Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A23 Tonight

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Step daughter finally got to her boyfriends at about 2am. Not bad, she left work in Rottingdean at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon, and got to his village near Horsham at 2am this morning.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
71988_428277150596896_592768874_n.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had two emails in my work inbox this morning, one from a director sent at 9.42 last night saying he was stuck on Handcross Hill, another sent at 6.37 this morning saying he's just started moving again!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
u've been had ..someones reporting there wife had six inches in shoreham..i'd complain to the council

Six inches last night and apparently eight inches this morning. :lol:

In all seriousness, what's the M23 and A23 like now? Gonna be around that way at 3ish

Six inches last night and apparently eight inches this morning. :lol:

In all seriousness, what's the M23 and A23 like now? Gonna be around that way at 3ish

All our staff are in now, A23 is OK. If it snows again forget it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tuned into the BBC for an update - guy was at Pease Pottage. Excellent I thought. Did he mention the current conditions? Did he ****.

The snow has melted on the roads down here, so is the a23 completely clear now?

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
I left work in Surrey at 5.15. No problem around M25 and down M23 towards Gatwick, then got stuck after Pease Pottage at around 6pm.
Got home in BH at 4.50 am this morning!
11.5 hours journey.

No food or water with me as didn't know the weather was going to be bad; not much on websites to suggest otherwise before I left work.

BBC Sussex radio were brilliant, right through to 2am with all the info they had and people calling in with updates & news.

Two biggest complaints -

1. Why was seemingly nothing done to treat the roads/clear them earlier - why wait till there was a major issue? The Highways Agency/Council coming in for biggest slagging. Police were mainly praised for doing best they could.

2. No information. Very little coming through from Police or authorities on what was going on & estimated resolution times.

The first one is preventative action, the second one is communications.
OK, shit happens and it would have been better to prevent something like this if possible. But once there's a major issue, communication is key and this was very sadly lacking.

Sitting in your car for hours on end, not moving and not knowing what's going on and when things may get better is dire.

One of the presenters on BBC Sussex was saying (and I totally agree) - why isn't there a communications plan in place for major incidents like this?
Key organisations involved in trying to resolve the situation, like County Council, Highways & Police, should have a well rehearsed, co-ordinated communications plan.
Most people in situations like this turn to their local radio station for information; why aren't the authorities providing this information to them to broadcast?

If there is a comms plan, then it was very poorly implemented!!

Anyway, feel like pants today and hoping the Albion can cheer me up by winning against Barnsley! :)

p.s. Badger - unless your director's email was delayed being sent till 6.37 or unless he fell asleep or left his car abandoned, that sounds suspiciously like's bollocks! Otherwise how did I get home in BH before he got moving?...

matt_32510

Feb 7, 2011
Portslade
Tuned into the BBC for an update - guy was at Pease Pottage. Excellent I thought. Did he mention the current conditions? Did he ****.

The snow has melted on the roads down here, so is the a23 completely clear now?

I have just come down the a23 and it is all clear.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I left work in Surrey at 5.15. No problem around M25 and down M23 towards Gatwick, then got stuck after Pease Pottage at around 6pm.
Got home in BH at 4.50 am this morning!
11.5 hours journey.

No food or water with me as didn't know the weather was going to be bad; not much on websites to suggest otherwise before I left work.

BBC Sussex radio were brilliant, right through to 2am with all the info they had and people calling in with updates & news.

Two biggest complaints -

1. Why was seemingly nothing done to treat the roads/clear them earlier - why wait till there was a major issue? The Highways Agency/Council coming in for biggest slagging. Police were mainly praised for doing best they could.

2. No information. Very little coming through from Police or authorities on what was going on & estimated resolution times.

The first one is preventative action, the second one is communications.
OK, shit happens and it would have been better to prevent something like this if possible. But once there's a major issue, communication is key and this was very sadly lacking.

Sitting in your car for hours on end, not moving and not knowing what's going on and when things may get better is dire.

One of the presenters on BBC Sussex was saying (and I totally agree) - why isn't there a communications plan in place for major incidents like this?
Key organisations involved in trying to resolve the situation, like County Council, Highways & Police, should have a well rehearsed, co-ordinated communications plan.
Most people in situations like this turn to their local radio station for information; why aren't the authorities providing this information to them to broadcast?

If there is a comms plan, then it was very poorly implemented!!

Anyway, feel like pants today and hoping the Albion can cheer me up by winning against Barnsley! :)

p.s. Badger - unless your director's email was delayed being sent till 6.37 or unless he fell asleep or left his car abandoned, that sounds suspiciously like's bollocks! Otherwise how did I get home in BH before he got moving?...

A fully charged phone and following Twitter is useful in that situation. Sussex Police, Highways agency, BBC Sussex and various others were tweeting all last night.

LE19

<snip>
1. Why was seemingly nothing done to treat the roads/clear them earlier - why wait till there was a major issue?

I left Pease Pottage at 1pm yesterday, travelling back up north. It was already pretty obvious it would get nasty if the weather continued, and it was forecast several days in advance. I didn't see a gritter until approaching M1/J20 - at which point I stupidly turned off and headed cross-country through another blizzard!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for the updates everyone.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Christ, how many gritting lorries do people think there are out there?! They are a finite resource and In any case would not have prevented the problems on the roads even if there were double the amount. I'm sure some people just love to blame someone else instead of just accepting that sometimes the elements win and we just have to cope as best we can. I doubt that will stop the daily mailesque outrage from some people though.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Christ, how many gritting lorries do people think there are out there?! They are a finite resource and In any case would not have prevented the problems on the roads even if there were double the amount. I'm sure some people just love to blame someone else instead of just accepting that sometimes the elements win and we just have to cope as best we can. I doubt that will stop the daily mailesque outrage from some people though.

You would expect them to use the finite number of gritting lorries on the trunk routes first though.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have no idea how the High Agency is supposed to deal with natural phenomena like this.
My Niece left Gatwick at about 1600 Hrs after her flight got in, about 15 to 20 mins later a friend of mine left. My niece arrived home in Woodingdean at about 1715 about 45 minutes longer than usual. Meanwhile my friend arrived home off of Ditchling Road at 0440 this morning.
A 20 minute difference in departure time with a 10 hr difference in travel time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here