Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] 3rd July 2023 - Hottest day since records began - what to do about climate change?

What should we do about climate change?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I despair of even sensible people. I have friends who fly to Mallorca every year for a weekend of cycling, and then fly somewhere hot for a family holiday with their kids, and even fly to Cornwall for a long weekend. But you get them talking and they all have fears for their kids and grandkids. No one takes personal responsibility...
It has to happen at government level, laws need to be passed. It’s why we have govt’ ffs.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It requires an emergency stop. That will never happen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This sums it all up for me. And yes, it’s real.

IMG_9689.jpeg

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
This sums it all up for me. And yes, it’s real.

View attachment 163136
Remember this photo. So true about a thousand words…I’ve tried, using more. But it aptly portrays my point about even as disaster is upon us, many would pretend otherwise never mind 30 years ago when the same points were being made and we weee in with a shout of averting.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I despair of even sensible people. I have friends who fly to Mallorca every year for a weekend of cycling, and then fly somewhere hot for a family holiday with their kids, and even fly to Cornwall for a long weekend. But you get them talking and they all have fears for their kids and grandkids. No one takes personal responsibility...
Same in terms of intelligent, well educated people who know full well that the fashion industry is horrendous on the environment yet are too vain/selfish to stop buying a shitload of new clothes every season to keep up with new trends. I include football clubs releasing a whole set of new kit/training gear etc every bloody season thesedays. It's depressing.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Jeez, just you wait till the UEFA league fixtures are out you’re gonna shit the bed!

Good news for those wanting tickets………every cloud eh?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Too late humans are too stupid and or greedy, going to hell in a smokin' electrified hand cart............... unless some boffin pulls out a humungous RABBIT

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Slow stop.

Begin with stopping on all new fossil fuel exploration in these isles.

Need green tax breaks, green grants aimed at the poor, stop the ban on onshore wind and solar, mandate solar & heat pumps on all new housing builds, big insulation push on residential, government and industrial buildings.

Start increasing fossil fuel taxes, stop giving tax breaks for big oil, individual carbon allowance (big polluters need to start paying)

GET RID OF THE TORIES
Ha ha. As if Labour would do any better. And you were doing so well.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You missed out, suppot those who seek to raise awareness of the issue and move it up people's political priorities list and vote for political parties that are doing the most to combat climate change.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Only because we rely on meat so much.

We could feed 200 million on a vegan diet just using UK crops.
really? seems unlikely without fertiliser, which in an oil free, vegan world would be rare.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
really? seems unlikely without fertiliser, which in an oil free, vegan world would be rare.
would love to know how all those UK crops feeding 200 million is going to be farmed,manufactured into products by factories and distributed amongst the masses when all petroleum based products are no longer used in any of those processes............

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Record breaking 52.2 degrees in China today folks.

If you're planning to have kids, well, don't.

It's probably game over now.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Today in the Phoenix area we equalled the record for the most consecutive days of temperatures of 110F (43.3C) or higher - 18 days. And we will absolutely smash that record - the lowest forecasted high for the next NINE days is 113F (with the highest being 118F).

Last night the recorded low tempearture was 95F (35C) - a new record for that date and the eighth successive day with a low in the 90s - setting another record.

Thank god I'm flying out of here tomorrow morning for 13 days (although there is every indication that it will be just as hot when I get back :ohmy: 🥵 ).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
the obvious answer is to have the emergency stop, end all use of fossil fuels. this will bring about close down of most the economy, but if thats necessary then thats what's needed. could go with high carbon taxes, just allow the middle classes and rich to carry on, while making cost of living crisis look mundane. or we could go the carbon capture route, not seeming to be taken that seriously. everything else is just pretending to deal with the issue.

And the working class?

Mrs T diligently recycles unrecyclable plastics by driving to a special place that recycles them. To be fair, that special place is in the car park of the supermarket where she shops, so two birds, etc. Well, that's the UK sorted.

Meanwhile, what do we do to stop America, India and Brazil from their hand-cart to hell agenda?

Incidentally I heard on the radio today that China is only the 30th worst greenhouse gas generator. Per capita.

My own views? The present warming appears to have started when the Industrial revolution started, and it may well be that the forces that are triggering the warming can't be switched off very easily, don't correlate linearly with the warming, and are not easily characterized in what amounts to the most complex autoregulating system on the planet. Yes....the planet.

Here is a question. How do humans and all other mammals autoregulare their body temperature? In humans we keep it around 37-38 degrees despite the weather. We eat, we shit, and we wear clothes (not necessarily all at the same time). All at 37-38 degrees.

Now, write an equation to explain that. And work out how much food we need to eat every day over the next week to maintain body temperature, taking into account fluctuations in room temperature and level of exercise/activity. From first principles, converting calories to joules/coulomb.

See, it isn't simply a case that if I smoked fewer cigars I'd get cooler, or if I ran round the block in an overcoat a bit I'd warm up again. Oh - too much - too hot - I'm burning! Except I'm not.

No, mammalian temperature autoregulation is a mysterious thing. The autoregulation of the planet, a process owned by all the life on it, is also a mysterious thing. And just like a pimple, indigestion, a bit of a cold, even a broken arm, and some fairly moderate mental health problems won't necessarily kill us, neither, I suspect will global warming.

My money is on it all going the other way, with global cooling, starting entirely unpredictably, at some point.

That's no reason to not recycle and to not petition for green power etc. I may have made this pint before on another thread, I am not going to die if I don't was or brush my teeth for a month, but I'm going to stink and become even more unpopular with my work colleagues. So it makes sense to do the right thing. Innit.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks for
Today in the Phoenix area we equalled the record for the most consecutive days of temperatures of 110F (43.3C) or higher - 18 days. And we will absolutely smash that record - the lowest forecasted high for the next NINE days is 113F (with the highest being 118F).

Last night the recorded low tempearture was 95F (35C) - a new record for that date and the eighth successive day with a low in the 90s - setting another record.

Thank god I'm flying out of here tomorrow morning for 13 days (although there is every indication that it will be just as hot when I get back :ohmy: 🥵 ).
Thanks for sharing. Have a good break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here