3rd Ashes Test Match: Edgbaston - 30 July to 3 August

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wicket for Broad, and another catch for Prior. Hussey's out

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yep, I feel we needed 3 wickets in that session. The bookies have the draw now 5 times more likely than an England win.

Basically, we need at least one of the bowlers to have a demon spell after lunch. I'd bowl Anderson and Onions for the first hour in tandem.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep, I feel we needed 3 wickets in that session. The bookies have the draw now 5 times more likely than an England win.

Basically, we need at least one of the bowlers to have a demon spell after lunch. I'd bowl Anderson and Onions for the first hour in tandem.
Nah, toss it to Flintoff - see if he can unsettle this fairly new pair. Anderson on at the other end, and Onions on for Flintoff if it isn't happening.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see Strauss is going with Broad after lunch. That's a huge call - he seems to have boundless faith in Broad's bowling.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Well he did get Hussey out and was bowling well before lunch

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A fruitless half and hour and now Swann's on for Broad - still no Anderson. The lead is 90 runs. Strauss has generally captained well but he's dropped the ball on this one.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He has indeed. Anderson is the man in form and yet, where is he? :nono:

I've given up on this one now. Time to do some work. :down:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
A fruitless half and hour and now Swann's on for Broad - still no Anderson. The lead is 90 runs. Strauss has generally captained well but he's dropped the ball on this one.

Why? Because there hasn't been any wickets? If Anderson comes on in half hours time and gets 3 or 4 is Strauss then a genius for picking the time right? Or did he still drop the ball for not doing it earlier?

Who'd be an England captain aye?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I disagree with you there Samhale86.

In the hour since lunch when Anderson hasn't bowled England odd's have gone from 11-2 to 13-1. Cricinfo basically think the game's up. Their lead's 100 and if Anderson came on now he'd need to take 4 or 5 wickets in the next hour.

That's criminal captaincy from Strauss, unless Anderson has a knock I don't know about.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I disagree with you there Samhale86.

In the hour since lunch when Anderson hasn't bowled England odd's have gone from 11-2 to 13-1. Cricinfo basically think the game's up. Their lead's 100 and if Anderson came on now he'd need to take 4 or 5 wickets in the next hour.

That's criminal captaincy from Strauss, unless Anderson has a knock I don't know about.

Fresh and with a new ball, he may just take those 4-5 wickets.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If 200 off 20 overs is the tipping point then with the 2 overs for the changeover the Aussies would need 3 runs an over for the next 27 overs.

Is anyone watching this on the telly? Is Anderson on the field?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Aussie lead 159, 38 overs left in the day. I wonder whether Ponting will consider a declaration, mainly to wrest the initiative from England going into the 4th Test?

England's top order bar Strauss have looked shaky. With a 200 plus lead and, say, 20 overs left that'd be enough time for us to be 60-4 at the close with questions being asked of Bopara, Bell and Cook.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Is anyone watching this on the telly? Is Anderson on the field?

Anderson on the field and now bowling. irrelevant really though at this stage.

main concern is Flintoff - he looks dead on feet and getting himself up off the turf looked painful. i'd honestly be surprised if he plays the next test. maybe back for the 5th...?

Bumble is singing. please end this now....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is obviously going to be a draw so can't the captains agree and call it a day now. I would take Flintoff off and bring on the 12th man as Freddie will not be needed to bowl anymore.

It is obviously going to be a draw so can't the captains agree and call it a day now. I would take Flintoff off and bring on the 12th man as Freddie will not be needed to bowl anymore.

What about the spectators that have paid to be there? Do you think they want the players to march off now? Cricket pays little enough attention to its public as it is, don't encourage them!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
What about the spectators that have paid to be there? Do you think they want the players to march off now? Cricket pays little enough attention to its public as it is, don't encourage them!

i really don't think the spectators will be that bothered about being denied a couple of hours of meaningless cricket.

even if we got two consecutive hat-tricks now (what would that be called? a sex-trick?) we'd need to score at about 6 per over...just end it.

doubt they will come out after tea....or at least, not for long.

edit: actually, forget that last bit...i'm sure the aussies will want to bat on and try to knacker out our bowlers as much as possible.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Australia would do well to bear in mind that less than 6 months ago England capitulated to 51 all out vs the Windies. I'd definitely put them in for 20 overs tonight.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unless the Aussies declare and hope to bowl us out cheaply I am sure the paying ciustomers will not miss much. Would assume Ponting will let Clarke get his ton then call it a day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports