Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] A film you have re watched in lockdown that you forgot how good it was

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It actually may well have been the BoB Anniversary mass flight from Biggin Hill, I went with Andy, a friend of mine who is ex RAF (Nimrod pilot) and now flies 737s (well when they get back to normal) for Tui. From memory there were around 20 Spitfires and 6 Hurricanes which took off, split into sections and then went off to overfly various BoB Stations before returning to Biggin.

Talking of Biggin Hill this is well worth a visit, Andy and I did it last year and as we paid a bit more got to sit in a MkIX Spitfire Cockpit. Jesus when you look at the aircraft skinning on a Spitfire there is nothing to them! I suppose you had to hope you were hit from behind and the Cockpit Armour Plate took it. Probably closed at present of course...

https://bigginhillheritagehangar.co.uk/

Hi,
Did some Spitfires fly past Brighton seafront on that occasion? I recall now the Biggin Hill link. The purring engines, a thing of beauty.

Yes, I must do that museum, but also we've never been to the Imperial War Museum.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All this talk of WW2 got me re-watching 'The Greatest Raid of All'. A documentary telling the story of that audacious raid (Operation Chariot), on St Nazaire docks in March 42.

Love him or hate him, Jeremy Clarkson tells the story brilliantly.

Clarkson was immense in those documentaries (ditching the controversial petrolhead persona), another one was The Victoria Cross: For Valour.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Out of interest, where did you get The Gentlemen as I can't find a decent copy yet through my usual sources?

GoL is bloody brilliant btw. Been avoiding watching the last episode for a couple of days as we don't want it to end. Plus you know there's going to be a massive cliff hanger for S2.

I've got an IPTV provider on my firestick. Get all my stuff through that now. Costs me £60 for the year. Its excellent, better quality and much more reliable than just using a free Kodi build.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A few shorts year ago I was gardening, we live about 3 miles from the sea, when I heard the incredible sound of prop plane engines. Turns out it was a mini formation of Spitfires doing a mini tour of the south coast from the Eastbourne air show and back. Those beautiful RR Merlin engines. It must've been some sight and sound in 1940.

Also a few short years ago, I was riding the ridge towards Goodwood Racecourse.

Below me, to my left, was a Chinook helicopter, buzzing over Halnaker windmill.

I carried on.

The tree cover clears at the 7 furlong pole.

I popped out their just as Mr Chinook buzzed overhead having looped around the grandstand.

To say a shat myself would be an understatement.
The fookin thing was so low the downdraft nearly sent me into a hedge.

T'was well lush.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Just watched UP again and it's such a wonderful film, for anyone that hasn't seen this masterpiece of animation it's definitely worth a watch.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hi,
Did some Spitfires fly past Brighton seafront on that occasion? I recall now the Biggin Hill link. The purring engines, a thing of beauty.

Yes, I must do that museum, but also we've never been to the Imperial War Museum.

If You are into Military Aviation and especially Battle of Britain and live in Sussex in order I would do the following Museums:

Hawkinge
Tangmere
RAF Museum Hendon
Imperial War Museum
Manston

There is one in Shoreham (the Kent one) which never seems to be open but I'm sure I'll do one day.

If you do go to Biggin Hill and do the Heritage Hangar AM get yourself down the the White Hart at Brasted for Lunch, it was the Fighter Pilots watering hole after Operations and has a good selection of WWII RAF photos on the walls.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If You are into Military Aviation and especially Battle of Britain and live in Sussex in order I would do the following Museums:

Hawkinge
Tangmere
RAF Museum Hendon
Imperial War Museum
Manston

There is one in Shoreham (the Kent one) which never seems to be open but I'm sure I'll do one day.

If you do go to Biggin Hill and do the Heritage Hangar AM get yourself down the the White Hart at Brasted for Lunch, it was the Fighter Pilots watering hole after Operations and has a good selection of WWII RAF photos on the walls.

Thank you for all that, post covid I’ll make the effort. Even though they’re seemingly not that interested, I’ll take my kids if they want to come along .... always good to learn lessons from history, pay respect to those who literally saved these isles from an evil and their young minds absorb more than it appears at the time. The pub lunch will be popular regardless :smile:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
ITV4 Battle of Britain (which is on at the moment), amazing that it was all filmed with real aircraft, and WE WON!

