[News] 39 bodies found in lorry in Essex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Just announced they now believe lorry entered from Zeebrugge to Purfleet. Won't read to much into details coming out early investigation.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Driver name has been released too. Lots of facebook pictures of his lorry !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wonder what his cut of the deal was. Bet he did alright out of it, or would of.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wonder what his cut of the deal was. Bet he did alright out of it, or would of.

Or indeed if he knew anything about it. Presumption of innocence until otherwise ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Here we go again with another attempt to enter the "promised land" as it's being sold to those so desperate that they will try anything. Enough is enough on this suffering and misery,governments simply play lip service with meaningless statements of sadness and regret. Just take the traffickers out it's the only thing that they understand. These murderers knew what they were doing when they sealed the container doors.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Or indeed if he knew anything about it. Presumption of innocence until otherwise ?

The thing is, even if he did or did not know about the 39 poor souls, apart from the squaring the blame directly on the driver, and the ******** who profit from this terrible ordeal, surely this tragedy might have been averted if the customs, wherever the lorry had initially travelled, used the thermal heat detectors for searching out stowaways.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
How did this get missed by customs, thought all lorries went through the infra red imaging camera to pick stowaways up. Poor people.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The thing is, even if he did or did not know about the 39 poor souls, apart from the squaring the blame directly on the driver, and the ******** who profit from this terrible ordeal, surely this tragedy might have been averted if the customs, wherever the lorry had initially travelled, used the thermal heat detectors for searching out stowaways.

Whenever I am in Calais I watch the sniffer dogs go up and down -it seems odd that 39 could go undetected?? Yes, they may be trained to sniff out drugs, but on one occasion, they had sniffed out something, and when the French Police arrived, there were migrants hauled out of the back of a lorry. But the sheer scale of this seems so odd?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
An expert in the field, the Chair of the Human Trafficking Foundation, suggests it's probable that no trafficking was involved. Also possible the driver had no knowledge.

There are thousands of Asylum seekers around Northern European ports desperately trying to reach the UK. There have apparently been many more regular attempts and Asylum seekers found from Zeebrugge of late where 4000 containers go too and fro each day.

A freight container and ferry is treated slightly differently to the trucks you see going through Calais. They are normally sealed by coded bolt and less likely to be opened up. Though an accomplice with access to bolt could possibly reseal

A very sad state of affairs however it turns out

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think it is terrible that driver has been named. So many assuming has driven from Bulgaria. Who knows may have just been employed to pick up container from Port

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Whenever I am in Calais I watch the sniffer dogs go up and down -it seems odd that 39 could go undetected?? Yes, they may be trained to sniff out drugs, but on one occasion, they had sniffed out something, and when the French Police arrived, there were migrants hauled out of the back of a lorry. But the sheer scale of this seems so odd?

dogs cannot smell inside hard siders unless they open the doors.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think it is terrible that driver has been named. So many assuming has driven from Bulgaria. Who knows may have just been employed to pick up container from Port

Seems very unfair to me, he is assumed guilty already

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Besides the obvious anguish and trauma for the bereaved, I'm also sparing a thought for the emergency workers whose jobs are to secure, sanitise, process, identify and liaise with the next of kin. I can't put myself in the shoes of that call handler at 1:30 in the morning from a member of public saying there's dozens of bodies in the back of a lorry. And the first responding paramedics and police...this will be one of their traumatic career-defining incidents that will always linger with them. I really hope there's good welfare support and help on hand for them. Ultimately of course, they are human just like the rest of us, getting paid not enough to do jobs most of us wouldn't even think about on a daily basis.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Besides the obvious anguish and trauma for the bereaved, I'm also sparing a thought for the emergency workers whose jobs are to secure, sanitise, process, identify and liaise with the next of kin. I can't put myself in the shoes of that call handler at 1:30 in the morning from a member of public saying there's dozens of bodies in the back of a lorry. And the first responding paramedics and police...this will be one of their traumatic career-defining incidents that will always linger with them. I really hope there's good welfare support and help on hand for them. Ultimately of course, they are human just like the rest of us, getting paid not enough to do jobs most of us wouldn't even think about on a daily basis.

Very much this. The Channel Four News tonight was excellent on all this (it's usually excellent about most things) and they had a brief interview with someone from the Red Cross making the same sort of point.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Here we go again with another attempt to enter the "promised land" as it's being sold to those so desperate that they will try anything. Enough is enough on this suffering and misery,governments simply play lip service with meaningless statements of sadness and regret. Just take the traffickers out it's the only thing that they understand. These murderers knew what they were doing when they sealed the container doors.

I totally agree with every word.
Firstly I am tired of thoughts and prayers and we must learn from this.
Secondly how difficult would it be to put agents from this country but of the same ethnicity as the refugees behind the lines and catch the traffickers, this could be a Europe wide operation in conjunction with other EU countries and winkle the buggers out.
I fear this news will disappear until the next time, after all plenty have died in dinghy's before today.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Very much this. The Channel Four News tonight was excellent on all this (it's usually excellent about most things) and they had a brief interview with someone from the Red Cross making the same sort of point.

I don't watch C4, but it's good to hear that other people share the same concerns. The statements that come out from the police media team / press office are always just so devoid of emotion, and bland - it really does take away from the human toll this has on everyone involved.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yep I was uncomfortable with BBC news tonight. They named the driver and broadcast a picture of him, from I assume from Social Media. I've just read a report in the Daily Telegraph that he reported it the police himself and it is "unlikely" he knew what he was carrying.

I really didn't need to see the lorry being driven with the dead bodies inside either and people taking pictures.

However, in the top of the frame was a police officer, standing still with head bowed in respect as the lorry drove past. I wished the news had taken his lead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports