
No idea why the traffic was so bad going East when the major problem was in Rottingdean for the West bound traffic? There was an ambulance in a bus stop opposite the Toby putting a bus passenger / patient on board their rig on a trolley...but the traffic was going way beyond that through Peacehaven. Crazy morning.

I will be back on two wheels tomorrow come rain or shine.

D

Deleted member 22389

My son caught his usual bus at 6.50am to get to school at BACA, and was still late! I usually cycle from Saltdean to work in Peacehaven as its only a couple of miles, and it takes me less than 10 mins. Had to take the car today and it took me over 40 mins for the same journey. :ohmy:
No idea why the traffic was so bad going East when the major problem was in Rottingdean for the West bound traffic? There was an ambulance in a bus stop opposite the Toby putting a bus passenger / patient on board their rig on a trolley...but the traffic was going way beyond that through Peacehaven. Crazy morning.

Crazy indeed. Good for you on using the bike by the way, I understand sometimes it's not possible to use the bike all the time, but unlucky for you the car picked the worst day of all.

I don't need the car in the mornings, that puts me in the position to walk my daughter to school. There is enough traffic as it is on a normal day, without School mums and dads creating extra traffic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The traffic going east is trying to get to Newhaven to use the A27, to get westwards again. The C7 is also snarled up

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1212705123396399104[/tweet]

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I'd only just seen that it was "emergency" works, so I'll let them off. I'll be heading to work via Newhaven and the A27 for the next couple of days then, and any time the A27 is the preferred option something has gone very wrong.

Southern Water now claim that they had a pre agreed permit with BHCC to do these works which, if correct, begs the question why were no signs up allowing people to make other plans?

When you add the accumulative 'lateness' for work (£) and school (education innit) - surely utilities like Southern water should have no choice but to do these works over several shifts and work through the night?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Always dread having to drive on the seafront road anywhere past Kemp Town as I always seem to end up in heavy traffic or jams. Fortunately I rarely have to but living east of Kemp town must be a nightmare . Why do all white van drivers seem to live in peacehaven or woodingdean ! at rush hour in the evening it’s Like a line of white vans along that stretch.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
[tweet]1212705123396399104[/tweet]

We're so far behind in this country when it comes to schemes such as this. It's infuriating. Imagine a central brighton without cars and a tram system - it would be brilliant! But never going to happen - or anything near it - in my lifetime unfortunately.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We're so far behind in this country when it comes to schemes such as this. It's infuriating. Imagine a central brighton without cars and a tram system - it would be brilliant! But never going to happen - or anything near it - in my lifetime unfortunately.

It's just the simplicity of it.

Imagine if you could drive into Brighton but not through it.
Sure the coast makes it less straight forward, but not insurmountable.

It took Ghent 6 years to reach their 18 year transportation goal, while we're still moaning about taking 2 hours to drive across town.

We were doing that 6 years ago and will still be doing that in 18 years time.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
. Why do all white van drivers seem to live in peacehaven or woodingdean ! at rush hour in the evening it’s Like a line of white vans along that stretch.

Probably because they want to live in a house that they have bought for the same price as a one bed flat in Brighton & Hove.
The house has parking for their white van, and after a hard days graft they can pull up on their drive, go indoors and relax.

Hope this answers your question.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Think it's going to be the same today.

I didn't manage to ride the bike today as I had to do a round loop of Rottingdean - Falmer - Kingston - Newhaven - Peacehaven because my son needed to be at cricket training by 8am at BACA, & he didn't trust the buses after yesterday.
The traffic was fine on the roads everywhere. Less than a 5 min holdup in Rottingdean and that was it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18146679.bus-prices-will-rise-brighton-increased-congestion/

And now bus prices are going up .... due to congestion ...... leading to more people taking cars ...... therefore even more congestion

Head, firmly in hands

“For example, it takes a route seven bus 31 per cent longer to get from Hove to Brighton Marina than it did ten years ago." 31% in ten years! Worth pointing out that a lot of that increase is caused by the removal of road and parking space and its replacement with bus and cycle lanes. Has the penny finally dropped that simply providing bus and cycle lanes does NOT encourage people to use them? I've no doubt that they result in an increase in bus and cycle useage - but not nearly enough and the remaining road users more than swamp the remaining road space. Nor do higher parking or fuel prices act as a deterrent as driving is relatively price inelastic

For a town like Brighton there is no simple solution - but building P 'n' R sites on the outskirts (like Stat Brother's Utrecht) and banning all cars from the city centre would be a good place to start. And making public transport affordable.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Probably because they want to live in a house that they have bought for the same price as a one bed flat in Brighton & Hove.
The house has parking for their white van, and after a hard days graft they can pull up on their drive, go indoors and relax.

Hope this answers your question.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here