50% of Brighton fans are gay

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Oh my days! Just listened to it.

She needs a good hard seeing to and obviously Leesy is no longer than man for the job. Any volunteers?

Thank goodness it was on radio Sussex and no one would have heard it.

For all the good things she may or may not have done for the club I bet she has done as many if not more things to hold it back. She must be hating the fact that we've got 22k season ticket holders now!

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Maybe, if they were truly thick.

Which a few football supporters probably are if their antics are anything to go by....

Really? You know that for a fact? Or just prejudicial guesswork?

I have no knowledge of the workings of the Supporters' club committee (perhaps its transparent and wholly above board) though have been on committees myself so know how some of them work. I've been to several AGMs where someone has stood up and asked an awkward question only to have it quashed by the Committee chairman.

For the fourth time, she doesn't represent the supporters - and never has.

It's stated elsewhere on this thread that 'Liz gets interviewed by the Argus & Radio Sussex on a regular basis as the media rep on the Supporters' Club committee'. So she's the mouthpiece for the Supporters' club but doesn't represent the supporters......? That's a bit strange isn't it?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It doesn't really matter what percentage are or are not gay, homophobia is unacceptable. In fact, not giving a stuff whether the statistic is 5%, 50% or 100% is the right attitude.

That's what she should have said.

I do agree with Giraffe on the Supporter's Club leadership. I've never considered joining and that has got to be wrong. Now, when the times are good, more than ever we should be building a strong supporters club.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's stated elsewhere on this thread that 'Liz gets interviewed by the Argus & Radio Sussex on a regular basis as the media rep on the Supporters' Club committee'. So she's the mouthpiece for the Supporters' club but doesn't represent the supporters......? That's a bit strange isn't it?

Not if you're not a member of the Supporters' Club, it isn't.

I'm also wondering if she went on there to specifically represent the views of the Supporters' Club. If she did, the sensible thing would be to get their views on this first. Somehow, I doubt it.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
This is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

I have said for a long long time that Liz Costa is totally out of touch with the fans now. And this proves it. She is brilliant and does and did do great things for a club but she is no longer representative of more than about 100 supporters club type dick knight cronies and should be left as that. As a voice of the fans she is completely lost now.

The supporters club needs a total revamp. They make no effort to seek new members, have nothing in the programme about it, and frankly it's just a prviate club for those that have been in it for years. How can a club with less than a few hundred members represent nearly 30,000 fans and call themselves the official supporters club. Its a complete joke.

They don't call themselves the official supporters club and never have done. Nowhere does the word official appear. It has been running for 100 years so is the longest running supporter's club but that doesn't make it official. There has been a recruitment drive with leaflets in the programmes last March which did bring in some more supporters, and my wife runs the Facebook page trying to get younger members in. The supporter's club is aware of the average age and wants to update itself, but you can't make people join up. John Hewitt especially wants younger people in to help out.
As I have previously pointed out calling her a 'cronie' and other such words is particularly unhelpful and is as out of touch with reality as you think she is.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
This. The people born and bred in Brighton and Hove statistically have exactly the same likelihood of being gay as in any town or city in the UK. The reason Brighton & Hove has far more gay people living here is that people come from all over the UK to live here for its tolerance and openess. So the cretins from some Northern team at the Amex spouting all the homophobia are infact directing that at people who were most probably born in their town but come to Brighton & Hove to escape these types of moronic knucledraggers who still live in the dark ages. It is sad that for most teams we play it is not about the football anymore it is all about the anal sex.
as Meatloaf once said "you took the words right out of mouth"

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
They don't call themselves the official supporters club and never have done. Nowhere does the word official appear. It has been running for 100 years so is the longest running supporter's club but that doesn't make it official. There has been a recruitment drive with leaflets in the programmes last March which did bring in some more supporters, and my wife runs the Facebook page trying to get younger members in. The supporter's club is aware of the average age and wants to update itself, but you can't make people join up. John Hewitt especially wants younger people in to help out.
As I have previously pointed out calling her a 'cronie' and other such words is particularly unhelpful and is as out of touch with reality as you think she is.

So give us some facts. For those of us that have supported the Albion through thick and thin it would be useful to know what the supoorters club really is. I literally have no idea but have supported the club all my life, attend every home game and about half away, but only once thought about joining the supporters club and the response was so shoddy I gave up.

