Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A23 Tonight

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Stuck at pease pottage services and expecting to spend the night here. Cheered by a chat with a North Stander though.

Be careful you don't get a parking ticket through the post most service stations are only about 2/3 hours parking with cameras checking you entering and leaving the service station
Someone I know drove into a service station to have a break from driving coz they were falling asleep at the wheel ,fellasleep in the car for 4 hours in car park weeks later got a parking ticket
They say don't drive while tired so someone does the right thing by stopping and ends up getting a fine

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I had to take the old man to Heathrow today. Lucky beggar, he's off to Cape Town for a school reunion, with 28 degrees when he lands today and at least 24 for the rest of the week, sunny all the time - he should be over Africa by now. We left home at 4 pm and got to Heathrow in only just over an hour. Then the fun began. I couldn't work out what had happened - the radio said something about a lamp having fallen on the M25 somewhere near Leatherhead and the motorway having to be closed to repair it. Clockwise was more or less fine all the way, but anticlockwise was solid from Leatherhead back to Staines, and we duly joined the queue. Both Mum and I were desperate for the you know where and the plan was to stop at Cobham, but with the jam, yours truly, being clever, decided to go down the M3 to Fleet. After doing the necessary and having a meal we chose to avoid the M25, and took the A331 and A31 back to Guildford, then headed down the A281 to Horsham. All fine till we got to Broadbridge Heath and then it all really started as the snow was falling heavily, with no gritting and the roads awful. Having to choose whether to go north or south, knowing that there are roadworks between Horsham and Crawley I gambled and went south. We hit the jam on the A24 by Hop Oast and crawled to Buck Barn crossroads. Fine along the A272 until Cuckfield, then gridlock through Haywards Heath, which seemed to have been caused by one goon parking his/her car on the A272 opposite Frost's, because after that we had a clear, albeit a very slow and careful run via the A272 and A275. We finally got home just after midnight. Okay, we didn't have anything like as bad a run as some people did, and we were listening to the story of the A23 on BBC Sussex, but West Sussex County Council have disgraced themselves. Gritters out at 8 am this morning, then nothing till 8 pm this evening, and of course most of them couldn't get through. Some serious questions to answer there I think. And don't give Osborne's cuts as an excuse. People driving down from the north said councils there managed to grit, as East Sussex County Council managed to do.

Left work (Gatwick) at 16:45 and arrived back home in Shoreham at 00:45.. Eight hours drive, the first problems were handcross and ice going down the hill, then Pyecombe was gridlocked doing at one point 0.2miles in 2 hours. Feel for the drivers still stuck now, was a complete mess..

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Going northbound this morning at 2:30 was clear until just before the roadworks, think they were holding traffic back whilst they cleared the road so went via a24 upto Gatwick that way, was only 1 minute late for work.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Just finishing a night shift here in Calais and its been carnage all night. Not sure which way the snow is blowing, but if youre about to getwhat we've had all night, good luck!!!

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I'm in Germany, but my wife says she's had six inches tonight, so it must be pretty bad in Shoreham-by-Sea :shrug: :moo:

Divorce in the offing then?

Sorry referring to a bad joke about 9 inches of snow in the Caribbean...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just finishing a night shift here in Calais and its been carnage all night. Not sure which way the snow is blowing, but if youre about to getwhat we've had all night, good luck!!!

its going off to the east, if its moving at all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Carnage in France. Surely someone here can pin that on English county councils and the Highways Agency.

Bloody European snow! Coming over here - stealing our jobs! If we had Nigel Farrage in charge we'd have sun every day.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Feel for those stuck in their cars but had to laugh at someone who was stuck and on Heart this morning. He phoned in and stated that the Police had been tweeting that they were doing all they can. He complained that they didn't say what the problem was or where it was. 1. How much info about sussex roads can you get in140 characters and, 2. LOOK OUT OF YOUR CAR WINDOW!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I had to take the old man to Heathrow today. Lucky beggar, he's off to Cape Town for a school reunion, with 28 degrees when he lands today and at least 24 for the rest of the week, sunny all the time - he should be over Africa by now. We left home at 4 pm and got to Heathrow in only just over an hour. Then the fun began. I couldn't work out what had happened - the radio said something about a lamp having fallen on the M25 somewhere near Leatherhead and the motorway having to be closed to repair it. Clockwise was more or less fine all the way, but anticlockwise was solid from Leatherhead back to Staines, and we duly joined the queue. Both Mum and I were desperate for the you know where and the plan was to stop at Cobham, but with the jam, yours truly, being clever, decided to go down the M3 to Fleet. After doing the necessary and having a meal we chose to avoid the M25, and took the A331 and A31 back to Guildford, then headed down the A281 to Horsham. All fine till we got to Broadbridge Heath and then it all really started as the snow was falling heavily, with no gritting and the roads awful. Having to choose whether to go north or south, knowing that there are roadworks between Horsham and Crawley I gambled and went south. We hit the jam on the A24 by Hop Oast and crawled to Buck Barn crossroads. Fine along the A272 until Cuckfield, then gridlock through Haywards Heath, which seemed to have been caused by one goon parking his/her car on the A272 opposite Frost's, because after that we had a clear, albeit a very slow and careful run via the A272 and A275. We finally got home just after midnight. Okay, we didn't have anything like as bad a run as some people did, and we were listening to the story of the A23 on BBC Sussex, but West Sussex County Council have disgraced themselves. Gritters out at 8 am this morning, then nothing till 8 pm this evening, and of course most of them couldn't get through. Some serious questions to answer there I think. And don't give Osborne's cuts as an excuse. People driving down from the north said councils there managed to grit, as East Sussex County Council managed to do.

Ever heard of the 'paragragh'? :D

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Good grief, it's all over the national news. I drove home from Heathrow to Woking last night and it was clean and clear and yet the other side of the downs it's like armageddon. It doesn't look from the pictures as though it is all that heavy so it's hard to see just why it is so bad.

Sympathy to all of you stuck in the mess. Take care out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here