Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A glass of champagne or a glass of Sussex? 'Sussex' is given special protection.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ridgeview are guilty of this, based just north of Ditchling and clearly in the east side, they put West Sussex in some write ups, or diplomatically go for the "Sussex" option.

It's possible that some of their land falls in West Sussex, I'd have thought? As you leave Burgess Hill down Folders Lane, heading towards Ditchling Common, you pass the county boundary signs somewhere around the railway bridge as I recall. I know the entrance to their estate is on Ditchling Common Lane (East Sussex), but presumably the estate extends west of there, so it may well be that many of their vines are technically in Burgess Hill, thus in West Sussex (clearly they're not going to put Burgess Hill on their labels though :lolol: ).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's possible that some of their land falls in West Sussex, I'd have thought? As you leave Burgess Hill down Folders Lane, heading towards Ditchling Common, you pass the county boundary signs somewhere around the railway bridge as I recall. I know the entrance to their estate is on Ditchling Common Lane (East Sussex), but presumably the estate extends west of there, so it may well be that many of their vines are technically in Burgess Hill, thus in West Sussex (clearly they're not going to put Burgess Hill on their labels though :lolol: ).

Looks like they go right up to the border! https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...ea9abe6ecb97dc2!8m2!3d50.9280143!4d-0.4617075

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
There are various papers on this, but in essence it's a marketing tool! Champagne is a brand, and people buy wines purely because they're called "Champagne", even though there are excellent sparkling wines from other regions of France (Loire, Alsace, Burgundy, etc.). The same applies for Bordeaux, and indeed Cornish pasties. The trouble a lot of the English vineyards have had, as they're relatively small, is that they can't say what they're marketing, other than "wine". Now they will be able to market together as "Sussex"...

It's also supposed to be an indicator of quality as they have to meet certain standards. Obviously there will be good wines from other parts of England, but there will be crap ones too. However, this doesn't always work.

I'm no expert though!

From the OP seems quite restrictive if they want to use the word Sussex....

'The new status will limit the grape varieties that can be used to make Sussex wines and will insist upon hand harvesting and lower yields in vineyards, ensuring that only the best grapes are used. The stricter winemaking rules will also include a qualitative assessment and longer bottle ageing for sparkling wine.'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hang on! in terms of alcoholic beverages 'Sussex' is beer, and should be drunk by the pint - preferably whilst there is some sport on!
a very good point well made.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From the OP seems quite restrictive if they want to use the word Sussex....

'The new status will limit the grape varieties that can be used to make Sussex wines and will insist upon hand harvesting and lower yields in vineyards, ensuring that only the best grapes are used. The stricter winemaking rules will also include a qualitative assessment and longer bottle ageing for sparkling wine.'

I assume the grape varieties will be the same as for champagne - pinot noir, pinot meunier (sp?) and chardonnay.

For cornish pasties it's bloody silly though, as you can have flour, beef, swede and potato from all over the world, made in Cornwall, and it's a Cornish pasty. But if you have all the ingredients from Cornwall, by make it just over the border in Devon, it cannot be called a Cornish pasty.

Hang on! in terms of alcoholic beverages 'Sussex' is beer, and should be drunk by the pint - preferably whilst there is some sport on!

Quite - I assumed this thread referred to Harvey's Sussex Bitter which I would also chose over a glass of champagne. It should be added that I would chose a flat glass of supermarket saver lager over a glass of champagne.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I assume the grape varieties will be the same as for champagne - pinot noir, pinot meunier (sp?) and chardonnay.

The better English growers use only those three varietals. Other, ahem, less good growers use Auxerrois, Reichensteiner and Seyval Blanc in varying percentages too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What is all this nonsense about Nyetimber being in Hampshire? West Chiltington is in West, West, West Sussex last time I looked (yesterday)...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why would a Surrey vineyard or a Kent vineyard want to call their product Sussex wine ?

Further evidence of a need for Sussex 'lebensraum'?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What is all this nonsense about Nyetimber being in Hampshire? West Chiltington is in West, West, West Sussex last time I looked (yesterday)...

"Nyetimber is in the fortunate position to own one hundred percent of our vineyards and all of our wines are produced from the 170 hectares we have planted at the best sites in West Sussex and Hampshire."

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
"Nyetimber is in the fortunate position to own one hundred percent of our vineyards and all of our wines are produced from the 170 hectares we have planted at the best sites in West Sussex and Hampshire."

A small amount may be grown just over the border in Pantshire but the vast majority comes from Gods Own County. And obviously all of it is made in West Chilts as well... :p

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

So that confirms most of their vines are in West Sussex then and that is before you consider the massive expansion they are currently undertaking North of West Chilts (have bought & closed down the local Golf Club to plant it with vines).

Anyway before we agree to disagree I'll just say I don't care what you call Nyetimber bubbly, it is blimmin lovely to drink whatever it is called...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Broadly, from a philistine :

Champagne - good
Bolney Bubbly and Ridgeview - equally as good but relatively pricey
Cava - nice cheaper option as long as dry enough
Prosecco - ewwwwww, too sweet, definitely not a champagne substitute

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Done some work at breaky bottom vineyard between Kingston n Rodmell over the past few years

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ridgeview is definitely in West Sussex. The B2112 marks the border and they are West of it.

only for a short stretch, mostly the boundry if over in the fields to the west of that road. to be fair they are so close to that the approach road probably strays across the border, but the winery building and vineyards look like they are all on the good side. :p

to settle it, the Post Office says East Sussex, and who's going to argue with them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here