So many great scenes, the Poles getting themselves Operational is probably my favourite... :thumbsup:

Edward Fox's "Thanks awfully old chap" whilst sitting in a greenhouse is my favourite.

Last edited:

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
Twelve Angry Men.

Forgotten how good Lee J Cobb was in that film.

Puts a lot of so the called modern classics to shame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

An unbelievably good film. Standout turns from the big names in Henry Fonda and Cobb, but also great performances from some of those American actors whose faces you know but you often can't put a name to.

On a very different subject, there was a similarly excellent ensemble movie called Conspiracy, about the meeting where the leading Nazis planned the final solution - with Kenneth Branagh as Reinhard Heydrich but all the rest of the parts played by various actors who usually do walk-ons in Downton, Doc Martin and Love Actually.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
An unbelievably good film. Standout turns from the big names in Henry Fonda and Cobb, but also great performances from some of those American actors whose faces you know but you often can't put a name to.

On a very different subject, there was a similarly excellent ensemble movie called Conspiracy, about the meeting where the leading Nazis planned the final solution - with Kenneth Branagh as Reinhard Heydrich but all the rest of the parts played by various actors who usually do walk-ons in Downton, Doc Martin and Love Actually.

And Frank Gallagher from Shameless! Plus, if I'm not wrong, a tiny cameo by Tom Hiddlestone as a secretary or telephone operator or something. Not exactly comfortable family viewing though ...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Moneyball
Cold in July
Local Hero
First Blood
Le Mans
Among many others

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Watched "Waking Life" again today, wonderful movie - nothing happens - and going for a Richard Linklater marathon. Excellent director, I love both his "easier" stuff like "Dazed & Confused" and "Boyhood", and the more... slow but thoughtful stuff like "Slacker" or the aforementioned "Waking Life". Next up will be "A Scanner Darkly", not perfect but a great movie, with Keanu Reeves doing one of his few good roles. Also with Woody Harrelson and Robert Downey Jr, for those who like "celebs".

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
36 Quai des Orfevres. Fantastic Parisian cop film, corruption, murder et al. Gerard Depardieu and Daniel Auteuil at the top of their game.

A brilliant film.

Very atmospheric, capturing the waiting around at airfields, with captivating dogfight cinematography.

BoB filming reminiscence.

Heading well OT but when I was around 9 or 10 my dad used to go fishing by one of the beaches at Lydd range in Kent (Galloways I think). Turned up one fine day to discover the area had been taken over by a crew filming for the BoB.

Large stereotype American movie guy invited us to wander around to see what they were doing as long as we didn't touch anything. Lots of large scale models and aircraft parts dotted around, that day's activity was preparing a highly detailed Spitfire or Hurricane ( guess at least 1/4 size) for the day's shot Beautiful model, highly detailed and unpowered but with radio controlled "flaps".

Eventually the model was hauled aloft by a helicopter, another 'copter carried a cameraman. Some way off offshore the model was released and it glided (with a smoke bomb on board being triggered by RC) into the shingle a safe distance away.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
BoB filming reminiscence.

Heading well OT but when I was around 9 or 10 my dad used to go fishing by one of the beaches at Lydd range in Kent (Galloways I think). Turned up one fine day to discover the area had been taken over by a crew filming for the BoB.

Large stereotype American movie guy invited us to wander around to see what they were doing as long as we didn't touch anything. Lots of large scale models and aircraft parts dotted around, that day's activity was preparing a highly detailed Spitfire or Hurricane ( guess at least 1/4 size) for the day's shot Beautiful model, highly detailed and unpowered but with radio controlled "flaps".

Eventually the model was hauled aloft by a helicopter, another 'copter carried a cameraman. Some way off offshore the model was released and it glided (with a smoke bomb on board being triggered by RC) into the shingle a safe distance away.

I'm guessing it is the Spitfire which crashes on the beach towards the end of this clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ofSBKbYERo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here