[Film] A film you have re watched in lockdown that you forgot how good it was

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I tell you what Gangs of London on sky is brutally good

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Magnolia. Didn't like it first time round but watched it again on Thursday and was really impressed on second viewing. Pretty weird though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I look forward to watching these superb films with my daughter.
But for now, it’s Paw Patrol.

A cliché you've no doubt heard many a time, but enjoy it all and make it goes slowly. Many magical moments ahead for you guys. :smile:

Films wise, we've loved Disney animations and still now adore Aristocats and Lady & The Tramp …. she get's the animals thing from me. Plus the 8 Harry Potter movies are loved, as well as about 25 Xmas movies.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
ITV4 Battle of Britain (which is on at the moment), amazing that it was all filmed with real aircraft, and WE WON!

So many great scenes, the Poles getting themselves Operational is probably my favourite... :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
ITV4 Battle of Britain (which is on at the moment), amazing that it was all filmed with real aircraft, and WE WON!

So many great scenes, the Poles getting themselves Operational is probably my favourite... :thumbsup:

A brilliant film.

Very atmospheric, capturing the waiting around at airfields, with captivating dogfight cinematography.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
A cliché you've no doubt heard many a time, but enjoy it all and make it goes slowly. Many magical moments ahead for you guys. :smile:

Films wise, we've loved Disney animations and still now adore Aristocats and Lady & The Tramp …. she get's the animals thing from me. Plus the 8 Harry Potter movies are loved, as well as about 25 Xmas movies.

Thanks W.
She’s certainly developing fast - from goo goo ga ga to relentlessly telling me what to do , in what feels like five minutes.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A brilliant film.

Very atmospheric, capturing the waiting around at airfields, with captivating dogfight cinematography.

I'm researching 601 Squadron Auxiliary Air Force at the present as we have Flight Lieutenant Carl Davis DFC interred in our local Churchyard, killed in the Battle of Britain over Kent September 6th 1940 although flying out of Tangmere.

Pre-War 601 was known as the Millionaires Squadron as Auxiliary Air Force were similar to Territorials i.e. part timers and many of them had their own aircraft. Lots and lots of famous figures flew out of Tangmere with 601 such as Roger Bushell (played by Dickie Attenborough as Squadron Leader Bartlett in the Great Escape), the first USA pilot to be killed (Olympic Bobsleigher Billy Fiske, killed in August 1940 buried at Boxgrove) Max Aitken (son of Lord Beaverbrook owner of the Daily Express).

I'm hoping to do a Pilot by Pilot 601 BoB Biography for this years 80th anniversary for our local Church magazine.

As you can probably tell, I can bore for England on the subject of the BoB. :p

Looks like Mrs Jakartas Birthday gift of a Spitfire Flight from Goodwood will now have to wait until 2021. Which means a bit more Simulator time and perhaps I'll get it down on the Cut Strip by then...:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm researching 601 Squadron Auxiliary Air Force at the present as we have Flight Lieutenant Carl Davis DFC interred in our local Churchyard, killed in the Battle of Britain over Kent September 6th 1940 although flying out of Tangmere.

Pre-War 601 was known as the Millionaires Squadron as Auxiliary Air Force were similar to Territorials i.e. part timers and many of them had their own aircraft. Lots and lots of famous figures flew out of Tangmere with 601 such as Roger Bushell (played by Dickie Attenborough as Squadron Leader Bartlett in the Great Escape), the first USA pilot to be killed (Olympic Bobsleigher Billy Fiske, killed in August 1940 buried at Boxgrove) Max Aitken (son of Lord Beaverbrook owner of the Daily Express).

I'm hoping to do a Pilot by Pilot 601 BoB Biography for this years 80th anniversary for our local Church magazine.

As you can probably tell, I can bore for England on the subject of the BoB. :p

Looks like Mrs Jakartas Birthday gift of a Spitfire Flight from Goodwood will now have to wait until 2021. Which means a bit more Simulator time and perhaps I'll get it down on the Cut Strip by then...:lolol:

I just have a bloke’s general knowledge of the BoB (as well as other stuff such as the Hawker Typhoon) from my Dad, reading and (pre having my own kids) I used to enjoy the History & Discovery Channels documentaries on cable TV. I don’t have a military or mechanical background. Just a patriot, who finds the world and history interesting.

The BoB was a great achievement. The Nazis had since January 1933 secretly built a colossal war and technological machine including warplanes, very belatedly we were building as many Spitfires and Hurricanes as we could, with a shortage of trained pilots too. Heavily outnumbered, yet they ended up with almost twice as many losses and a de facto defeat, their first of any sorts.

