Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A (lifetime) ban for abusing an Albion player on twitter/NSC/wherever?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What about where abuse where it's also an accurate description? Because Agustein was fat and he most definitely was a c*nt

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont use twitter but for those that do would it be acceptable to criticize a player on his twitter account provided it is int abusive. eg. to DS " you cost us that game when you pushed the ball straight to the strikers feet, accept responsibility and dont blame others". Not that I expect that to happen this season as he seems to be holding the ball better.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be serious there is a tiny minority of comments, often on Twitter, but sometimes on forums that are directed at footballers, and other club staff, that can be racist, homophobic and can contain credible threats of violence, defamation or worse. Luckily there is very little of this , as far as i can see, in / around the Albion and the club already has a good relationship with the police and its attitude to for example homophobic social media comments.. However this type of abuse can be upsetting, can cause real offense and distress especially to young staff. There should be a duty of care as some have mentioned and that includes players, and reminding season ticket holders of the possible sanctions in the form of updated terms is just one of the things that the club can , and in my view, should be doing. Incidentally , and purely as a user, then NSC clearly already has impressive behind the scenes moderation processes and again in my view its already one of the best policed football forums online. Remember also that the players themselves have strict terms of employment and use of social media is part of that.

This doesn't mean, i imagine , that football clubs (and the Albion aren't the only club with terms like this and i've no idea about the origination of these terms) want or would seek to police NSC or Twitter so that its only just boring old posters like me sticking up for Paul Barber that is allowed.:) But there is a tiny minority of behaviour that does cross the line by football fans online and the club, it looks like, would want to be able to take action. .

PS: Blaming David Stockdale for mistakes/goals on Twitter is i would say absolutely fair comment. Mentioning him in your Tweet so he sees it is rude. Neither have anything to do with the kind of behaviour, i think, the club is seeking to illustrate here.

Agree with all off that, but just to clarify - I didn't criticise Stockdales performance on Twitter, either directly to him or anywhere else. I criticised his retweeting of the lickers saying he wasn't to blame and that it was the defence who were at fault, going AWOL etc. I've never directly tweeted a player criticising a performance, nor would I. But with that being said, if they're putting themselves out there on a public forum, they'll have to learn to live with positive and negative remarks. As long as it doesn't cross over into outright abuse, then I see no issue with it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I dont use twitter but for those that do would it be acceptable to criticize a player on his twitter account provided it is int abusive. eg. to DS " you cost us that game when you pushed the ball straight to the strikers feet, accept responsibility and dont blame others". Not that I expect that to happen this season as he seems to be holding the ball better.

Its a fine line. Personally I'd never go down that route, because if he responded then of course he'd be on the defensive, it could easily escalate and end up in a right old binfest that would achieve nothing except bad feeling. But I'd be an interested observer :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Twitter gives a valuable insight into how a player's mind works. Or in most cases, doesn't work. Clubs should strongly advise them against using it really, because the majority are not that bright. Or if they insist on using it, then the player should sign a club disclaimer and be treated as a private individual, same as, say, Katie Hopkins is, with all that that entails...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Who decides the line between criticism and abuse?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygg2KlicnOQ

This reminds me of the Monty Python Piranha Brothers sketch about:
"I had transgressed the Unwritten law"
"What had you actually done"
" Well, he didn't tell me that, but I trusted Dinsdale that I had transgressed the unwritten law."

It's about 4 minutes in with Stig O'Tracy on the above clip, if it works. The rest of it is worth watching too, though, as is the part 2 bit. I still remember seeing it for the first time in 197?, when I was still at school in the sixth form. which I left in 1971.

A question sil vous plait [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

If a player openly abuses a fan on twitter or in person will the penalty be the same or does it only apply to the Riff Raff who pay their wages?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Can't imagine there'd be much wrong with that though I would question the mentality of the person tweeting it in the first place.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A question sil vous plait [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

If a player openly abuses a fan on twitter or in person will the penalty be the same or does it only apply to the Riff Raff who pay their wages?

You're aware you're addressing Bozza here, not Paul Barber I take it.

(although I'll admit to not yet having seen them in the same room)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anybody else find this quote from the link more than a tad SINISTER? ???

‘Seagulls Priority members and match-ticket purchasers must at all times do everything within their power and control to protect and enhance the good name of the club...'

OBEY

What a bizarre paragraph.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now that Leon Best no longer works for the club, can we abuse him?

This is my experience on a couple of Facebook pages I run. Most folk want to play adults.
So they're THAT kind of page.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So do we now need a legal team sitting alongside us while we tap away commenting on the latest game.

I can see lots of 'In my view....' and 'allegedly.....' to safeguard and court room appearance at the Amex.

Not sure how this would work during a game if someone misses an open goal from a few yards out, or concedes a needless penalty in the last minute so we lose the game.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Another step closer to 1984! It shouldn't have to be said so that fact it has feels well, sort of threatening. Comes across as abusive in a funny sort of way itself!

It's a thumbs down from me. Unnecessarily 'controlling'.

It's just about weeding out the utter plonkers who go after players on twitter, right? What's the problem with this? Barber IN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here