Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3rd Ashes Test Match: Edgbaston - 30 July to 3 August

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would still play Flintoff, as he can win you matches singlehandedly.

Forget resting him, every single of these Tests is as important as the next, do not assume a draw from this one already.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Flintoff isn't unfit, just "at risk" and a bit fragile.

exactly. regardless of the wicket, i assume it's going to be a bit wet there. not sure it's ideal conditions for someone with a fragile knee.

Very dangerous to go into a test match with a mindset of expecting a draw because of the weather. Generally you only need 4 days worth of play in a test match to get a result so there could still be one. Whilst everyone says there will be no pace in the wicket etc its possible that the nature of it being unprepared could keep the bowlers interested.

which is a good point and makes selection a question i'm glad i don't have to answer. it's also what makes this series between two fairly evenly matched teams both with some fitness and form concerns so absolutely fascinating.

edit: this doesn't look too good...

106519.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You could leave out Swann for Shah or whoever else the next batter in line is and give three batsmen a try out for two positions in the next test. If the weather and pitch is as bad as people say a spinner's a bit pointless

Not pointless in the slightest. If a slow pitch is making seam bowling a long hard slog, then you have to have a spinner to bowl long spells at one end, so the others can put their back into it for short blasts from the other.

Colly can be fourth bowler .

Give over.

15 test wickets at 55.8

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Watson is a dog and will do well to last 5 days without breaking down as he's more injury prone than Sir Freddie's knee - I'd rather see him play than Hughes who is a bit of a dangerman frankly...
I'm of the glass is half full opinion on this test, Edgbaston is probably our best bet for another win so, and far be it for me to contradict Robert Smith, lets not have any "prayers for rain" and just take it to the Aussies and go 2 up.
It's so much more fun watching the Ashes in Oz when we are competitve, last series was back to the bad old pre-2005 days...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought Hussey would open as he's got a decent record at the top of the order and Watson could come in a 5/6. Whenever i've seen Watson he's looked a very average player, I could see bringing him in for North to strengthen the bowling but for Hughes i'd say is odd even if he's having a poor series

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
And if Onions is fit, he's done well enough to keep his place and these conditions should be perfect

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I read something earlier saying groundstaff privately can't see any play at all today.

I've heard that rumour as well, they are hoping provided no rain overnight tonight for a post lunch start tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here