Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7 pints of beer a week?

On average to you drink more or less than seven pints a week?

• Above

Votes: 115 56.4%
  • Below

Votes: 89 43.6%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its not even 7 pints, you'll hit 14 units in 6 pints at 4%. strong ale drinkers will be contained to 4.5 pints or less i reckon.

The new advice relates to risk of cancer. Previous advice was about obesity and diabetes, liver damage etc.

It's advice so that you can make an informed decision whether to drink or not.

its not very well informed though is it? just about everything increases the risk of cancer, but seldom the actual risk given openly. is the increased risk 1%, 20% or 100%? is the baseline risk 1 in 50 or 1 in 500? the fact that the headline "there's no safe limit", then the advice "limit to 14 units" is immediately contradictory. its saying there's an acceptable risk, so why isn't the old limit acceptable?. need to highlight the risks more so people can judge for themselves.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
its not even 7 pints, you'll hit 14 units in 6 pints at 4%. strong ale drinkers will be contained to 4.5 pints or less i reckon.

its not very well informed though is it? just about everything increases the risk of cancer, but seldom the actual risk given openly. is the increased risk 1%, 20% or 100%? is the baseline risk 1 in 50 or 1 in 500? the fact that the headline "there's no safe limit", then the advice "limit to 14 units" is immediately contradictory. its saying there's an acceptable risk, so why isn't the old limit acceptable?. need to highlight the risks more so people can judge for themselves.

Don't ask me, ask the Chief Medical Officer. I was trying to explain what the new advice is meant to relate to.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

From Radio 5 this morning, they said the increased cancer risk was 20% - mainly bowel cancer for men and breast cancer for women - but didn't give a baseline risk. The limit is what is recommended if you can't deal with that risk, not that anything above isn't acceptable, it's for people to make a choice.

Oh and i'm over 14 units - usually 4 or 5 pints on a Friday, Saturday can be a lot or nothing, other days something between nothing or 2, occasionally more such as Thursday Meet the Brewer evening. Usually do have at least 3 clear days a week - Monday, Weds and one other. Looking forward to a few pints in Worthing this evening. If I really feel daring, i'll eat something with bacon in it today as well.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I think I'm below the new guidelines over the course of a week but the days I do drink - it's too high. Currently I share a bottle of wine with the wife on a Friday and then the same again on Saturday. I think will make the bottle last two evenings,then occasionally do the same midweek

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just had Radio 2 on - why do some people get so angry about 'advice'!?

That's all it is - advice, either take it, or don't. Don't get the fuss to be honest.:shrug:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
7 Pints is a Saturday afternoon for me.

I take no notice of these so called Guidelines.

From Radio 5 this morning, they said the increased cancer risk was 20% - mainly bowel cancer for men and breast cancer for women - but didn't give a baseline risk. The limit is what is recommended if you can't deal with that risk, not that anything above isn't acceptable, it's for people to make a choice.

Oh and i'm over 14 units - usually 4 or 5 pints on a Friday, Saturday can be a lot or nothing, other days something between nothing or 2, occasionally more such as Thursday Meet the Brewer evening. Usually do have at least 3 clear days a week - Monday, Weds and one other. Looking forward to a few pints in Worthing this evening. If I really feel daring, i'll eat something with bacon in it today as well.

Aparrently on BBC Breakfast the CMO did give the baseline risk - see Guardian article (other sources may be available - this is where I read it).

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
On average I drink more than seven pints a day.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Is it just me who read the title as "7 pints of beer at work"?

That'll be the blurred vision

For me - under for about 6 months. Used to be well over, then went well under, then well over for a bit but now started a new job, looking at buying first house etc. and don't have the stress in the evenings to get home and say I want/deserve a drink which is where most of mine was coming from.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Aparrently on BBC Breakfast the CMO did give the baseline risk - see Guardian article (other sources may be available - this is where I read it).

the trouble with the CMO's point is to confuse the hard science and facts with the presentation of the facts. thats the point i was making, and thats where the scaremongering comes in.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Below, just, most weeks, sometimes a little over...

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Very rarely drink now normally once sometimes twice a month and then it's bugger all.
I'm failing my duties as a man.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Varies, most weeks probably around the 12 to 15 pints. The thought of 4 pints three times a week doesn't sound excessive in my head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here