Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3.01 pm kick-off. Time for some more preaching

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Unconvinced from your expert position as a qualified psychologist presumably. Or unconvinced because one minute of your football time is going to be taken up with a potentially life saving message played precisely at its target audience?

Unconvinced in general by one-off happenings. I’d have thought an ongoing programme would have been a much better idea, linked with the website, Seagulls TV etc.

One-off events are soon forgotten. They just reek of box-ticking. A video before the game to launch the initiative would be fine, but it seems this one video is the be all and end all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
#Goldstone
Feel free to pop round my house any time. I'll show you pictures of my Daughter who took her own life. Indeed my avatar is the last picture she took. I now speak to people just to say 'Hi, how you doin' just in case. Since the Amex was opened they've had campaigns for assorted male cancers and it has encouraged my to go and have the tests.
So on Saturday, watch the film and then, if you see someone alone at the end of a train platform you might just go up to them as ask 'Hi, how you doin' and save a life.

Hi. I know you’re not in this thread for sympathy, but my heart goes out to you, I never knew about that. Take care.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unconvinced in general by one-off happenings. I’d have thought an ongoing programme would have been a much better idea, linked with the website, Seagulls TV etc.

One-off events are soon forgotten. They just reek of box-ticking. A video before the game to launch the initiative would be fine, but it seems this one video is the be all and end all.

That would be ok if it was a BHA initiative but it is from the FA, because it is an FA cup game.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jan/03/every-mind-matters-030120

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

They might be forgotten by most but they might not be forgotten by all.

Gotta be worth a minute?

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
If one person in the crowd tomorrow feels able to confront their mental health issues after seeing something like this then great, bring it on.

theboybilly

I disagree with you on almost everything you say on this board - which I think is what you want (as a dedicated WUM). You come across as a thoughtless, ignorant arse (again, I suspect, deliberately). If you are in any way serious then I think you communicate very badly.

All that said - I agree with you on this. A minute before kick-off is really NOT the time to be given a lecture by a pointless, posh, welfare recipient. However well meaning the whole idea.

It's not going to be the minute starting at 15:00 though is it? I would have thought a minutes reflection or short video on the screen a few minutes before the teams come out would be the way to do it. It's up to the individual how they approach this, thankfully I am lucky that mental health issues have not impacted on my life but I know many that cannot say the same. I will think of them

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Presumably you'll be pleased to hear then that this is just a small part of a much wider and longer integrated campaign from Public Health England?

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Poor a day after Chris Barker took his own life. A young Male in the football world.

I for one applaud the efforts that football is taking on this issue.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

It is ironic that this minute of reflection tomorrow will coincide with some clubs recognition of the passing of Chris Barker, e.g. probably at Cardiff as it was at Derby v Barnsley last night.
We got to know Chris nearly 25 years ago when he played in the same team as my lad, so it was strange when his elder brother signed for the Albion a couple of years later. He just a normal, good lad - no airs and graces of being a footballer and sometimes went out of his way to help. It is just so sad. This is what I will think about tomorrow, but for more than the minute.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That would be ok if it was a BHA initiative but it is from the FA, because it is an FA cup game.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/jan/03/every-mind-matters-030120

So, it would seem that, far from being a one off video that is the be all and end all, it's part of a partnership with Heads Together and Every Mind Matters and that people can complete a clinically assured Mind Plan - and indeed over a million have already.

It would also seem the one minute videos at football that are throwaway are actually to sell us yet more mindless tat - something [MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] and [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] don't ever appear to have complained about :shrug:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I ignore advertising at football. It’s the visual equivalent of white noise. It leaves no impression on me whatsoever. If you asked me to name any product advertised on the big screens I couldn’t name one.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I ignore advertising at football. It’s the visual equivalent of white noise. It leaves no impression on me whatsoever. If you asked me to name any product advertised on the big screens I couldn’t name one.

You can't ignore all advertising - it's literally EVERYWHERE. Even our stadium's name is advertising. The shirts the players wear, the balls, every poster or mural is some sort of advertising.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You couldn't name one? Really? How about Amex?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Amex is what the stadium’s called. It’s there constantly so may be more effective than a one off advertisement. If they advertise American Express on the screens, which is what I was talking about, then I’ve never noticed. I will never own an American Express card.

Anyway, to sum up: I hope this short ad does well; I doubt it will; I hope I’m wrong.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
10 pages in 4 hrs ?

Can't be arsed reading it but assume [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] is talking complete bollocks whilst being backed up by the other two wise monkeys [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION] and [MENTION=28630]Hastings gull[/MENTION]. I'm guessing they are still struggling to come to terms with the fact we are in the 21st century, let alone a new decade.

Brand new year, same old shit :lolol:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
A short film narrated by the Duke of Cambridge will be played at FA Cup matches to encourage football fans to look after their mental health.
The film will be played in stadiums just before kick-off at every FA Cup third round match this weekend.
Kick-off for all 32 fixtures will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their well-being.

What a bunch of extreme bollocks. Is anyone REALLY going to consider their well-being for one minute before a football match because they're prompted to? We're football fans going to a football match. Stop assuming we all need help. And if we do, then a football match is not the time or place. Everyone's fecking virtue signalling. Oh, aren't we great, we're pretending to be interested in mental health … two weeks ago it was rainbow laces. Open a frigging church next door to the Amex so that folks who want to be preached at can go in there before the game. Rant over. Well, this one anyway … for the moment.

Just imagine if you can if this had been done before a game at the Goldstone. Everyone would have fallen about laughing … and this would be the correct reaction tomorrow.

If that video makes one person thinks twice about ending their life then it's the right thing to do. I'm all for condemning virtue signalling but in this instance I think it's a case of you being an ignorant fanny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here