Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 reasons we will gain automatic promotion this season

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I think Knockaert looks a fine signing.

Clearly a skillful player, I'm surprised by his work rate and tenacity. Hughton's got a type hasn't he, he can't abide passengers.

No wonder he's so highly regarded by the Leicester fans.

and once he settles he will be even better

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How many games have we had: Kaz, Knockeart, Murphy, Baldock, Hemed, Zamora and Wilson available at the same time?

Would be great to get another striker in, but I'm not throwing the towel in if we don't.

What has Ritchie done to upset you?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
You were talking about forwards, which I took to be strikers.

We had: Hemed, Baldock and Zamora.
We now have, Hemed, Baldock (hopefully), Zamora and Wilson.

Hemed and Baldock are hardly setting the Championship alight; not sure they are good enough for this Division (Baldock seems to be another CMS - great goal-scorer in League One, but hasn't made the step up).
Zamora is unlikely to play 90 minutes every game, because of his age.
Which leaves Wilson.

We desperately need another striker - but in terms of availability, cost (for real quality) and competition from other clubs who can afford more than us in transfer fees/wages, I'm not optimistic.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Just more hot air and wishful thinking, unless we get that genuine decent goal scorer we will do well to finish in the top 6

Of course it is wishful thinking, similar to your posts............only positive.

Q. If a £10+ million rated striker is the answer, why does James Wilson not count?

A. Because he isn't scoring enough goals

So what guarantee is there that another player will slot straight in and start scoring? At least I am focusing on what we already have when I am dreaming.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It was indeed a very nice post - However, what is missing at the moment is the self belief that we were better than everyone else, which was there earlier in the season. Thats up the the players to believe it again. Its up to CH to make them believe it again and then its up to them to win a few games in a row which should give them that confidence again.

Those few defeats set them back big time mentally.

You might be right about Knockeart, I can't really comment as I have never ever seen him play. KLL though, I don't think he will be first choice in the team when Murphy is fit. He is more powerful than Murphy but I think CH likes what Murphy brings in terms of his constant running from start to finish and his willingness to get back and defend as well as attack. He doesn't give you much defensively except his presence and an extra body back there but that is one more body back defending than KLL gives.

For me I will aim for a play off place and anything else is a bonus. There will probably be one or two new signings in the next two weeks because the budget available for this transfer window, I don't think has been breached yet.so I am expecting a striker and hopefully a midfielder who can score. Another full back would obviously be nice as well but thats just being greedy.

So for me where we finish will come down to getting that confidence back which we had about 8 or 10 games ago

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Not sure why Baldock gets so much stick and gets compared to CMS. For starters Baldock has a very good touch, something CMS didnt have. Also while CMS ran around a lot and i loved him for it, the runs wernt really doing much apart from winning the odd throw from a keepers hurried kick. Baldock was causing havoc with his runs at the start of the season, He is the sort of striker that could make a lot of space for another.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Not sure why Baldock gets so much stick and gets compared to CMS. For starters Baldock has a very good touch, something CMS didnt have. Also while CMS ran around a lot and i loved him for it, the runs wernt really doing much apart from winning the odd throw from a keepers hurried kick. Baldock was causing havoc with his runs at the start of the season, He is the sort of striker that could make a lot of space for another.

Someone mentioned earlier about Knockaert putting in a shift and not being a passenger and that being Hughton's type. Totally agree. Baldock may not be a prolific striker but he and Hemed had a very good, very hard working partnership until his injury. It helped us press high and played an important part in early success. Zamora and Wilson are probably better at sticking the ball away than Hemed and Baldock but it's too simplistic to think that simply means you should play them as their work rate makes the team better and helps the team score goals. I think we've really missed Baldock. Wilson is a talented player for sure but to me, like many young players, he tends to go missing at times. We've got 4 decent Championship strikers, it would be great to add that but an average signing wouldn't help us. I saw someone suggest signing both Kodija and Clough, eh? If we sign someone they need to be hard working and know where the net is. There's no point signing someone who is no better than what we already have.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Isn't that what Towell was for. We can't go on buying up surplus players just to sit on the bench

I havn't a clue. I have yet to see Towell play, you might be right but you cant just say YEP thats it we have our quota and our set team. You have to always be looking to improve the squad in every position at every transfer window

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
It was indeed a very nice post - However, what is missing at the moment is the self belief that we were better than everyone else, which was there earlier in the season. Thats up the the players to believe it again. Its up to CH to make them believe it again and then its up to them to win a few games in a row which should give them that confidence again.

