50% of Brighton fans are gay

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The oldies do love a good committee don't they. They cannot get enough of all the agendas and votes and proposals and all the other stuff and good luck to them I say but don't go on the radio and in the Argus under the banner of representing supporters if you're gonna come out with bobbins like that! Dear oh dear!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I should add that I have nothing against any of the individuals in the supporters club or their committee.

Really? Your persistent whining about something you have no interest in appears to contradict that.

However there is no way that they can continue to be making statements on behalf of supporters as Liz Costa occasionally does.

Does plain English pass you by?

I know there is an argument that she is just giving her views so so what, but invariably she is quoted as representing Brighton supporters and that's how it will be seen.

Is she? You might have to let us know where that caveat has been posted. Which media outlet has made it known that she is the one true voice of all fans?

Time for that to stop. In fact that time came about ten years ago.

So you're happy to indulge in censorship?

Fact is, she's made a statement that has little or no basis in fact. Not that intelligent, but her views are her own. So what? Like, wow, cos no-one on here has ever done that...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Really? Your persistent whining about something you have no interest in appears to contradict that.

Does plain English pass you by?

Is she? You might have to let us know where that caveat has been posted. Which media outlet has made it known that she is the one true voice of all fans?

So you're happy to indulge in censorship?

Fact is, she's made a statement that has little or no basis in fact. Not that intelligent, but her views are her own. So what? Like, wow, cos no-one on here has ever done that...

I simply believe that she is not representative of Albion fans, and today's nonsense has proved it. That is it for me.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's mildly annoying that someone associated with club (via the supporters club) has made a factually innacurate statement, but it's interesting to see the level of annoyance this has generated in some quarters...
Would some of those who are so pissed off about this be as bothered if she had blurted out that 50% of Brighton fans are left handed? Would anyone be rushing to state how right-handed they are in case we get chants about being southpaws from the away end?

Just asking...

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Is that really necessary and would you say that to her face. Please keep the discussion on topic without personal abuse.

My comment was about how some teenagers might perceive her and was not intended as personal abuse. If you scroll back through the thread you will find a lot more unpleasant things that have been said about her.....

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
I simply believe that she is not representative of Albion fans, and today's nonsense has proved it. That is it for me.
Surely there is someone in the vast ranks of the Official supporters club that has media training, I would have thought they would be a better choice to speak to the media than the vice chair, who clearly has very little in common with the majority of fans. (the photos of that committee look like an advert for a saga Holiday or a Werther’s Original TV advert)

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Does it bother you that much, in the overall scheme of things if away fans shout homophobic abuse? Are you affected by it? If so...why?

I wasn't aware that I said that I was bothered by homophobic abuse. My point was that the interview with Liz Costa rather than raising the issue of homophobic abuse could actually result in it becoming more prevalent if away fans get wind of what was said.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
According to the greek/arab definition, you are only gay if you recieve and not administer

so does that mean 33% of the 50% are not gay ?

LE19

Surely there is someone in the vast ranks of the Official supporters club that has media training, I would have thought they would be a better choice to speak to the media than the vice chair, who clearly has very little in common with the majority of fans. (the photos of that committee look like an advert for a saga Holiday or a Werther’s Original TV advert)

There is no "official" supporters club, as has been mentioned previously in this thread.

Hey, let's all have a go at old people.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Thats perfectly accceptable behaviour ONLY if you are using your free hand to hold your second pint of Harveys!

This has just reminded me of one of my favourite comedy sketches.......

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
just a question who says that homophobia is unacceptable. Tell me why that too voice an opinion on homosexual intercourse is wrong. I have never really understood why it upsets people so much. People choose this lifestyle and it is bound to upset a few people, move on and accept it, not everyone shares the same belief that homosexuality is a normal lifestyle.

Er... lost for words really.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Interesting when I read the Bozza warning thread, this thread about an hour ago was on the main board, but now it's the "Other stuff".

As I was going to seriously comment, it'ds not surprising to me that a woman made this statement. In my experience most women take it that there are far more male homosexuals than there actually are (especially if that woman is employed in the media, where homosexuality is almost a credit on your CV). Most elderly women I know seem to know and be proud of their frien=dship with "One gay friend" yet when one told me this and I said, well I have a lesbian friend (though I wouldn;t call her close, she seemed horrified.

She claimed she didn'yt know ANY lesbians. Coming from a commubnity wedged between Eastbourne (huge lesbian population) and Brighton I find that strange, almost Victorian in attitude.

It could be the lady who made this comment was judging from her circle of Albion supporting friends, rather than from Albion supporters as a whole.

Having said that I know at least two Albion gay supporters, I gave one a knitted blue and white striped scarf a couple of years ago after I got a distinctly dodgy reception in the "George" in George street Croydon, wearing it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
just a question who says that homophobia is unacceptable. Tell me why that too voice an opinion on homosexual intercourse is wrong. I have never really understood why it upsets people so much. People choose this lifestyle and it is bound to upset a few people, move on and accept it, not everyone shares the same belief that homosexuality is a normal lifestyle.

Wow.

I really can't and won't dignify that bigoted, anachronistic and inaccurate load of crap with any more of a response than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports