Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A glass of champagne or a glass of Sussex? 'Sussex' is given special protection.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"First it was Prosecco"?

Do people really drink this as a champagne substitute?

Yes they do. Champagne sales have been hit hard as people have made the switch, despite the fact that most supermarket stuff is absolutely dire.

I've been invited to a Xmas party with my client tomorrow tonight. The usual champagne reception is now Prosecco. It's in The City as well. WTF.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've been invited to a Xmas party with my client tomorrow tonight. The usual champagne reception is now Prosecco. It's in The City as well. WTF.

We're all in this together and all that ...

To be fair some Champagne is pretty dull and some Prosecco is rather good, but by and large anything made in the traditional Champagne method is likely to have more flavour and complexity than your cheapo Italian fizz made in a tank with a grape called Glera.

But I guess many people are just happy with bubbles, in whatever form they come.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm guessing two of the largest English vineyards - Denbies (Surrey) and Chapel Down (Kent) won't be too pleased. I gather Nyetimber will also be excluded as some of their grapes come from just over the border t.

Not sure about that, their vineyard is in West Chiltington, which is a fair old way from Hampshire, and they just bought the local golf club and are changing it to a vinyard, and they've also bought More land and fields adjacent to the old golf course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure about that, their vineyard is in West Chiltington, which is a fair old way from Hampshire, and they just bought the local golf club and are changing it to a vinyard, and they've also bought More land and fields adjacent to the old golf course.

Changing a golf course into a vineyard.....I totally approve of this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We're all in this together and all that ...

To be fair some Champagne is pretty dull and some Prosecco is rather good, but by and large anything made in the traditional Champagne method is likely to have more flavour and complexity than your cheapo Italian fizz made in a tank with a grape called Glera.

But I guess many people are just happy with bubbles, in whatever form they come.

I've had a few pilsners made with champagne yeast. Gives an excellent dryness to the drink. I'd rather have this than Prosecco.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
"putting Sussex on a par with La Rioja in Spain and Champagne in France"

A ridiculous quote.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"putting Sussex on a par with La Rioja in Spain and Champagne in France"

A ridiculous quote.

In time the quality will be on a par. I have no doubt about this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Prosecco is a nonsense drink, as is cheap supermarket 'on-offer'/'half-price' champagne.
The likes of Ridgeview and Nyetimber are a match for many champagnes, but it'll take a long while before 'Sussex' is considered on a par with champagne. Part of the perception is informed by the size of production, and Sussex will remain considerably behind champagne on that front. In terms of quality, your best guide is blind tastings done by experts, but I'm oh so aware that this isn't a very popular view at present.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

It says so on their website. :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Prosecco is a nonsense drink, as is cheap supermarket 'on-offer'/'half-price' champagne.
The likes of Ridgeview and Nyetimber are a match for many champagnes, but it'll take a long while before 'Sussex' is considered on a par with champagne. Part of the perception is informed by the size of production, and Sussex will remain considerably behind champagne on that front. In terms of quality, your best guide is blind tastings done by experts, but I'm oh so aware that this isn't a very popular view at present.

I was reading that the soil is very similar to the champagne region. The climate differs a little but over time the grapes will adapt to the slightly wetter and windy conditions. This latter point has, in part, led to the improvement in quality over the past 5 or so years and it will get better and better apparently.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Blind tasting by experts is perfectly ok.They are not predicting what the grapes will be like in 5 or 10 years time.The main problem,IMHO,with English wines is consistency.I have tasted Nyetimber vintages better than Veuve Cliquot,and ones akin to Drainol!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I was reading that the soil is very similar to the champagne region. The climate differs a little but over time the grapes will adapt to the slightly wetter and windy conditions. This latter point has, in part, led to the improvement in quality over the past 5 or so years and it will get better and better apparently.

Sussex is on the same seam of chalk/limestone/whatever-geological-material as Champagne. The climate's not too dissimilar. Sussex, or England and Wales, is good for fizz and dessert wine, and some whites (although they remain over-priced in comparison to Germany, for instance). Reds are in general very poor, but there are the odd good Pinot Noirs (I haven't had it, but Bolney, available in Waitrose, is getting a lot of good reviews).

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I went to Searcys last year with some friends, great champagne bar.
Also have bars in the Westfield shopping centres, in London :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Blind tasting by experts is perfectly ok.They are not predicting what the grapes will be like in 5 or 10 years time.The main problem,IMHO,with English wines is consistency.I have tasted Nyetimber vintages better than Veuve Cliquot,and ones akin to Drainol!

Viticulturalists have been recording weather conditions in minute detail for decades. Guess what the evidence is pointing to? Or is that the point where expertise or knowledge suddenly becomes unacceptable?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Viticulturalists have been recording weather conditions in minute detail for decades. Guess what the evidence is pointing to? Or is that the point where expertise or knowledge suddenly becomes unacceptable?

I would imagine the evidence points to slight warming,but other experts say we could possibly be on the way to a new ice age due to low solar activity.Nobody can predict the quality of a vintage wine in future years!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here