Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A23 Tonight

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Gritters, for your information, are designed to try and prevent ice from forming on the road. They do not prevent, and have almost no impact against snow settling. The "grit" is a mixture of salt and brine solution, which requires vehicles to drive over it and crunch it into the road surface to have an effect. This does not stop snow settling, the only way that can be prevented is by a continuous stream of traffic driving.

During slow times- ie early afternoon- when traffic is light, snow settles easily on the roads, though there's not enough for it to be ploughed. That can't really be helped, it's just what nature does. Then later on, traffic builds up, by which time the snow is already laying. Traffic slows, due to conditions, which builds tailbacks. Some cars then fail to anticipate the poor conditions and crash, causing more tailbacks. By this point, all the traffic is at a standstill, and neither snowploughs nor (irrelevant in snow terms) gritters can get through anyway.

You're welcome :thumbsup:

Yet, when I went to the grit bin and shovelled grit on the paths near my house, all the snow melted!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was supposed to start a new job tomorrow after a week off looking outside in shoreham it's 5 inches deep & still snowing
Another day tomorrow watching Netflix me thinks

I started grass cutting last Monday....stuffed with that and my maintenance work until this lot clears

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Yet, when I went to the grit bin and shovelled grit on the paths near my house, all the snow melted!

Jeez---you mean you had grit in yours :eek: - ours has been empty since Christmas despite phoning our wonderful council several times.
Tonight we have had thirty odd cars + one ambulance trying to get up the hill past my house.
A big :thumbsup: to all the students who helped push them up the hill. (They saved me having to go out:lolol:)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I had the same problem just before 6pm. Tried to reverse back onto my drive but just span up and slid all over the place.

Parked on road, went to garage to retrieve 25 kilo bag of rock salt (4 more still in garage) and spread it about a bit.

Ten mintes later, hey presto, snow gone and nice safe reverse parking manouvre performed. Someone should tell the council about this 'magic' stuff.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gritters, for your information, are designed to try and prevent ice from forming on the road. They do not prevent, and have almost no impact against snow settling. The "grit" is a mixture of salt and brine solution, which requires vehicles to drive over it and crunch it into the road surface to have an effect. This does not stop snow settling, the only way that can be prevented is by a continuous stream of traffic driving.

During slow times- ie early afternoon- when traffic is light, snow settles easily on the roads
, though there's not enough for it to be ploughed. That can't really be helped, it's just what nature does. Then later on, traffic builds up, by which time the snow is already laying. Traffic slows, due to conditions, which builds tailbacks. Some cars then fail to anticipate the poor conditions and crash, causing more tailbacks. By this point, all the traffic is at a standstill, and neither snowploughs nor (irrelevant in snow terms) gritters can get through anyway.

You're welcome :thumbsup:

With respect Edna, most "A" roads have little or no " Light Traffic " in this day and age, from 2.30 onwards the roads are clogged with mothers dashing too and from schools which then merges in to the 2 1/2 hour "rush hour". I can fully comprehend any A road being blocked by settling over night snow falls but never have I seen allegedly gritted roads clog so quickly given the actual rate of snow fall today.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

True, but you probably shovel loads out there, and pavements are narrow. The main trunk roads aren't. I'm just giving you the science bit. It's snowed all afternoon, and unless traffic remained heavy all afternoon, scooping snow up from the roads, it was always going to settle. Sometimes nature wins.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With respect Edna, most "A" roads have little or no " Light Traffic " in this day and age, from 2.30 onwards the roads are clogged with mothers dashing too and from schools which then merges in to the 2 1/2 hour "rush hour". I can fully comprehend any A road being blocked by settling over night snow falls but never have I seen allegedly gritted roads clog so quickly given the actual rate of snow fall today.

Will say it again: grit is designed to prevent ice. Not snow. It's not the same thing. I don't know WHY it's that way, only that it is.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Just got in, 5 hours from Crawley. Not a piece of grit / salt to be seen. Thanks very much.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Will say it again: grit is designed to prevent ice. Not snow. It's not the same thing. I don't know WHY it's that way, only that it is.

So...if they don't grit the snow will then freeze to ice? They grit don't they and its the cars that are supposed to grind it into the surface..as I understand it no cars makes the grit less effective.......hmmm I'm not convinced

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Step-daughter stuck on A23 somewhere between Bolney and Pease Pottage heading north. Says she's been stationery for nearly 3 hours now. 2 lanes at a complete standstill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here