Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7 Stars Bar

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
if you're going with tokens, no reason why two cant be a pie or wine and so on

Because it would introduce a major element of multi-choice fannying around that would slow things down to the level of the rest of the stadium? In the hypothetical Ale House which I envisage, you'd hand over two tokens and get a pint of ale in return which would take all of thirty seconds. Next!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Because it would introduce a major element of multi-choice fannying around that would slow things down to the level of the rest of the stadium? In the hypothetical Ale House which I envisage, you'd hand over two tokens and get a pint of ale in return which would take all of thirty seconds.

This sounds like a great idea. It works well at gigs and festivals. All that would need to be offered is an ale, a lager, wine, a cider and bottled soft drinks. Allow people to bring in food from the fish and chip place outside.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Baffling. And it's clearly angled at business as opposed to supporters. Distance your supporters, and raise less cash - good work.

?? So were the player sponsorships given the high cost and businesses bought the vast majority of them (with a few exceptions- NSC being a sponsor for a few seasons).
And the player sponsorships , going on the multiple gaps in the programme where they plugged, didn't sell out either.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Don't forget the STRIPPERS and a pound for an EXOTIC dance behind the curtain, that would pack them in

...and a roving comedian with mike, interviewing fans about the game and abusing them with classic material...." Christ mate, with teeth like that you could eat an orange through a tennis racquet "...." have you tried polyfilla on that acne "....." they should charge you with child abuse, bringing a kid to watch Brighton play "...." anyone here from Rottingdean "...." she's cost a fortune to entertain you today and she's come all the way from the ladies toilets in the corner " etc etc etc..

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Indeed, make it an ADULTS only pub and 95% of those in there will be drinking beers with a high mark up.
We all seem to know that...why doesn't someone here ping Insider or Bloom to tell them.... "Tony's Bar" has a ring to it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This sounds like a great idea. It works well at gigs and festivals. All that would need to be offered is an ale, a lager, wine, a cider and bottled soft drinks. Allow people to bring in food from the fish and chip place outside.

Or you could have some sort of electronic debit card that people can load at home/shop/etc and then use it at the point of sale to avoid any cash transactions...oh wait!

Another alternative introduce contactless POS at more than 1 till in the whole stadium or even a couple of vending machines and do away with things like the sweets and crisps over the counter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because it would introduce a major element of multi-choice fannying around that would slow things down to the level of the rest of the stadium? In the hypothetical Ale House which I envisage, you'd hand over two tokens and get a pint of ale in return which would take all of thirty seconds. Next!

but i want a pie. also we already have Harvey's stands that considerably speed up the delivery of Ale, still long queues form at them. so i wonder if tokens or some other method is something that can benefit the rest of the stadium.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
On the face of it that does seem a bit self-defeating (if the object of kit sponsorship is to raise money). Do you think it could be an image thing? Maybe the club thought that having all those "Me and My Mate Plumbers Ltd" adverts in the programme and on the site looked a bit non-league; i.e. the sort of thing the club did in the old days at Withdean when a grand meant a lot. Maybe the club wanted to move away from people who were basically fans paying a few hundred pounds to see their names in the programme (week after week!) towards richer corporate clients. They feel it might be worth taking a hit this year in the hope of increased revenue next - and losing all the small-fry butcher, baker and candlestick maker types into the bargain.

Ditto the Seven Stars bar. Ok, it's not working out for them this year (so far), but I reckon they're hoping that when word gets around that there's a sort of cheapo corporate lounge available they'll soon be selling high-priced alcohol and charging people for the privilege of buying it!

All fair points you make, however, I've not seen any other club do it any differently to the way we've always done it, ie each player has a home and away kit sponsor, whether you're non league or premier league.

The lack of uptake on this 'new' format is low at the moment. The exposure you get as match kit sponsor is your company name, shown after the match and ball sponsor for the game, no opportunity for a web link, description of your business. It's anonymously chucked on a 1/3 page section in the program. So to the sponsor it seems like a lot less, for a lot more.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I cannot see it going back to an all access bar. Those who would've had a drink there pre or post match have surely just gone into the concourse and as stated by the club the bar was loosing money.

I would've suggested a restaurant space but that is possibly covered by Harry Blooms now

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Seems to me there's (at least) a couple of money-spinning options:

1. Ale House - equivalent of the outside Harveys bar, but run along the lines of a beer festival. You buy beer tokens well away from the bar, one token equals one half pint (or one soft drink). No hot beverages, no pies, no sweets, no wine, maybe just a bag of beer nuts for a quid to encourage more drinking. Basically eliminate all aspects of fannying around that bring catering queues everywhere else in the ground to a standstill and have a huge impact in turnover. Only one name for such an establishment: Fanny's Bar.

2. Seafood Bar - genuine high-end champagne 'n' seafood bar, for those with very deep pockets or very generous expense accounts. No penny-pinching on using barely-trained staff, offer a GENUINE corporate level dining experience so nobody comes away feeling vaguely cheated.

I'm sure there's many other options. At the moment though, that bar is neither one thing nor another.

Beer tokens would have to change every match as someone would find 'tokens r us' online to buy a shedload or get printing. Cant see it working on a regular basis. BUT I dont frequent any usually but a wetherspoons pop up ale house with a cheap array of ales they have outside the Amex? Ah go on.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I cannot see it going back to an all access bar. Those who would've had a drink there pre or post match have surely just gone into the concourse and as stated by the club the bar was loosing money.

I would've suggested a restaurant space but that is possibly covered by Harry Blooms now

How about they move the Museum down to 7 stars, and then expand Dicks?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
?? So were the player sponsorships given the high cost and businesses bought the vast majority of them (with a few exceptions- NSC being a sponsor for a few seasons).
And the player sponsorships , going on the multiple gaps in the programme where they plugged, didn't sell out either.

I think last season did drop off a bit as the club increased the cost quite a bit. Last season there were 39 kit sponsorships in place across the entire squad, making a total revenue of £23,400, so still no way of making more money this year, regardless. I have also discovered that the new scheme not only includes 4 hospitality places in the Harry Bloom restaurant which normally costs £85 each, but also includes 4 1901 seats for the match. Hey ho, I'm sure they have a plan, might need a rethink though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think last season did drop off a bit as the club increased the cost quite a bit. Last season there were 39 kit sponsorships in place across the entire squad, making a total revenue of £23,400, so still no way of making more money this year, regardless. I have also discovered that the new scheme not only includes 4 hospitality places in the Harry Bloom restaurant which normally costs £85 each, but also includes 4 1901 seats for the match. Hey ho, I'm sure they have a plan, might need a rethink though.

Weren't like that in the old days Phil

26758_385818917762_4521679_n.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The truth is whoever thought this one through didn't and now they have an empty bar costing money to staff taking next to nothing in the till. Whoever thought families would pay £250 EACH to go in there per season should never be allowed any decision making process again at the club.

Yup, it's just so predictably f*cking DUMB. Club would make more money opening up the Seven Stars up to anybody who JUST wanted tea and coffee. Are these REALLY the kind of decision-makers we want in charge of our club? Sake! :facepalm:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Everything's geared towards the top end of the market or seems to be these days in the modern era of football and it's no different at the Amex , put a dartboard a pool table a juke box in that waste of corporate space and staff that know what a lager top is and I would imagine it would be full and very profitable on match days , shame really as there is a real demand for a real type pub on match days in the area .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here