Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 39 bodies found in lorry in Essex

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
The only good that could come out of this is to make a vidio and lots of pictures and circulate to the communities where these folk come from, Syria, Iraq, Iran, where ever.
Circulate in the originating communities to let them see that the future is not always better than the grim life they already have.
It's a big issue, but we have to try and stop it somehow [at source preferably].

OK mate, grab your camcorder and your polaroid, someone will give you a bunk up in to that trailer.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I don't quite know where to start.

Well have a good try.

I don't know whether the traffickers that make money out of this make sure that their customers are made aware of the risk that they are undertaking. I would guess they don't.

Suggestion was a bit extreme, but is there anything wrong with the idea that they should be aware of the dangers, as well as the perceived benefits, so that they can make an informed decision when parting with their hard-earned.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well have a good try.

I don't know whether the traffickers that make money out of this make sure that their customers are made aware of the risk that they are undertaking. I would guess they don't.

Suggestion was a bit extreme, but is there anything wrong with the idea that they should be aware of the dangers, as well as the perceived benefits, so that they can make an informed decision when parting with their hard-earned.
I think they are well aware. You don't hand over your life savings to unaccountable people traffickers unless you are absolutely desperate.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The only good that could come out of this is to make a vidio and lots of pictures and circulate to the communities where these folk come from, Syria, Iraq, Iran, where ever.
Circulate in the originating communities to let them see that the future is not always better than the grim life they already have.
It's a big issue, but we have to try and stop it somehow [at source preferably].

As NSC solutions go, this is up there with the ‘Stick Balogun upfront’ post.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Well have a good try.

Syria

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ombing-campaign-rebel-held-syrian-city-idlib/

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I think they are well aware. You don't hand over your life savings to unaccountable people traffickers unless you are absolutely desperate.

You think they are well aware. You do not know, I do not know, we can all guess.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, that might deter a few holidaymakers from coming the budget route. But desperate people?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You think they are well aware. You do not know, I do not know, we can all guess.
Well yes.

So what you're saying is that you personally cannot empathise with these people to the extent that you wouldn't have to be particularly desperate to hand over 20+ years of life savings to a criminal*?

*a known criminal, not a con artist

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Completely and utterly insane.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thank you for the link to some current news. As has already been mentioned, we do not know where they originated from. We can all guess.

Perhaps you could point us to some news from Vietnam/China as well.

I'm not going to get into this but it seemed we were discussing why someone that lives in Syria might know of all the risks they are taking in getting to the UK but make the choice to travel anyway.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Imagine if we could have only somehow shown a video to all the Polish Jews in 1939 who were risking their lives to escape Nazi occupied Europe. If we could have just dissuaded them from making the dangerous journey we could have saved so many from.. oh.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Well yes.

So what you're saying is that you personally cannot empathise with these people to the extent that you wouldn't have to be particularly desperate to hand over 20+ years of life savings to a criminal*?

*a known criminal, not a con artist

Beyond the first 2 words of your reply is again completely fiction from your mind. Please, if you can, point out where I laid bare my thoughts that led you you to that conclusion.

Guesswork and assumptions should not be your guide, I'm sure they wouldn't be in your work.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
I'm not going to get into this but it seemed we were discussing why someone that lives in Syria might know of all the risks they are taking in getting to the UK but make the choice to travel anyway.

I agree, there is nothing to get into, we fundamentally agree. I just don't like guesswork and assumptions. We were discussing a lorry that originated in Bulgaria. Until you posted a link Syria had not been mentioned.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

What an utterly abhorrent post.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Beyond the first 2 words of your reply is again completely fiction from your mind. Please, if you can, point out where I laid bare my thoughts that led you you to that conclusion.

Guesswork and assumptions should not be your guide, I'm sure they wouldn't be in your work.
In cases like this, where we don;t know for sure that people know what the risks are in handing over thousands of dollars to people traffickers, I don't see how empathy isn't a useful barometer.

It certainly beats your pointless truism that we don't know what they're thinking IMO.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Here is where Syira is mentioned.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think 39 people dead in a container after a route that puts Phineas Fogg to shame tells us everything we sadly need to know.

Not really ....sometimes people are forced to do things through choice..but let’s play it the way you are indicating ..And perhaps consider that the real problem is the people who organise trafficking ..of course we could expand it further into the reasons why people look to move country

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here