Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 3.01 pm kick-off. Time for some more preaching

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It’s nice at least that the attitude of the OP seems to be slowly disappearing from the mainstream. The goldstone falling about laughing if this had been brought up was a small part of the problem. Mental Heath issues do matter. If one minute helps someone then great - football got something right.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s nice at least that the attitude of the OP seems to be slowly disappearing from the mainstream. The goldstone falling about laughing if this had been brought up was a small part of the problem. Mental Heath issues do matter. If one minute helps someone then great - football got something right.

The idea that there might have been a big screen at the Goldstone made me fall about laughing. Some seasons they couldn't even find the Player of the Season's Redifusion TV.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
A short film narrated by the Duke of Cambridge will be played at FA Cup matches to encourage football fans to look after their mental health.
The film will be played in stadiums just before kick-off at every FA Cup third round match this weekend.
Kick-off for all 32 fixtures will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their well-being.

What a bunch of extreme bollocks. Is anyone REALLY going to consider their well-being for one minute before a football match because they're prompted to? We're football fans going to a football match. Stop assuming we all need help. And if we do, then a football match is not the time or place. Everyone's fecking virtue signalling. Oh, aren't we great, we're pretending to be interested in mental health … two weeks ago it was rainbow laces. Open a frigging church next door to the Amex so that folks who want to be preached at can go in there before the game. Rant over. Well, this one anyway … for the moment.

Just imagine if you can if this had been done before a game at the Goldstone. Everyone would have fallen about laughing … and this would be the correct reaction tomorrow.

I disagree with you on almost everything you say on this board - which I think is what you want (as a dedicated WUM). You come across as a thoughtless, ignorant arse (again, I suspect, deliberately). If you are in any way serious then I think you communicate very badly.

All that said - I agree with you on this. A minute before kick-off is really NOT the time to be given a lecture by a pointless, posh, welfare recipient. However well meaning the whole idea.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
One of the problems in life right now is being forced to listen to someone else’s message. I’m sure the address from the DoC will be educational, informative and positive to many people, why does everyone else have to hear it? Before I get flamed, let me digress......

Yes, those who do want to be preached to can stay at the bar, but why should they have to? Maybe they themselves have had mental health issues in the past and do not want to be reminded of them. Anyway....

My boss was regaling a story today about poor diets. It seems here in Oz if you are working away from home the employer is duty bound to provide you with all of your meals. So, a sales rep working away from home one week in four sent in his expenses receipts to be reimbursed. His lunchtime snack regularly include a big bar of chocolate and a sugary, fizzy drink. Not as an extra but as his main course. Now, whilst weird it is not illegal. My now boss, after some discussion, informed him that he would stop the company from paying these expenses as it might leave them open to future problems on ‘his’ watch.

Just another example of opinion being forced upon others. It should stop.

Awaits the usual self appointed know all’s to show up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Stopped reading when you said virtue signalling, which told me all I needed to know about the tone of your post.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
What a bunch of extreme bollocks. Is anyone REALLY going to consider their well-being for one minute before a football match because they're prompted to?

Yes they will, Fortunately, amongst the likely audience of several hundred thousand people, not everyone is like your good self. Let’s assume that 0.1% of people seek help as a result with 250,000 people attending games. That’s 250 people. This would be well worth it.

Oh and the actual rate of population with mental health issues in the uk was 19% in 2014 and has been rising ever since. That means that at least 35,000 of those 250,000 would be experiencing some sort of mental health issue.

Lastly, football is absolutely the right place. It’s where the target audience is! Do you ever wonder why toolstation advertise at matches? Or Heineken?

1 minute to raise awareness of and reduce stigma around the second greatest health issue in the world today is ok...it really is [emoji4][emoji106]

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It's 60 seconds out of your life. No drama really.

Exactly. It's one minute of your life against someone's life.

If it helps even one person to seek help or talk to someone then it's worth it. Mental health issues, especially amongst Men is still seen as a taboo subject to talk about, people are worried they will be seen to be weak if they admit to any issues, that thinking needs to be changed. Anything that raises awareness and encourages people to reach out for help is a good thing.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
A short film narrated by the Duke of Cambridge will be played at FA Cup matches to encourage football fans to look after their mental health.
The film will be played in stadiums just before kick-off at every FA Cup third round match this weekend.
Kick-off for all 32 fixtures will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their well-being.

