Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5live now - Albion discussion just started

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Been a bugbear of mine for years - is that even possible? With all of the Social Media/Forum posters who post racist/homophobic/misogynistic bile, does it make it OK if you are just trolling and don't believe it? We aren't talking irony here - this is just out and out bigotry. Does posting it when you don't believe it make it OK or worse?

Interesting question.

Worse I would say. If it is a joke and you don't share the joke it is the same as being it, though.

Jul 7, 2003
And also G.Pott has got a great house and lifestyle in Hove with 3 young kids who are now probably settled. His commute to Lancing and the Amex is a doddle, and he works with a squad that seems to have a good spirit. Apart from a pay rise, why throw it away to have to start all over again at some failing northern club in a sh*t part of Britain?

Getting the Arsenal or Spurs job wouldn't mean moving. Living in Hove didn't stop Liam Brady working for Arsenal for many years as he was often spotted on the trains.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But for me England is a worry. He has said he wants to manage at the highest level, and although that's open to interpretation, I think a lot of English managers would see the England job as the pinnacle, or at the very least be tempted by it. Furthermore he is the top English candidate at the moment, not just in terms of form and style of play, but worryingly what Brighton are doing is very similar to how England have approached things in recent years. I don't think its a stretch to think that the FA will look for some continuity when Southgate goes, and Potter is probably better suited to that than anyone, given his familiarity with Ashworth who was key in setting up the current England set up. Obviously all of this is speculation, and I really hope I'm wrong, but like I say its a nagging feeling that I can't seem to shake.

I just can't see it. Potter strikes me as a hands-on manager who will right now be relishing the day-to-day job of being in the Premier League. He's working almost every day with the squad to mould and shape his players, and gradually we've seen his influence take hold as our performances have improved under him. He's building something here.

With England, he'd spend 80-90% of his time basically scouting, with just the International breaks and tournaments to get stuck into his coaching. He's far too young for that IMO, he's got a LOT more to achieve and to prove in the Premier League before he needs or even wants to go into International management. Its just not something I think would appeal to him at this stage of his career. A bigger PL club ? For sure (although not any time soon hopefully). England ? Nah. Thats a job that can turn sour very quickly.

There would also potentially be a "who the f*ck are you ?" vibe in the England dressing room, being as he's had no playing career to speak of, and only managed a group of swedish goat-herders, led Swansea to 10th in the 2nd division, and had a couple of relegation battles with 'a team like Brighton'.

He's fine where he is. But if we finish in the top half this season, I can see some offers coming in from some of the bigger fish in the PL. Probably not a top 6 team, but someone will probably take a punt on him as we did.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just can't see it. Potter strikes me as a hands-on manager who will right now be relishing the day-to-day job of being in the Premier League. He's working almost every day with the squad to mould and shape his players, and gradually we've seen his influence take hold as our performances have improved under him. He's building something here.

With England, he'd spend 80-90% of his time basically scouting, with just the International breaks and tournaments to get stuck into his coaching. He's far too young for that IMO, he's got a LOT more to achieve and to prove in the Premier League before he needs or even wants to go into International management. Its just not something I think would appeal to him at this stage of his career. A bigger PL club ? For sure (although not any time soon hopefully). England ? Nah. Thats a job that can turn sour very quickly.

There would also potentially be a "who the f*ck are you ?" vibe in the England dressing room, being as he's had no playing career to speak of, and only managed a group of swedish goat-herders, led Swansea to 10th in the 2nd division, and had a couple of relegation battles with 'a team like Brighton'.

He's fine where he is. But if we finish in the top half this season, I can see some offers coming in from some of the bigger fish in the PL. Probably not a top 6 team, but someone will probably take a punt on him as we did.

:thumbsup:

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
The Monday night club is pretty tedious football bantz. There's no way Micah Richards finds these comments that funny. I appreciate I'm just very jealous of people who get to talk about football for a living. Would love that job. Fair enough their ex-pro's but I often listen to the Guardian Football podcast and while it's often a good listen and their reasonable blokes they are bloody lucky and bar Jonathan WIlson and even Max Rushden's observations, they offer little in terms of football knowledge. Just Barry Glenndenning stealing a living. And yes I'm jealous of this Charlie chap too. Fair play to him but it's annoying how he uptalks (going high on the end of his sentences) the way a lot of people do nowadays.

Still it was nice to listen to news about us for 11 minutes though sandwiched inbetween the boring top 6 chat.

And no Potter won't leave us anytime soon. We're a good fit for him too and he's smart enough to know that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agreed. I do wonder whether something's been inserted in his contract that compensation will be higher if he leaves mid-season, or even just before the start of a season, rather than right at the end of one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The job I'm worried about is City. Pep has sung his praises several times and we already know that he's leaving. Potter may well be Guardiola's recommendation, in the same way that Taggart recommended Moyes.

That went well ...............................

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or a 'very clever' double bluff.

An anti semite and racist posts stuff along those lines, but intimates theirs is a spoof account.

I think we simply have a racist football hooligan pretending (and failing) to be neither. Oh well, never mind.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

could easily be wishful thinking, but with his family settled, i can't see potter wanting to go to any club that would be able to poach him. entirely agree about the england job tho', a very long way off

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
OK so Charlie looks like and sounded like a young smart journalist/blogger. He strings sentences together. He can construct an argument based on logic and reasoning. He is as far from Das Reich as it's possible to be (unless you're female, black and pansexual with a cushty desk job and a timeshare in a villa in Jamaica). The 'revelation' that he is Das Reich was, I though, an obvious bit of tomfoolery; just a snigger-trigger. I really thought you were kidding!

Incidentally, did I ever mentioned that I'm directly descended from Pope John Paul? There, I said it.

I knew your dad and he was never the Pope.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
*former

Hasn’t been to a game in years.

The plastic does loyally watch his club on the pub TV though.

F4C6CBFC-0C8E-4C75-B9C4-9C0A855EFF8C.png

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
I’m convinced he’ll be the next England manager after Southgate steps down post Qatar.
If/when Potter did/does leave, history says we are already monitoring his replacement.

I think I read we had known about, and was keeping tabs on him for 5 years*

*There is a chance this is not true and I didn't read that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here