Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40% crowds in October?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I don't get it.

We're going to have 3 more months of up and down press headlines. Those have decided there will be a second wave won't be going, those who think this is all a bit OTT now will.

The government needs to grow a pair and give some meaningful info on this, not the lily livered crap we're getting at the moment. I'm fed up of reading about some scientist "warning" of this and "warning" of that. We were told in March we were going to die if we went out of the house, we're now told it might be ok to go to a football game in 3 months - sort of and only some of us.

Utter nonsense.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Possible that a ballot wouldn't be required for 14k attendance. Seems feasible that around 40% of season ticket holders would take a year's 'holiday' if offered.

A half season holiday would suit me with a free stream to watch from home. I'm minded to think a voluntary arrangement would work better than imposition.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I don't get it.

We're going to have 3 more months of up and down press headlines. Those have decided there will be a second wave won't be going, those who think this is all a bit OTT now will.

The government needs to grow a pair and give some meaningful info on this, not the lily livered crap we're getting at the moment. I'm fed up of reading about some scientist "warning" of this and "warning" of that. We were told in March we were going to die if we went out of the house, we're now told it might be ok to go to a football game in 3 months - sort of and only some of us.

Utter nonsense.

Science has gone out the window - it's panic stations for the economy now. Fortunately the virus has lost the ability to jump 2m and can barely manage 1m now. Plus luckily, just in time for a push to get people back in enclosed spaces with others (offices) Covid 19 has realised takeaways and places like Pret aren't as good as shops for infecting people. That's obvious from the new mask rules. The government should stick to one spokesperson
on everything Covid related so the messages are consistent. I can't help feeling that the government sees getting the working classes back in to football stadia as a massive morale booster to a beleaguered nation, but I'm not so sure said nation is ready for it even in October.

Stumpy Tim

Assuming no away fans, that's about 12,000 home fans allowed, so about 40-45% of season ticket holders. This thread suggests 50% won´t be interested, so maybe they´ll allow season ticket holders to temporarily suspend their season tickets for 3 months and see where that leaves them. It feels like the number of those interested will be very close to the number of available tickets.

Hopefully, under the guise of encouraging attendance, the government will use this opportunity to allow football fans to drink in their seats. It doesn´t bother me hugely, but I know many would really like that law dropped.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can only see clubs suspending season tickets.

Or do I have to nominally apply for a ticket, fail and then request a refund?

For us further away they are obviously all sort of other social distancing issues involved with the travel.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Assuming no away fans, that's about 12,000 home fans allowed, so about 40-45% of season ticket holders. This thread suggests 50% won´t be interested, so maybe they´ll allow season ticket holders to temporarily suspend their season tickets for 3 months and see where that leaves them. It feels like the number of those interested will be very close to the number of available tickets.

Hopefully, under the guise of encouraging attendance, the government will use this opportunity to allow football fans to drink in their seats. It doesn´t bother me hugely, but I know many would really like that law dropped.
There will be fights everywhere, especially in the North stand of beer was flying everywhere whenever there is a goal.

If you can suspend your ticket, I would opt to do that, don't fancy a half or more empty stadium with masks on and no away fans.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I'm not sure i see the transport being an issue. People will be commuting in much larger numbers at that stage, far more frequently. I think the occasional crowded football commute will be significantly less risk from the government's perspective.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Boris Johnson has confirmed that fans could return to stadiums in the UK in October, providing they pass a series of successful trials to ensure safety measures.

The Independent understands Premier League clubs are hoping to fill grounds to 40 per cent capacity next season and has set up a working group with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport on the issue.

The reducing of social distancing guidelines to one metre means fans could, in theory, be spread between every other seat, but there are concerns that supporters sitting at diagonal angles would still be a risk. Tickets will likely be distributed to season ticket holders via a ballot system.

There are also further anxieties over how fans would travel to and from stadiums, while it’s likely attendees would have to wear a facemask due to the likelihood of shouting and singing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ckdown-sporting-stadiums-reopen-a9624276.html

Interesting. This is much higher figure than the PL's thoughts on the matter last month, when they were considering '1-in-4' (25%) or even '1-in-10' (10%). One wonders if they are being leaned on...?

The SGSA's draft report, where they invite comments, into fans returning (Restart Stage 5) is here to read. Good luck with it.

https://sgsa.org.uk/wp-content/uplo...g-for-social-distancing-at-sports-grounds.pdf

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think they have to go with those with the most loyalty points first.

Because

1) more chance of those saying they will attend actually attending
2) the fairest non judgemental way of deciding
3) the quickest way of deciding

Could probably add an opt out mechanism for those that decide they don’t want to go before they work out the top 40% or whatever the agreed amount is.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Current govt guidance is "Singing in groups should be limited to professional singers only and should be limited to a small set group of people*."

So, as long as they only open the East Upper, we should be fine.

*Well, at least that is the current guidance for places of worship, and in my view, that includes the Amex

el punal

I'm guessing not many clubs are in the position that Brighton are that it is pretty much public transport unless you can do Shanks's pony to get to the ground. That does make even a 40% attendance problematic, I guess.

To get to most London clubs you would have to use public transport, in fact this applies to most grounds in large cities where parking is severely restricted.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
To get to most London clubs you would have to use public transport, in fact this applies to most grounds in large cities where parking is severely restricted.

But not all leaving from one station at the same time. Most large cities you could walk a short way from the stadium and get away from the massed throng! Added to that the service from The Amex is very poor and creates a massive bottle neck.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Science has gone out the window - it's panic stations for the economy now. Fortunately the virus has lost the ability to jump 2m and can barely manage 1m now. Plus luckily, just in time for a push to get people back in enclosed spaces with others (offices) Covid 19 has realised takeaways and places like Pret aren't as good as shops for infecting people. That's obvious from the new mask rules. The government should stick to one spokesperson
on everything Covid related so the messages are consistent. I can't help feeling that the government sees getting the working classes back in to football stadia as a massive morale booster to a beleaguered nation, but I'm not so sure said nation is ready for it even in October.

Herd immunity 2.1

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
See where we are in October

Australia was getting 20 cases a day a month ago, today 400

Need to be very careful

Indeed where I work it was 5/6 a day for a couple of weeks, then take away lockdown it’s now 120-140 a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Rather not bother shit atmosphere policed to the hilt I will be content watching on telly or a stream.

Is that specific to the 40% in October or just the Amex generally?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It amazes me that they think we ALL have to be spaced from the person next to us. Why would families need a seat in between each of them? I’m sure I could sit next to my wife, like I usually do.

The logistics of how to put the gaps in would be interesting, but it’s not as simple as every other seat (or shouldn’t be, at least).

I’m not sure how we all file into the row or let those out who insist on getting in the half time queues early, though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here