You might be right about Knockeart, I can't really comment as I have never ever seen him play. KLL though, I don't think he will be first choice in the team when Murphy is fit. He is more powerful than Murphy but I think CH likes what Murphy brings in terms of his constant running from start to finish and his willingness to get back and defend as well as attack. He doesn't give you much defensively except his presence and an extra body back there but that is one more body back defending than KLL gives.

For me I will aim for a play off place and anything else is a bonus. There will probably be one or two new signings in the next two weeks because the budget available for this transfer window, I don't think has been breached yet.so I am expecting a striker and hopefully a midfielder who can score. Another full back would obviously be nice as well but thats just being greedy.

So for me where we finish will come down to getting that confidence back which we had about 8 or 10 games ago

Agree with you about confidence, but I think you're being unfair regarding Kaz's defensive contribution - it's been much improved in the last couple of seasons IMHO, can remember a good few decent tackles and blocks. Hope to see Kaz and Knocky tearing into opposition defences over the next couple of months.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Agree with you about confidence, but I think you're being unfair regarding Kaz's defensive contribution - it's been much improved in the last couple of seasons IMHO, can remember a good few decent tackles and blocks. Hope to see Kaz and Knocky tearing into opposition defences over the next couple of months.

I didn't mean to be unfair to Kaz. I am probably slightly biased towards Jamie and Chris does like the work rate that Jamie puts in. Of course if Kaz comes in and plays brilliantly then it will be hard for Chris to leave him out

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Are you having a laff? You're having a laff. Have you ever seen Kazenga play?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I havn't a clue. I have yet to see Towell play, you might be right but you cant just say YEP thats it we have our quota and our set team. You have to always be looking to improve the squad in every position at every transfer window

I think you have to bed in the new boys you have purchased before you can decide if you need even more cover. I accept you always have to look to improve but if you don't know how good what you have is then how can you possibly recruit to better it

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
They're all massive games now, but with Burnley v Derby Monday night, feels a real chance to put some pressure back on if we can bag 3pts and get back into 3rd on Saturday. Up against a resurgent Huddersfield who are fast climbing the table and scoring plenty of goals - 19 in the last 10 games; more than anyone else in the league! :eek:

I've been having a look at their results and, whilst they've scored a lot, five of them came against Charlton. Two against Bolton. Three against Preston.

They've conceded a fair few recently as well. Brentford knocked four past them. Leeds and Weds :)lolol:) three apiece.

Its going to be tough certainly, all the games in this league are, but I don't think they're going to have as much luck in front of goal against our back four as they have against others.

Interestingly a fair few of their goals have come in the last 15 minutes. Something to be mindful of.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

I can run from start to FINNISH does that mean I'm in with a SHOUT of a start on Saturday ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can run from start to FINNISH does that mean I'm in with a SHOUT of a start on Saturday ?

I think that CH was a BIG fan of CMS and apparently tried to sign him when he was at Norwich. I think we, as Brighton fans, have seen that being a striker and running about a lot and showing lots of endeavour whilst having lovely hair doesn't really cut it at this level.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't mean to be unfair to Kaz. I am probably slightly biased towards Jamie and Chris does like the work rate that Jamie puts in. Of course if Kaz comes in and plays brilliantly then it will be hard for Chris to leave him out

Kaz does put the defence work in. He was the first one of the team to be suspended for 5 yellows although one of those was for dissent. The other four were for tackles.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Blimey, when did that happen then?
Murphy (for me), has been a big disappointment so far.

KLL much better, in fact both Elliott and Marshall looked better Saturday as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here