ADE02BF5-3D69-4F23-8EF4-6AF4E86CC941.png

Please pm a link to your piece if and when completed.:smile:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I just have a bloke’s general knowledge of the BoB (as well as other stuff such as the Hawker Typhoon) from my Dad, reading and (pre having my own kids) I used to enjoy the History & Discovery Channels documentaries on cable TV. I don’t have a military or mechanical background. Just a patriot, who finds the world and history interesting.

The BoB was a great achievement. The Nazis had since January 1933 secretly built a colossal war and technological machine including warplanes, very belatedly we were building as many Spitfires and Hurricanes as we could, with a shortage of trained pilots too. Heavily outnumbered, yet they ended up with almost twice as many losses and a de facto defeat, their first of any sorts.

View attachment 123055

Please pm a link to your piece if and when completed.:smile:

Been my obsession for over 50 years, born & raised in Cheshire well away from where the action was, now very close to Tangmere and Goodwood where Boultbee fly their Spitfires from (under normal circumstances) so it is has not been unusual to be overflown by one almost every weekend in the Summer.

Watching a Spitfire Loop and Roll over the Downs will never cease being special to me. Found out about 'our' BoB Fighter Pilot by going to the BoB Museum in Hawkinge, Kent (if you have any interest in the Battle it is a must visit) about 15 years ago. There are a few artifacts from his Hurricane displayed and it mentioned he was buried at St.Mary's Storrington.

Found his headstone in dreadful condition and mentioned it to the Vicar who was also an ex RAF Chaplain.

To his credit he got in touch with the Commonwealth War Grave Commission who have given him a new and very smart one.

There is an annual BoB commemoration service (attended by our local ATC Squadron) which always concludes with the Last Post at his Graveside.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Watching Good Morning Vietnam right now. Williams at his funny finest, rather than his schmaltzy shittiest.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Last night we watched 'Local Hero', with our 23 year old daughter. We saw it at the cinema when it came out and I had the CD. Have to say, it's aged terribly. It was pretty awful last night.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Been my obsession for over 50 years, born & raised in Cheshire well away from where the action was, now very close to Tangmere and Goodwood where Boultbee fly their Spitfires from (under normal circumstances) so it is has not been unusual to be overflown by one almost every weekend in the Summer.

Watching a Spitfire Loop and Roll over the Downs will never cease being special to me. Found out about 'our' BoB Fighter Pilot by going to the BoB Museum in Hawkinge, Kent (if you have any interest in the Battle it is a must visit) about 15 years ago. There are a few artifacts from his Hurricane displayed and it mentioned he was buried at St.Mary's Storrington.

Found his headstone in dreadful condition and mentioned it to the Vicar who was also an ex RAF Chaplain.

To his credit he got in touch with the Commonwealth War Grave Commission who have given him a new and very smart one.

There is an annual BoB commemoration service (attended by our local ATC Squadron) which always concludes with the Last Post at his Graveside.

A few shorts year ago I was gardening, we live about 3 miles from the sea, when I heard the incredible sound of prop plane engines. Turns out it was a mini formation of Spitfires doing a mini tour of the south coast from the Eastbourne air show and back. Those beautiful RR Merlin engines. It must've been some sight and sound in 1940.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Local Hero - All4

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A few shorts year ago I was gardening, we live about 3 miles from the sea, when I heard the incredible sound of prop plane engines. Turns out it was a mini formation of Spitfires doing a mini tour of the south coast from the Eastbourne air show and back. Those beautiful RR Merlin engines. It must've been some sight and sound in 1940.

It actually may well have been the BoB Anniversary mass flight from Biggin Hill, I went with Andy, a friend of mine who is ex RAF (Nimrod pilot) and now flies 737s (well when they get back to normal) for Tui. From memory there were around 20 Spitfires and 6 Hurricanes which took off, split into sections and then went off to overfly various BoB Stations before returning to Biggin.

Talking of Biggin Hill this is well worth a visit, Andy and I did it last year and as we paid a bit more got to sit in a MkIX Spitfire Cockpit. Jesus when you look at the aircraft skinning on a Spitfire there is nothing to them! I suppose you had to hope you were hit from behind and the Cockpit Armour Plate took it. Probably closed at present of course...

https://bigginhillheritagehangar.co.uk/

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
All this talk of WW2 got me re-watching 'The Greatest Raid of All'. A documentary telling the story of that audacious raid (Operation Chariot), on St Nazaire docks in March 42.

Love him or hate him, Jeremy Clarkson tells the story brilliantly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here