Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] A film you have re watched in lockdown that you forgot how good it was

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some movies I've re-watched last week:

Man on Wire (2008)

Before I watched it the first time I had never heard of Philippe Petit or what he did, but watching it always makes me want to do some really dumb shit.

Pusher (1995)

Mads Mikkelsens first movie, starring Kim Bodnia. Very rough Danish movie showing the darker side of life in Copenhagen. The sequels are also great though I prefer Pusher 3 to Pusher 2. The American remake is of course shit.

Memories of Murder (2003)

The best Korean movie made, probably. Excellent thriller about some wacko raping and murdering young women outside of a small Korean town.

City of God (2002)

Despite always putting it on my "top 5 movies" list, its been seven or eight years since I watched it. It turned out great this time around as well, it is really a masterpiece of a movie.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Having seen some poor reviews of The Departed that instead praised the original Hong Kong version, Infernal Affairs, as being far superior I gave the HK version a spin. Not a bad watch, but no more than 6.7/10.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
City of God (2002)

Despite always putting it on my "top 5 movies" list, its been seven or eight years since I watched it. It turned out great this time around as well, it is really a masterpiece of a movie.

City of Men and City of God are two great films; two even greater Brazilian films in a similar favela crime vein are Elite Squad 1 and 2, just fantastic viewing and starring the great Wagner Moura from Narcos.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Raiders of the lost Ark.it was on telly the other week and I wasn't planning to watch it as I have seen it god knows how many times but settled on it after a bit of channel hopping and watched it all the way through.i actually thought it's still a bloody good film.the framing,the lighting,the acting and the story.loved it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Having seen some poor reviews of The Departed that instead praised the original Hong Kong version, Infernal Affairs, as being far superior I gave the HK version a spin. Not a bad watch, but no more than 6.7/10.

I suspect there is at least a degree of two things at play:

1) Hipsterism 'The original is better' as a default position.

2) Instead of 'original' being better, simply 'the one you saw first' was better. If you see a remake first, that essentially becomes 'the original' - it's the first one you saw, it was a fresh new story, and when you go back and watch the one that was made first, you know the story.

Sure, sometimes there is an actual gulf in quality, but I think when an original is good, and a remake is good, people tend to gravitate to the one they saw first because it was fresher and newer.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
The spy gone north. Will someone please watch it, it very good.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Watched this a few weeks back, forgot just how good Michael Caine was in it, and great theme music by John Barry.

my name is.jpg

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I just re-watched Re-Animator. It's still just as hilario as the first time round, and a first class zombie movie (film).

81Fa-GZKXPL._AC_SY741_.jpg

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
First Blood.
Disregarding all the silly but sometimes enjoyable sequels, this is a great film in its own right. It had something to say. Sly even tried acting in it, something he didn’t attempt successfully again until Copland.
The story of how it got made is available in two parts on Netflix and is rather eye opening.

I also enjoyed The Conversation on iPlayer last night. FF Coppola’s 1974 slow burn thriller with Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, Harrison Ford, John Cazale and the total sauce-pot Teri Garr.

Just a great film from one of cinema’s great decades.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i re watched THE KING , it's the story of the battle of Agincourt and the lead up to it......it has some weight to it and some great performances ...Joel Edgerton is surprisingly good imho.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
First Blood.
Disregarding all the silly but sometimes enjoyable sequels, this is a great film in its own right. It had something to say. Sly even tried acting in it, something he didn’t attempt successfully again until Copland.
The story of how it got made is available in two parts on Netflix and is rather eye opening.

Prey tell where is this please? I’ve looked and googled and can’t find it...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I watched Moon as part of #Timslisteningparty. Clint Mansell and Duncan Jone (Zowie Bowie) gave an online commentary.

I forgot how quick the film went. I remembered it as a slow pace similar to silent running. Sam Rockwell is superb in it.

If you have a copy or get one you can re-do the listening party here, by pressing play on the film and this link at the same time.

https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/pages/replay/feed_99.html

Attachments

• moon_poster.png
    moon_poster.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I watched Moon as part of #Timslisteningparty. Clint Mansell and Duncan Jone (Zowie Bowie) gave an online commentary.

I forgot how quick the film went. I remembered it as a slow pace similar to silent running. Sam Rockwell is superb in it.

If you have a copy or get one you can re-do the listening party here, by pressing play on the film and this link at the same time.

https://timstwitterlisteningparty.com/pages/replay/feed_99.html

This is a brilliant film, one of the best sci-fis I’ve seen in a long time. Ex Machina got a lot of critical praise and press, and while very good, Moon is a better film.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I’ve introduced my teenagers to The Matrix Trilogy. The 2nd 2 films being better than I remember, the first film still excellent.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm going to re-watch Taxi Driver tonight. I forget how good it was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here