3rd Ashes Test Match: Edgbaston - 30 July to 3 August

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
At least Freddy looks like he is trying to get forward, there won't be much short stuff because the Aussies want it to swing....get forward lads.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Right! Now let's take some Aussie wickets.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Heh heh heh, cheerio Ricky, enjoy the rest of the cricket tonight.

On the pavilion TV set :lolol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it's 150 for first class stuff, and 200 for internationals.

I could be very wrong though.

Pretty much. It's 200 for a 5 day game, 150 for a four-day and 100 for a three day. I think it might even go down to to 50 for a two-day game. But if a five day Test had the whole of the first day rained off, the follow on limit would be 150

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Pretty much. It's 200 for a 5 day game, 150 for a four-day and 100 for a three day. I think it might even go down to to 50 for a two-day game. But if a five day Test had the whole of the first day rained off, the follow on limit would be 150
Spot on, almost.

Law 13 (The follow-on)

1. Lead on first innings
(a) In a two innings match of 5 days or more, the side which bats first and leads by at least 200 runs shall have the option of requiring the other side to follow their innings.

(b) The same option shall be available in two innings matches of shorter duration with the minimum required leads as follows:
(i) 150 runs in a match of 3 or 4 days;
(ii) 100 runs in a 2-day match;
(iii) 75 runs in a 1-day match.

2. Notification
A captain shall notify the opposing captain and the umpires of his intention to take up this option. Law 10.1(e) (Insufficient time to complete rolling) shall apply.

3. First day's play lost
If no play takes place on the first day of a match of more than one day's duration, 1 above shall apply in accordance with the number of days remaining from the actual start of the match. The day on which play first commences shall count as a whole day for this purpose, irrespective of the time at which play starts.
Play will have taken place as soon as, after the call of Play, the first over has started. See Law 22.2 (Start of an over).

So basically, the length of the match depends on when the FIRST ball is bowled. Any other lost day has NO bearing on the follow on target..

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
10.50am Andrew Miller has arrived. Rejoice! "Lots of lovely cloud cover today," he says. "It ought to swing like a sado's gimp." His future as a weather forecaster is confirmed.

COME ON ENGLAND

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports