Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] 3rd July 2023 - Hottest day since records began - what to do about climate change?

What should we do about climate change?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Er no. But there's a bit of a difference between buying clothes when you need to and the clothing industry at large which actively encourages people to follow trends and buy a whole wardrobe of new clothes needlessly every season, which millions of people around the world pretty much do. There's been a whole host of studies into how damaging the fashion industry has been on the environment and the incredible waste - not just from people throwing out clothes they wore once on a night out or whatever, but clothing companies dumping huge amounts of unsold (mainly) cheap goods.
But presumably you buy clothes? Do you buy new ones or second hand (which I assume is not as damaging for the environment).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why not listen to GB News and then realise from reknowned meteorologist Dan Wooton that it’s all a woke plot and nothing to worry about.
I’m surprised he’s still on air at the moment given the allegations

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
But presumably you buy clothes? Do you buy new ones or second hand (which I assume is not as damaging for the environment).
Christ, yes I buy clothes, first hand mostly, sometimes second, but only when I need clothes and I don't have a wardrobe of stuff I never wear or buy clothes needlessly every season to fit in with new trends. Not sure what you're digging for?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
At least the record temperatures are affecting China this time around. Might just nudge them in the right direction re climate change
China is WAY ahead of the rest of the world on renewables. See this thread for details: [Edit - annoyingly, Twitter no longer shows you the whole thread if you click the tweet itself. If you click the "see replies" button at the bottom of the inserted tweet below, though, it should show you the whole thread]

Most of China's pollution is the consequence of manufacturing goods for Western markets. If countries like the US and UK hadn't outsourced so much of that manufacturing to China, that pollution would be happening in the US and UK instead.

I suspect that if China turned around and said "we're not making your smartphones etc. anymore, the pollution is too much" people would be up in arms.

I worry about the climate breakdown a lot, but something doesn't sit right with me when I see people blaming China for manufacturing the things that Western companies want manufactured there to save money.

Last edited:

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
really? seems unlikely without fertiliser, which in an oil free, vegan world would be rare.
. There’s numerous fertilisers that are not oil based. Manure for example. Can you point me in the direction of the research that informs your opinion? Genuine request.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Christ, yes I buy clothes, first hand mostly, sometimes second, but only when I need clothes and I don't have a wardrobe of stuff I never wear or buy clothes needlessly every season to fit in with new trends. Not sure what you're digging for?
These counter arguments like ‘you drive a car, you go on a plane, you use plastic, you wear clothes’ what’s the purpose? How does it further debate? It’s very, very weird:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
These counter arguments like ‘you drive a car, you go on a plane, you use plastic, you wear clothes’ what’s the purpose? How does it further debate? It’s very, very weird:

It's not intended to further debate, it's intended to stifle it. It's basically this

1689760633210.png

Reactions: A1X

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I'll follow the science:

Are you seriously using that publication to further your cause? It’s owned by the John Birch Society. It’s a right wing mouthpiece.
The John Birch Society (JBS) is an American right-wing political advocacy group.[1][2] Founded in 1958, it is anti-communist,[3][4] supports social conservatism,[3][4] and is associated with ultraconservative, radical right, far-right, or libertarian ideas.[12]

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
When the US climate Czar (and hundreds of other world leaders) travels in a private plane, and will even let you hire it out, that emits more pollution in one journey than your car does in your lifetime then you realise the levels of hypocrisy in this debate. One rule for them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Earlier I found 2 (two) grey hairs in my phenomenal sidies, far too close to my phenomenal hair.

As far as I'm concerned we can all burn in hell tomorrow, there's no point living today.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Are you seriously using that publication to further your cause? It’s owned by the John Birch Society. It’s a right wing mouthpiece.
The John Birch Society (JBS) is an American right-wing political advocacy group.[1][2] Founded in 1958, it is anti-communist,[3][4] supports social conservatism,[3][4] and is associated with ultraconservative, radical right, far-right, or libertarian ideas.[12]
I don't care who published it, I care what the Nobel Prize winner said much more.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
. There’s numerous fertilisers that are not oil based. Manure for example. Can you point me in the direction of the research that informs your opinion? Genuine request.
where will manure come from if we're vegan and have no cattle? this is some simple school knowledge, something vegans seem to ignore.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
where will manure come from if we're vegan and have no cattle? this is some simple school knowledge, something vegans seem to ignore.
There’s plenty of things that poop, including yourself.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I don't care who published it, I care what the Nobel Prize winner said much more.
That’s your prerogative - in my opinion (mine) I think it’s worth looking at the publishers of opinion pieces. For what it’s worth, he’s in a tiny minority and literally going against evidence you can see with your own eyes.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
Ever heard of the Maunder & Dalton minimums? Google and see what it says. We are entering a grand solar minimum at the moment and the sun is going to have less output over the next few decades, look at https://solargsm.com/ and maybe see a point of view somewhat different to the global warming, lets make loads of money, alarmists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here