Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A message to Tammy Abraham

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I love the assumptions on here that our recruitment department are somehow unaware of all of the woulda/shoulda/coulda options posted on these threads.

I suspect we have made enquiries on every single one.

You've seen the work of our recruitment team, right? Probably too busy searching in the Bulgarian 2nd division in a bid to find the Guatemalan Messi...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
You've seen the work of our recruitment team, right? Probably too busy searching in the Bulgarian 2nd division in a bid to find the Guatemalan Messi...

Of course.
You are right that is how our recruitment team operate.

Silly me

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I wonder why people keep mentioning him when they dont mention Lewandowski, Zlatan, Lukaku, Haaland etc? Its pretty much the same level of realism. Giroud will either stay at Chelsea or move to a club like Juventus/PSG/Bayern/Inter/Milan/Barca/Real. He is not coming to Brighton, its not happening. That he's been out of the Chelsea team at lengthy periods dont really reflect on his quality or his status in football.

I think a lot of us have mentioned Giroud for a long while as he would be the ultimate replacement for Murray. That’s the only reason. But most accept it’s completely unlikely for him to join us.

When he leaves Chelsea he’ll have the pick of the best clubs in Europe, the US, China.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Tammy Abraham would be an absolutely incredible signing. Biggest signing in our history?? Think we would need to be absolutely smashing our transfer record to get him down here, £50m+?

In 1964 we signed Bobby Smith who is still the third highest goal scorer in Spurs’ history. 208 goals in 317 matches, behind only Harry Kane and Jimmy Greaves. If people were suggesting signing Harry Kane I would take your point. As it’s Tammy Abraham I will assume your tongue is ever so slightly in your cheek.....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

This, absolutely - despite just about every major club in the world been tracking above mentioned player since the age of about, oh EIGHT :rolleyes:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
In 1964 we signed Bobby Smith who is still the third highest goal scorer in Spurs’ history. 208 goals in 317 matches, behind only Harry Kane and Jimmy Greaves. If people were suggesting signing Harry Kane I would take your point. As it’s Tammy Abraham I will assume your tongue is ever so slightly in your cheek.....

Smith was 31 and past his prime when he signed, Abraham is probably yet to reach his prime but is already a top class international striker, there is a world of difference but I find it highly unlikely we will be able to sign a striker who could sign for a multitude of top 6 or European giants.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

In 1964, players caught the bus to the game, and were paid similar wages to men in factories. Bobby Smith had gambling debts so there is no comparison.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Abraham is behind Werner and Giroud in the pecking order, and will be 4th choice if Haaland joined. The very fact they are interested in Haaland suggests they think they need another striker.

Abraham has only recently had a contract extension and one website has him on £47K per week until June 2022 upgraded to £82K per week until June 2023, although there are also reports he wants £130K per week to bring him into line with the likes of Pulisic and Havertz.

Abraham has to weigh up being a sub and picking up a big salary in a big league vs. starting every week at a lesser club on a smaller salary in a big league, vs. big salary, regular starts but a shit league.

It all comes down to what presses a particular players buttons. The one move in the Prem that I'm sure he'd love would be to Anfield to replace an underperforming and declining Firmino, and I could see him starting regularly for the Reds. Either way, I don't see him signing for us any time soon.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Abraham is behind Werner and Giroud in the pecking order, and will be 4th choice if Haaland joined. The very fact they are interested in Haaland suggests they think they need another striker.

Abraham has only recently had a contract extension and one website has him on £47K per week until June 2022 upgraded to £82K per week until June 2023, although there are also reports he wants £130K per week to bring him into line with the likes of Pulisic and Havertz.

Abraham has to weigh up being a sub and picking up a big salary in a big league vs. starting every week at a lesser club on a smaller salary in a big league, vs. big salary, regular starts but a shit league.

It all comes down to what presses a particular players buttons. The one move in the Prem that I'm sure he'd love would be to Anfield to replace an underperforming and declining Firmino, and I could see him starting regularly for the Reds. Either way, I don't see him signing for us any time soon.

there would certainly be tons of clubs happy to pay him at least double what we would and that's just in the Prem.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The point of investing in the academy is to avoid paying daft wages to academy products from elsewhere. I would be very unhappy if the club were to go the way you are suggesting.

I totally understand your point of view and understand the club's finances, I think my point is just to highlight that you get what you pay for with strikers. If you pay an average salary you get an average player.
I like the academy policy and we have seen some quality young players purchased in the likes of Lamptey, MacAllister, Bissouma, White to mention a few but I think we will struggle to get a quality striker without having to pay top dollar.
To a degree I don't blame Maupay for a lack of goals, he simply isn't good enough, the same with Connelly.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What strikers could we have bought ?

It’s getting tiresome with the continued abuse of our strikers so put some names down we could have seriously singed after spunking 24 mill
last time,

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Come down to Brighton.

You’re guaranteed to play every week. We’ll set you up enough chances to get 20+ goals a season here, maybe more. You can be a legend and the natural successor to Zamora.

Also lockdown is ending and our beaches are pretty damn good in the summer.

[tweet]1364518427117912064[/tweet]

That was sounding really promising until I got to the bit about our beaches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here