Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40% crowds in October?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Rather not bother shit atmosphere policed to the hilt I will be content watching on telly or a stream.

Said that all along. If you can get around 12k in the Amex drawn randomly, not in normal seats and with distancing on the concourse then you can get me and my mates and family round a telly in a house or pub I'm going for the latter.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
See where we are in October

Australia was getting 20 cases a day a month ago, today 400

Need to be very careful

I do agree to a fashion.
But we could have hit herd immunity, and Australia might still have some months to get to the same point as us.
We had quite a bit of irresponsible behaviour at times, and it may be Britain has a ring of safety around most people, therefore stalling the virus.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Boris Johnson has confirmed that fans could return to stadiums in the UK in October, providing they pass a series of successful trials to ensure safety measures.

The Independent understands Premier League clubs are hoping to fill grounds to 40 per cent capacity next season and has set up a working group with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport on the issue.

The reducing of social distancing guidelines to one metre means fans could, in theory, be spread between every other seat, but there are concerns that supporters sitting at diagonal angles would still be a risk. Tickets will likely be distributed to season ticket holders via a ballot system.

There are also further anxieties over how fans would travel to and from stadiums, while it’s likely attendees would have to wear a facemask due to the likelihood of shouting and singing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ckdown-sporting-stadiums-reopen-a9624276.html

The Prime Minister said that you say? Best we wait for someone credible to confirm this then.

I would go to any games I was able, assuming we don't have a major infection uptturn, but many will be put off by the pre-season atmosphere and a cold wind blowing through the Amex. You have to assume that all games will still be televised.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I think 100% capacity much more likely.

Infection rate at 1 in 4000 and dropping means 40% capacity or 100% makes little difference in reality.

If there is reduced capacity this will be a tokenistic measure designed to engender confidence.

Unless rates increase between now and then.

100% agree. This piecemeal approach is a load of old nonsense. If the figures continue to improve just open the stadiums and get on with it.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think the big boys said that Sky, BT, The Beeb and Amazon Prime would NOT be showing all of the games live as per now.

Folks will probably resort to, whatever they are, the means they usually reach out to in such times of need.

Hadn't seen that - thanks. I wonder if there will be a live stream service for registered season ticket holders? It wouldn't be that difficult to set up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The stadium can be made relatively safe I guess, but I'm still not too keen on the idea of squeezing on and off a train. Will see how the land lies in October and make a judgement call then I suppose.

Exactly ..especially when you look at so much that has happened over the last few months

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Will this now affect the start of the EPL season?

I doubt it, they seem to have a good system / protocol in place now. And they can't afford too much of a delay with the Euros next summer

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I'm out. Its all conjecture at the moment but I'd be inclined not to go, if this does go ahead I'm hoping the club give an option to put your season ticket on hold for a year,freeing up a spot for someone that does want to go.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think 100% capacity much more likely.

Infection rate at 1 in 4000 and dropping means 40% capacity or 100% makes little difference in reality.

If there is reduced capacity this will be a tokenistic measure designed to engender confidence.

Unless rates increase between now and then.

You may wish it so but 100% capacity is certainly not much more likely. The PL have already had discussions around this subject (see Karen Brady). Don’t you think a transition period would make sense anyway ? There may be new safety protocols to follow and that is going to be a little easier with a lower attendance.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
You may wish it so but 100% capacity is certainly not much more likely. The PL have already had discussions around this subject (see Karen Brady). Don’t you think a transition period would make sense anyway ? There may be new safety protocols to follow and that is going to be a little easier with a lower attendance.

Wait and see. I think if the statistics by then show that it is likely no one in the stadium has it, or just 1 or 2 people, any restrictive measures would be unnecessary. Reduced capacity pretty pointless in that scenario and would have real financial implications for all the clubs.

Dare I say it- we can watch what happens in other countries. Pretty likely other countries in Europe will return to full crowds before we do and that will give more confidence.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Even with a reduced capacity how realistic is it to expect that many people largely travelling at the same time, will adhere to Social Distancing at the ground, let alone on public transport to get there (where you are packed in like sardines at the best of times).

Can't see Southern Rail putting on numerous extra trains so everyone can be safely spaced apart on the way to the games, unless people started travelling from early in the morning. And can you imagine how long it would take to get home on the train with restricted capacity. The 80min early leavers would have to leave at half time if that's the case.

Sadly like someone else posted earlier it's either 100% or not at all for me. Just my own opinion.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Anything this Hokey Cokey government tell you will change within the next four weeks of the initial announcement, so I dont believe a word they say till it actually happens.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Singing through a mask. It's going to be a whole new crowd noise, isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here