How many members does it have?
Who runs the supporters club? Who are the committee members?
How is the committee appointed?
What are the benefits of being a member of the supporters club?
How often does it meet and where?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I see NSC as a modern day version of a supporters club we don't get together & meet up but everyone shares their views and people do listen to what gets said on this forum

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You must be physic or something?

Please explain the meaning of your post.

I'm just relieved you clarified for us all that you're not gay.

If everyone NOT gay could please post on this thread, then we can DISCOUNT them from the count before figuring out who is in the 50%.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Committee

This probably answers some of my questions. All seven of them look 60 or over. Good grief.

The official seagulls site mentions that in 2002/03 the supporters club had 300 members. Given average gates at that time were about 7000, even then they only covered 4% of the fanbase. I bet it is a lot less % wise than that now.

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick

If you want to attract younger people I don't think having Liz Costa as your media rep will help. Its unlikely that any teenagers would be listening to Radio Sussex but if they saw a picture of her and heard what she said I can imagine the response would be along the lines of 'Who's that old bag who say's we're gay?'.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Approx 450 members but renewals are still coming in from Aug
The committee, John Hewitt, Liz, Sarah Watts, myself, my wife, John Kirkland, Tony Foster, Tim Carder and Jan Merritt. All voted on by the supporters club members according to the rules of the club. If anyone wants to come to committee meetings, they are open and people are welcome.
Benefits include £1 off each away coach trip, a newsletter every month with club news for £5 annually which if you go to 5 away trips has paid for itself.
Every month (usually the first Monday in the month) at a room designated by the club - more recently it has been in the media room at the Amex.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh and just for reference there are 6,652 active members on NSC. Over 15,000 in total.

There are nearly 1,500 online now. And at it's peak that's been over 3,000.

I doubt the supporters club has ever had a meeting of more than 100!!!

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
If you want to attract younger people I don't think having Liz Costa as your media rep will help. Its unlikely that any teenagers would be listening to Radio Sussex but if they saw a picture of her and heard what she said I can imagine the response would be along the lines of 'Who's that old bag who say's we're gay?'.

Is that really necessary and would you say that to her face. Please keep the discussion on topic without personal abuse.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

The reality is that even when we take 3,4,5 thousand people to an away game we at most have two supporters club coaches. So 100 people. Why do you think that is?

I'll tell you why, because no one wants to join an organisation that is run by the mutants that are in the supporters club. That isn't going to change all the time she is at the helm because she has such dim view of anyone who supports the Albion and isn't in her club. Just listen to the interview, she must have spent the last 15 years documenting how disgusted she was rather than watching the game.

And before you tell me to join the supporters club and vote her out, I've got no interest in doing so as the only point of the supporters club as far as I'm concerned is to arrange travel to games. I've no interest in travelling to games via coaches that you can't drink on. Just think it's sad for the fans that would like to join but don't want their Saturdays ruined by bingo and quizzes.

Thank goodness for the likes of A21 Club, Blues Away, Mid Sussex Seagulls etc etc

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Approx 450 members but renewals are still coming in from Aug
The committee, John Hewitt, Liz, Sarah Watts, myself, my wife, John Kirkland, Tony Foster, Tim Carder and Jan Merritt. All voted on by the supporters club members according to the rules of the club. If anyone wants to come to committee meetings, they are open and people are welcome.
Benefits include £1 off each away coach trip, a newsletter every month with club news for £5 annually which if you go to 5 away trips has paid for itself.
Every month (usually the first Monday in the month) at a room designated by the club - more recently it has been in the media room at the Amex.

So in 2002/03 it had over 300 members which acounted for 4% of the average home attendance.
Now in 2012 you have 450 members accounting for less than 2%. Frankly that is ridiculous. It couldn't be more of a closed shop.

There is a big difference between having a club that allows members to join, and having a club that actively supports it. I know the supporters club has raised many thousands of pounds for the club and AITC etc over the years, imagine what it could have achieved if it actively encouraged supporters to join.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
It doesn't really matter what percentage are or are not gay, homophobia is unacceptable. In fact, not giving a stuff whether the statistic is 5%, 50% or 100% is the right attitude.

That's what she should have said.

I do agree with Giraffe on the Supporter's Club leadership. I've never considered joining and that has got to be wrong. Now, when the times are good, more than ever we should be building a strong supporters club.

just a question who says that homophobia is unacceptable. Tell me why that too voice an opinion on homosexual intercourse is wrong. I have never really understood why it upsets people so much. People choose this lifestyle and it is bound to upset a few people, move on and accept it, not everyone shares the same belief that homosexuality is a normal lifestyle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports