Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A (lifetime) ban for abusing an Albion player on twitter/NSC/wherever?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So BHA want sensor what we might want to say or write?

Looks like I'll have to replace my negative words with names of objects near me, e.g:
"That Chris O'Grady is absolutely plastic cup and I for one, can't wait for the day he Blu-Tack's the staplegun-less highlighter."

That ok?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's a wee bit uncalled for, and pretty patronising.

But, I shall bow to your clearly superior knowledge of everything and step out of this thread.

Shit. I should have added a smiley or something, and rephrased it. I didn't mean it to come out the way it did and the tone (in my head) wasn't patronising. Apologies.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A serious question from this is if the club want to ban someone for being abusive on NSC, will they demand the personal details of the user from Bozza and will they try to hold Bozza liable if he refuses?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Thank God Barnes has gone. The crowd size would be like Preistfield days.

there would not be that many left on here either
does this forum count as social media?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
A serious question from this is if the club want to ban someone for being abusive on NSC, will they demand the personal details of the user from Bozza and will they try to hold Bozza liable if he refuses?

I think this is a very interesting point. If people are targeting abuse at players directly on twitter etc I agree with the clubs stance. However, on a football message board I believe all supporters should be entitled to their opinion, asumming the posts aren't libellous...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Accepted, thanks.

I did think it was a bit out of character from your normal posting style!

:thumbsup:

I did think WTF when I re-read my post :lolol: I was busy in the middle of making up German names on the "What other German players" thread and posted that reply in hast without really thinking.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
there would not be that many left on here either
does this forum count as social media?

Only normally Glas, otherwise during a binfest it's Unsocial Media.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm not convinced that the vast majority of what is said on here would fall foul of the wording that Bozza's quoted. The key phrase is, imo, ".....either in person or via any form of communication with club staff...." (my emphasis).

Clearly, saying that player x is a useless, fat, balding Kemy on here isn't "in person"; nor is it a "form of communication with club staff". It's a communication about staff, not with.

There might be an argument that says that if we know that a club employee posts on here then any abuse on here concerning that specific employee might possibly be deemed a communication with him/her; but, unless the abuse was actually addressed to the individual, say by replying to a post written by them, or by notifying them using "@ username" or by PMing them, even that's a stretch, imo.

AFAIK, the only staff member we know posts here is Insider. Oh, and [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] , of course :wink:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Only normally Glas, otherwise during a binfest it's Unsocial Media.

I only asked Skip as I thought I had slipped back to 1984............yea I wish :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Critical:
I don't know why we signed Fred Bloggs, he's not capable enough at this level. His positional sense was poor today, it affected the team performance. His passing was even worse. He was a bad choice. He looks overweight and unfit.

Abusive:
Fred Bloggs is a tosser, and fat t**t. We should send the c*** out on loan.

There's rarely much in between.

To be honest, for every person banned from a forum there will probably be five more who are happy to post as a result. This is my experience on a couple of Facebook pages I run. Most folk want to play adults. And a page also becomes a lot more interesting and informative.

The downside is that some trolls are fun to laugh at. Although some of them just don't realise we are laughing at them as opposed to with them.

I think you've misunderstood.

What is being suggested here is not that the individual being abusive online / on twitter, is banned from forums / twitter, but that as a result, could be banned by the club from the Amex.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Excluding those who's heads are turned and don't turn up, 'cough', the two with surnames that start with B.'cough', and any that don't make an effort and give their BEST, 'cough'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I took this as meaning abuse and foul language on the clubs Facebook and Twitter page, as well as players own Twitter feeds as opposed to NSC.

Hopefully they're not going to be Stockdale-sensitive with all this. He had a flounce after I suggested it probably wasn't too wise throwing his team-mates under the bus after he was happily retweeting criticism of the defence (and thus absolving himself) in the aftermath of the home defeat to Boro.

It was criticical, not abusive, can't see anything wrong with that. As long as that's accepted, and we're not edging towards a happy-clappy-isn't-everything-at-BHA-wonderful North Korean type culture on the clubs and players social media outlets...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I think that's a good thing. Everybody has a right to vent their anger when things are not going right, but to target individuals and be abusive towards them is not necessary.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think this is a very interesting point. If people are targeting abuse at players directly on twitter etc I agree with the clubs stance. However, on a football message board I believe all supporters should be entitled to their opinion, asumming the posts aren't libellous...

Surely it is possible to post an opinion without being abusive isn't it? It is not difficult for most.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I took this as meaning the clubs Facebook and Twitter page, as well as players own Twitter feeds as opposed to NSC.

Hopefully they're not going to be Stockdale-sensitive with all this. He had a flounce after I suggested it probably wasn't too wise throwing his team-mates under the bus after he was happily retweeting criticism of the defence (and thus absolving himself) in the aftermath of the home defeat to Boro.

It was criticical, not abusive, can't see anything wrong with that. As long as that's accepted, and we're not edging towards a happy-clappy-isn't-everything-at-BHA-wonderful North Korean type culture on the clubs and players social media outlets...

To be serious there is a tiny minority of comments, often on Twitter, but sometimes on forums that are directed at footballers, and other club staff, that can be racist, homophobic and can contain credible threats of violence, defamation or worse. Luckily there is very little of this , as far as i can see, in / around the Albion and the club already has a good relationship with the police and its attitude to for example homophobic social media comments.. However this type of abuse can be upsetting, can cause real offense and distress especially to young staff. There should be a duty of care as some have mentioned and that includes players, and reminding season ticket holders of the possible sanctions in the form of updated terms is just one of the things that the club can , and in my view, should be doing. Incidentally , and purely as a user, then NSC clearly already has impressive behind the scenes moderation processes and again in my view its already one of the best policed football forums online. Remember also that the players themselves have strict terms of employment and use of social media is part of that.

This doesn't mean, i imagine , that football clubs (and the Albion aren't the only club with terms like this and i've no idea about the origination of these terms) want or would seek to police NSC or Twitter so that its only just boring old posters like me sticking up for Paul Barber that is allowed.:) But there is a tiny minority of behaviour that does cross the line by football fans online and the club, it looks like, would want to be able to take action. .

PS: Blaming David Stockdale for mistakes/goals on Twitter is i would say absolutely fair comment. Mentioning him in your Tweet so he sees it is rude. Neither have anything to do with the kind of behaviour, i think, the club is seeking to illustrate here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here