392 away fans!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I have nothing against Wigan Athletic ( in fact I believe they do some of the best meat an tattie pies in the league) but cannot help but think that when they get relegated from the prem they will go into freefall down the leagues. Remember going there, all the pubs have pictures of the rugby league team its just not a footballing town. 392 away fans at Loftus road is bloody appalling...........Hope I'm wrong!!!

D

Deleted member 18477

i'd agree with that. they struggle to fill their stadium as it is. but as long as they keep staying up then they deserve to be there! no denying that.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
The problem with Wigan there fan base is not going to come from outside Wigan like other clubs, its a to small town, i hope your wrong about them falling they have done well, im not a big Whelan fan but he has done wonders for that club

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
I went to Spurs v Wigan a few seasons ago with a relative and there must have been about 200 Wigan fans there max. They have done amazingly well to stay in the Premier League.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Bear in mind though that QPR were charging £72 per ticket for away fans, I think the new guy has reduced them, but even if he's knocked 20% off that's still a bit stiff to see your team play.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Bear in mind though that QPR were charging £72 per ticket for away fans, I think the new guy has reduced them, but even if he's knocked 20% off that's still a bit stiff to see your team play.

They can stick it!! mind you they are or have been prepared to pay players up to £50 k a week..stupidity

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove

I never knew that!!! I hope every prem club charges QPR fans the same price as their own fans are charged at loftus road.... I mean come on £72 for an afternoon in the bush....who the f*** is he kiddin'

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Whether the price be £30, £35 or £72!!

392 away fans in the prem is pretty poor..

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I lived in Wigan for a while and it is a rugby town, and Wigan Ath is totally funded by Dave Whelan who owns JJB Sports. Your right they do not fill out the stadium even with great offers & free seats given away to local schools every week. The rugby club needed whelans dosh to build the stadium it shares with Wigan Athletic as they were bust and is the only reason Wigan Ath got a stadium. Springfield park (where we all went before our ramble too Archers house anyone recall it !) averaged about 2000-2500 per home game. Wigan are never going to maintain a premiership place and free fall is going to happen in time when Whelan leaves or passes on Great pies though

Wigan kebab -- three pies on a stick.
Wigan wedding cake -- three pies on top of each other.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I lived in Wigan for a while and it is a rugby town, and Wigan Ath is totally funded by Dave Whelan who owns JJB Sports. Your right they do not fill out the stadium even with great offers & free seats given away to local schools every week. The rugby club needed whelans dosh to build the stadium it shares with Wigan Athletic as they were bust and is the only reason Wigan Ath got a stadium. Springfield park (where we all went before our ramble too Archers house anyone recall it !) averaged about 2000-2500 per home game. Wigan are never going to maintain a premiership place and free fall is going to happen in time when Whelan leaves or passes on Great pies though

Wigan kebab -- three pies on a stick.
Wigan wedding cake -- three pies on top of each other.

I used to live in Skem

Wigan - the land that time forgot and where you can still buy yours shellsuit and wear it without looking out of place :lol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They're background is a non-league club, with a tiny fan base, in a redhot Rugby League town.

The JJB-money from a generous and now very old benefactor, propelled them to the PL.

In the long term, it cannot be sustained as Pl; with a mass of far bigger clubs in far bigger (cities) likes Brighton, S'ton, P'mouth, Leicester, Notts, Derby, M'boro ... financially and fan bases ready to move up.

Wigan's low home & away crowds reflect their low core support.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I think there was 500 odd palace at Blackpool, and good luck to them a long trip in Jan to sit on that open west stand...Brrr, and dont forget they have sold out at Cardiff.

I allways wonder whether starters of these threads go away themselfs!!

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I think there was 500 odd palace at Blackpool, and good luck to them a long trip in Jan to sit on that open west stand...Brrr, and dont forget they have sold out at Cardiff.

I allways wonder whether starters of these threads go away themselfs!!

Been going to see the Albion away since 85, been to 67 grounds!!! So you just wonder away to yourself!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports