Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 reasons we will gain automatic promotion this season

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not sure why Baldock gets so much stick and gets compared to CMS. For starters Baldock has a very good touch, something CMS didnt have. Also while CMS ran around a lot and i loved him for it, the runs wernt really doing much apart from winning the odd throw from a keepers hurried kick. Baldock was causing havoc with his runs at the start of the season, He is the sort of striker that could make a lot of space for another.

Totally agree. I was a CMS fan but had to recognise his shortcomings. I think Baldock is a far better all round player and always looks dangerous.

He runs around like a chicken WITH a head.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Like most Albion players, Sam Baldock's reputation has improved on NSC while he hasn't been playing and other scapegoats have stepped up to the plate...

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Totally agree. I was a CMS fan but had to recognise his shortcomings. I think Baldock is a far better all round player and always looks dangerous.

He runs around like a chicken WITH a head.

I'm not really a fan of either player, another striker who doesn't score goals is not much use to us right now, however Baldock did seem to make Hemed play better. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
KLL though, I don't think he will be first choice in the team when Murphy is fit. He is more powerful than Murphy but I think CH likes what Murphy brings in terms of his constant running from start to finish and his willingness to get back and defend as well as attack. He doesn't give you much defensively except his presence and an extra body back there but that is one more body back defending than KLL gives.

You speak a lot of sense in general, Mr.Noo. Not having this, though! Lualua is very simply a more talented footballer than Murphy.

Murphy has been shocking for weeks, and badly in need of a rest (up to Saturday, which I didn't see). Lualua is not yet fit (could barely run at Rotherham), but when he is, he'll be the man.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How many games have we had: Kaz, Knockeart, Murphy, Baldock, Hemed, Zamora and Wilson available at the same time?

Would be great to get another striker in, but I'm not throwing the towel in if we don't.

Not a Man U supporter then!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Like most Albion players, Sam Baldock's reputation has improved on NSC while he hasn't been playing and other scapegoats have stepped up to the plate...

Always the way, CMS was bordering on World Class by the time he came back from his long lay off :smile:

I have to confes to being a big fan of Baldock. If he could just stop getting injured and play 10 or so games on the bounce I think we'd see a very good player :shrug:

He was not playing badly IMO just before his last injury, although I accept the not scoring enough goals argument.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Always the way, CMS was bordering on World Class by the time he came back from his long lay off :smile:

I have to confes to being a big fan of Baldock. If he could just stop getting injured and play 10 or so games on the bounce I think we'd see a very good player :shrug:

He was not playing badly IMO just before his last injury, although I accept the not scoring enough goals argument.

That's the frustration with Baldock he looks the part, touch is good, movement excellent, just doesn't score enough.

Much better than CMS in my opinion.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's the frustration with Baldock he looks the part, touch is good, movement excellent, just doesn't score enough.

Was saying the same thing about March's shooting at the start of the season, woeful shooting, then bam, suddenly every shot is on target, goals, hitting the woodwork, chances. Hoping the same thing can happen to Sam, just needs to relax in front of goal a bit more.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

All of that.

CMS was decent enough in his first season without setting the world alight. He ran around enthusiastically, scored a few goals (not quite enough) but then scored one or two absolute worldies that kept his balance with Albion fans in the black (Burnley away, Leeds at home). But he was quickly worked out by savvy Championship defenders, his finishing wasn't good enough and by the time he got injured and lost half a yard of pace, he had become a total liability. He looked Conference level at best at times when he returned last season.

Like you, I'm a fan of Baldock. He works just as hard as CMS did, but his runs tend to be very clever and he creates space. He doesn't score enough goals for me, but if he did he would be a Premier league player. Hopefully that is something he tries to work on, especially as IMO, he does have the required composure.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm not really a fan of either player, another striker who doesn't score goals is not much use to us right now, however Baldock did seem to make Hemed play better. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not?

Best pairing for two upfront, one operating as a target striker and the other second striker (off the shoulder) of false number 9 (or a bit of both). Spanish way says if you have a Messi-type you don't need a target man. Translated for the benefit of CH fans. We don't need two target men i.e. Zamora and Hemed together, although sometimes I would not rule this out (stop the floated crosses and put in some low ones is better*). NB: if we have chasing he game and we want the second header option, push Dunk forward. (*called threading the ball through to the strikers)

I am very tempted to play:

Stockdale
Bruno Dunk NewDefender Bong
Kayal Stephens NewMidfielder
Knockeart Lualua (plays Suarez role) No place for Baldock or Hughes and only a cameo for Wilson
Hemed or Zamora (or NewStriker)

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Best pairing for two upfront, one operating as a target striker and the other second striker (off the shoulder) of false number 9 (or a bit of both). Spanish way says if you have a Messi-type you don't need a target man. Translated for the benefit of CH fans. We don't need two target men i.e. Zamora and Hemed together, although sometimes I would not rule this out (stop the floated crosses and put in some low ones is better*). NB: if we have chasing he game and we want the second header option, push Dunk forward. (*called threading the ball through to the strikers)

Stockdale
Knockeart Lualua (plays Suarez role) No place for Baldock or Hughes and only a cameo for Wilson

Who is Hughes, have I missed a signing ?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Stockdale

Looks very narrow, plus I think there would be cash penalties due to Man.Utd If we don't play Wilson enough

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All of that.

CMS was decent enough in his first season without setting the world alight. He ran around enthusiastically, scored a few goals (not quite enough) but then scored one or two absolute worldies that kept his balance with Albion fans in the black (Burnley away, Leeds at home). But he was quickly worked out by savvy Championship defenders, his finishing wasn't good enough and by the time he got injured and lost half a yard of pace, he had become a total liability. He looked Conference level at best at times when he returned last season.

Like you, I'm a fan of Baldock. He works just as hard as CMS did, but his runs tend to be very clever and he creates space. He doesn't score enough goals for me, but if he did he would be a Premier league player. Hopefully that is something he tries to work on, especially as IMO, he does have the required composure.

There's really good analysis of Baldock going on on this thread. It's up to him to start putting the ball in the net, and then we won't need to justify all the other things he does to such an extent.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Are you having a laff? You're having a laff. Have you ever seen Kazenga play?

Yep many times. First time was when Chris played him in and FA Cup match for Newcastle many years ago. Seems like I am in a minority of one who thinks that Jamie will play ahead of Kaz - Time will tell

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep many times. First time was when Chris played him in and FA Cup match for Newcastle many years ago. Seems like I am in a minority of one who thinks that Jamie will play ahead of Kaz - Time will tell

I think that we all accept that some managers will persist with players that the fans don't rate or feel need a few games out of the team, It seems that you have CH's ear but it was Kaz who put us top of the table in the first place, so I hope he is not kept out of the side by a player who's form has gone west, even if he does put in a plenty of effort every game.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think that CH was a BIG fan of CMS and apparently tried to sign him when he was at Norwich. I think we, as Brighton fans, have seen that being a striker and running about a lot and showing lots of endeavour whilst having lovely hair doesn't really cut it at this level.

No absolutely NOT. Chris once said his style would have suited Millwall. That was when Kenny Jacket was manager and they played a sort of diamond shape with James Henry and Liam Feeney swapping wings but he most certainly did not try and sign him for Norwich

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here