What a bunch of extreme bollocks. Is anyone REALLY going to consider their well-being for one minute before a football match because they're prompted to? We're football fans going to a football match. Stop assuming we all need help. And if we do, then a football match is not the time or place. Everyone's fecking virtue signalling. Oh, aren't we great, we're pretending to be interested in mental health … two weeks ago it was rainbow laces. Open a frigging church next door to the Amex so that folks who want to be preached at can go in there before the game. Rant over. Well, this one anyway … for the moment.

Just imagine if you can if this had been done before a game at the Goldstone. Everyone would have fallen about laughing … and this would be the correct reaction tomorrow.

Embarrassing fishing attempt. We don’t need fans like you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think it’s a safe assumption for at least one supporter.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Hi ya [emoji112]

Two points.

1. Isn’t it good that the DoC is doing ‘work’ and actually pulling his finger out and addressing what will probably be one of the biggest issues of our time (The 20’s).

2. If just one suicide is prevented by this message, won’t it have been a success? Isn’t it worth the risk, just in case that happens?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've literally just been speaking with a colleague (due back today) who is having to take time off work as a close (male) relative unexpectedly took a serious overdose on NYD and is being admitted to a secure unit.....................does the OP have any advice other than trying a bit of 'laughter' ?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
All that said - I agree with you on this. A minute before kick-off is really NOT the time to be given a lecture by a pointless, posh, welfare recipient. However well meaning the whole idea.

Given that he is one of the royals who has spearheaded this campaign to raise awareness about mental health suggests he is not as pointless as he might otherwise have been considered to be...

https://www.royal.uk/heads-together...rrys-campaign-end-stigma-around-mental-health

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

But the OP is not saying that mental health is unimportant, is he? He is questioning why everyone should have to hear the message regardless and we must also ask ourselves when it will stop, as other pressure groups/charities demand parity of treatment. You can afterall value mental health AND think that this type of gesture is inappropriate. Of course if one person seeks treatment, then that is good, which I fully accept, but who is to say that they would not have done that anyway? We had a similar thread a few months ago about silences when people have died, and I think that majority opinion seemed to be that if this is going to happen on a regular basis, then the whole thing would become rather too routine to be truly thoughtful and reflective, unless there were truly exceptional circumstances, such as with the young lad in the autumn. I suspect that other issues will crop up, and KO times at 3.01 may become more regular, and then I think opinions will start to change.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Exactly. It's one minute of your life against someone's life.

If it helps even one person to seek help or talk to someone then it's worth it. Mental health issues, especially amongst Men is still seen as a taboo subject to talk about, people are worried they will be seen to be weak if they admit to any issues, that thinking needs to be changed. Anything that raises awareness and encourages people to reach out for help is a good thing.

But back to my point from earlier. Once you start this kind of thing where does it stop? Surely every illness is equally deserving? So therefore it needs to be done at every game until all illnesses and afflictions are given equal "airtime".

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But back to my point from earlier. Once you start this kind of thing where does it stop? Surely every illness is equally deserving? So therefore it needs to be done at every game until all illnesses and afflictions are given equal "airtime".

You genuinely don't understand mental illness. We get it. Stop digging.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

Wow, just when we think we ight getting somewhere in educating people. I suppose you think casual racism and homophobia is a load of old nonsense. Lets take a guess at who you voted for.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You genuinely don't understand mental illness. We get it. Stop digging.

I am not at all sure that you can possibly be in a position to make such a statement - the issue of laughter was cited as one possible source of help, not the only one, was it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of the problems in life right now is being forced to listen to someone else’s message. I’m sure the address from the DoC will be educational, informative and positive to many people, why does everyone else have to hear it? Before I get flamed, let me digress......

Yes, those who do want to be preached to can stay at the bar, but why should they have to? Maybe they themselves have had mental health issues in the past and do not want to be reminded of them. Anyway....

My boss was regaling a story today about poor diets. It seems here in Oz if you are working away from home the employer is duty bound to provide you with all of your meals. So, a sales rep working away from home one week in four sent in his expenses receipts to be reimbursed. His lunchtime snack regularly include a big bar of chocolate and a sugary, fizzy drink. Not as an extra but as his main course. Now, whilst weird it is not illegal. My now boss, after some discussion, informed him that he would stop the company from paying these expenses as it might leave them open to future problems on ‘his’ watch.

Just another example of opinion being forced upon others. It should stop.

That’s a crap analogy as we are talking about a one minute video and not someone’s interpretation of legislation. As an aside it sounds like an urban myth anyway.

I digress.....if a one minute video (playing in the background) can affect you so much how do you get through the day when there’s adverts being, no doubt to you, “rammed down your throat” via the tv, radio, billboards, newspapers, magazines, internet, shops etc etc? Oh my god, there’s a McDonald’s ad....aaaaaaaaRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here