Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £30m offer for Levi Colwill rejected

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
His form has dipped, but that doesn't mean he has no ability on the ball.

Attached is an analysis piece on him from totalfootballanalysis.com

He is a perfect candidate for our style of play.
I watch a lot of Ajax.... You could argue his form has dipped.

On the other hand you could argue he is one of the biggest donkeys in the history of Ajax and that's going lightly. Absolutely atrocious this season. Completely humiliated against Napoli and Liverpool. Woeful player.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
@GeorgeZ3ro tweeted: "If Colwill was at Brighton and Chelsea wanted him they would as minimum 80m. Absolutely have no shame. Mid table clubs always overprice their players. Caicedo for 80m where you can get a cheaper alternative for half the price."

had to laugh at this quote from a Chelsea fan regards our bid.....
That’s easily explained. It’s because Tony knows how to run a football club. Unlike Chelsea we don’t go out looking for shiny glittery baubles to appease the egos of fans who take some kind of tacky reflected glory in the price of players. If we can buy Levi at a decent price because Chelsea can’t afford not to sell, then all good. If he is not for sale then we will buy someone else because Tony (unlike Todd) isn’t desperate.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I just can’t see us going higher than £40m and just can’t see that being anywhere near enough for chelsea to let go. We should just leave it at that and go back to our way of doing things. Suspect this is as much the club showing RDZ we at least tried to get him in than really expecting it to come off.
I agree, we need to show RDZ that we tried. Done early in the window and reported that rejected out of hand ‘not for sale’. Therefore, we can legitimately move on.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chelsea, if the papers are to be believed, are trying to sign a glut of players who will all cost in excess of 50 million. If they are already on the precipice of failing FFP how does this work? Surely they have to offload a shitload of players too. Colwill deal looks dead in the water but Chelsea's inability to rein in spending cannot continue can it? Depending on what Colwill himself wants this saga may have some time to run unless TB just moves onto his next target.

They should employ a Dullard to help them out as they seem to be totally and utterly clueless about football finances :smile:

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Now rumours that Man Utd are willing to throw in Maguire as part of the Mount deal. Could have an impact on Colwill if there is any truth in it. Could push him further down the pecking order.....or not.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I watch a lot of Ajax.... You could argue his form has dipped.

On the other hand you could argue he is one of the biggest donkeys in the history of Ajax and that's going lightly. Absolutely atrocious this season. Completely humiliated against Napoli and Liverpool. Woeful player.
Aren't you the guy who thinks Mac Allister has been "bang average" since the World Cup?

Maybe player assessment isn't really your bag?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
RLC, Hudson Odoi, Lukaku, Kovecic, Chalobah, Havertz, Mount, Ziyech, Pulisic, maybe Kante. Loads of players linked with moves ATM sadly. Our best chance is either an exchange or that those players don't leave. IF we get a few more weeks down the line and the majority of the above are still at the club they're going to find it very difficult to turn down an increased offer for LC. If the majority of those do leave I suspect it's game over whatever we offer.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
RLC, Hudson Odoi, Lukaku, Kovecic, Chalobah, Havertz, Mount, Ziyech, Pulisic, maybe Kante. Loads of players linked with moves ATM sadly. Our best chance is either an exchange or that those players don't leave. IF we get a few more weeks down the line and the majority of the above are still at the club they're going to find it very difficult to turn down an increased offer for LC. If the majority of those do leave I suspect it's game over whatever we offer.
I honestly think they are going to struggle to offload or get decent fees for some of them. Particularly Chalobah, Lukaku and Ziyech. They will beg anyone to take Lukaku for nothing given the wages he's on. I don't think Chalobah, RLC or Ziyech are worth more than £10-15mil personally. I think there's a fair they might get a bit twitchy as the window goes on, Which Im hoping is when we might take advantage. Everyone knows they are over a barrel, so aren't going to bid mega bucks for any of them

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Chelsea fans losing their shit over our “ insulting offer” for Colwill. Seemly we have ripped out millions from them and now trying to “steal” a world class defender!

warms the cockles of the heart

Never seen so many heads fall off over an opening bid. I know Mr Todd has been spunking allsorts on loads of players over the year but surely they are familiar with the concept of a negotiation?

They don't seem to be able to separate their emotions from reality.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Chelsea, if the papers are to be believed, are trying to sign a glut of players who will all cost in excess of 50 million. If they are already on the precipice of failing FFP how does this work? Surely they have to offload a shitload of players too. Colwill deal looks dead in the water but Chelsea's inability to rein in spending cannot continue can it? Depending on what Colwill himself wants this saga may have some time to run unless TB just moves onto his next target.

They should employ a Dullard to help them out as they seem to be totally and utterly clueless about football finances :smile:

I think its a constantly moving situation. Numerous sources have said loads of Chelseas squad is up for sale and they clearly have to make money back. I suspect they have a list of preferences that would be sold before Levi but that really depends in whether the market wants them or not. I think this bid just registers our interest in him should they need to sell.

I wonder whether we end up I a proxy 'loan' situation. If they can't shift enough of their rubbish where we take him for say 45m with a 50m buy back clause in 2 years or something like that. Effectively giving them cash and time to sort FFP out but still able to take a developed levi from 22 / 23. I know Tony wouldn't normally do buy backs but maybe under these conditions in lieu of a loan.

Chelsea are treading a lot of high wires at the moment. FFP. The need to shift players. Incoming Poch's opinions and the roiling annoyance of their fans.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Now rumours that Man Utd are willing to throw in Maguire as part of the Mount deal. Could have an impact on Colwill if there is any truth in it. Could push him further down the pecking order.....or not.
Depends. What would Maguire actually do at Chelsea ? I find it difficult to believe he would be signed as a footballer.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Short answer: Amortisation

If they spend, say, £300m on players in July... firstly it won't be in the calculations for the season just gone (where they are trying to comply with FFP by selling before the end of June). That gives them the rest of this window from 1st July, the Jan window and then the start of the window (to eo June) to make sales to balance the FFP books for the 23/24 season.
Secondly, the cost of the players bought will be spread over the length of their contracts through amortisation. Assuming the player(s) signed for £300m are given 5 year contracts, only £60m of that cost will go into the 23/24 accounts (the rest being spread at £60m per season for the rest of the contract(s).)
The benefit of selling players brought through the academy is that the whole fee counts as profit towards FFP (the remaining 'balance' of amortised player purchases will come off the sale price for bought players before any 'profit' is booked), so selling Mason Mount for £60m effectively covers a £300m outlay (assuming 5 year contracts) in the short term (for FFP purposes at least).

But like buying stuff on the never-never, it will all catch up with them soon. The year-on-year, residual cost of previously amortised contracts means they are always going to be starting from a big negative (e.g. £10m per year for 8 years on Mudryk alone) on transfer costs. They are F***ED if they keep missing out on CL revenue (shame).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here