[Football] 3.01 pm kick-off. Time for some more preaching

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Guess the OP hasn't had to deal with mental illness impacting anyone close. If one single person is helped by it (maybe someone contemplating suicide who decides to speak to someone perhaps ? I dunno) then it'll have been worthwhile IMO. Football is arguably the IDEAL place for something like this - blokes are far less likely to face up to MH issues.

The OP is a dick who has long been on my ignore list. That makes me feel smugger than Eddie.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So am I correct in thinking that the majority of posters on this thread believe that someone who is "a bit down" or is "having a bad day" actually has a mental health issue? No wonder there are so many people suffering with the problem. I seem to remember the time, not long ago (but it seems now that it may have been in a different galaxy) when people who hit a bit of a roadblock in their lives dealt with the problem without a lot of fuss, dusted themselves down, and got on with their lives. Now it appears that every problem that someone faces is labelled as a mental health issue and blown out of all proportion.

Nope.....that was easy to answer

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I hope that as well as awareness of mental health issues, we start to look at their causes, particularly of the year-on-year increase. Awareness and improved treatment (promised in various recent manifestos) will not sort the root cause unless we get a handle on what's causing it.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
And how exactly is having a 3.01pm kick-off going to help them? Are we going to have a 3.01 pm kick-off at EVERY game and feature a different illness at every game? Cancer at the next game, lower back pain at the following one? We've got to be fair and treat everyone equally you know. That is now the way of the world. Brighton and Hove Albion is a FOOTBALL club, not a medical clinic.

I’m sorry you feel this way but your entitled to your opinion .
Personally we as a family have come through the cancer stage (Cornish seagull) now 6 years clear .
Lower back pain of which I’ve had three op countless injections which has also given me bad depression at times .
Also today is five years since my dad passed away
So 1 minutes pause for thought not a problem with me .
If we did that every game for any other illness to help bring awareness not a problem either
Take care have a nice day and happy new year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So am I correct in thinking that the majority of posters on this thread believe that someone who is "a bit down" or is "having a bad day" actually has a mental health issue? No wonder there are so many people suffering with the problem. I seem to remember the time, not long ago (but it seems now that it may have been in a different galaxy) when people who hit a bit of a roadblock in their lives dealt with the problem without a lot of fuss, dusted themselves down, and got on with their lives. Now it appears that every problem that someone faces is labelled as a mental health issue and blown out of all proportion.

You couldn’t have posted a better reason why we need more awareness and what a great idea a 1 min delay to kick off is.

Well done you for being honest and highlighting the necessity of the campaign.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You haven’t got a clue have you?

Everyone, probably, might have a down day.

Entirely separate to that and it’s always been around (I have distant ancestors who committed suicide via the old gas oven method), there is mental illness. Commonly depression or severe anxiety, but other types too, where people suffer immense sadness, loneliness, they often can’t see good reason to live. It may be inherited, conditioned, event caused, or just from the roll of life’s dice.

Publicity on the help available can only be a good thing in a decent society. A football game is a good place to catch the attention of machismo types who may be suffering in silence.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Thanks for highlighting everything that's wrong with me.

Again I hope those following don't have to attempt to live in a 'strong silent, Boys Don't Cry, stiff upper lip' England.
I hope they are better equipped at seeking help or have people around them able to recognise when help is needed, before it's all too late.

Last edited:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012

:wanker:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
One of the problems in life right now is being forced to listen to someone else’s message. I’m sure the address from the DoC will be educational, informative and positive to many people, why does everyone else have to hear it? Before I get flamed, let me digress......

Yes, those who do want to be preached to can stay at the bar, but why should they have to? Maybe they themselves have had mental health issues in the past and do not want to be reminded of them. Anyway....

My boss was regaling a story today about poor diets. It seems here in Oz if you are working away from home the employer is duty bound to provide you with all of your meals. So, a sales rep working away from home one week in four sent in his expenses receipts to be reimbursed. His lunchtime snack regularly include a big bar of chocolate and a sugary, fizzy drink. Not as an extra but as his main course. Now, whilst weird it is not illegal. My now boss, after some discussion, informed him that he would stop the company from paying these expenses as it might leave them open to future problems on ‘his’ watch.

Just another example of opinion being forced upon others. It should stop.

Awaits the usual self appointed know all’s to show up.

Are you trying to compete with Goldstone as to who can be the most boring w@nker.
Nobody cares what you or your boss do or say.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Jesus mother****ing Christ.

Can we please reboot 2020 already?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
A short film narrated by the Duke of Cambridge will be played at FA Cup matches to encourage football fans to look after their mental health.
The film will be played in stadiums just before kick-off at every FA Cup third round match this weekend.
Kick-off for all 32 fixtures will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their well-being.

What a bunch of extreme bollocks. Is anyone REALLY going to consider their well-being for one minute before a football match because they're prompted to? We're football fans going to a football match. Stop assuming we all need help. And if we do, then a football match is not the time or place. Everyone's fecking virtue signalling. Oh, aren't we great, we're pretending to be interested in mental health … two weeks ago it was rainbow laces. Open a frigging church next door to the Amex so that folks who want to be preached at can go in there before the game. Rant over. Well, this one anyway … for the moment.

Just imagine if you can if this had been done before a game at the Goldstone. Everyone would have fallen about laughing … and this would be the correct reaction tomorrow.

Idiot.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Mental health awareness is very important but I’m unconvinced that a one-off event before a football match will do any good. It just seems like a checklist approach. “Well, we got them to play a video before a football game so that’s that sorted for the next twelve months.”

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
#Goldstone
Feel free to pop round my house any time. I'll show you pictures of my Daughter who took her own life. Indeed my avatar is the last picture she took. I now speak to people just to say 'Hi, how you doin' just in case. Since the Amex was opened they've had campaigns for assorted male cancers and it has encouraged my to go and have the tests.
So on Saturday, watch the film and then, if you see someone alone at the end of a train platform you might just go up to them as ask 'Hi, how you doin' and save a life.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Poor a day after Chris Barker took his own life. A young Male in the football world.

I for one applaud the efforts that football is taking on this issue.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mental health awareness is very important but I’m unconvinced that a one-off event before a football match will do any good. It just seems like a checklist approach. “Well, we got them to play a video before a football game so that’s that sorted for the next twelve months.”

If you constantly worry about whether things will do any good, it wouldn't be worth doing anything would it?

The net result of it not doing any good is it just annoys a few curmudgeons for 1min of their lives. I mean honestly, the laces thing, 1min tomorrow, I can't see a problem with a sport that reaches millions around the world having a hand in many important issues of the day. Perhaps it really should be more outward looking.

No one gives a monkeys the constant gambling advertising and marketing shoved down our throats, but 1min for mental health awareness and some people feel a rant coming on.:shrug:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I'm delighted that football is taking a strong role in raising awareness for this issue and men's health issues in general. The de-stigmatization of MH issues is very important and the much greater awareness today is in stark contrast to the cover up of many years ago. Every little helps and this is a worthwhile exercise by the EFL. The OP is just a self important broflake looking for offence at pretty much everything.

Hopefully more people will seek the help they need as a result, just as potential prostate cancer, and heart issue sufferers have.

Just for once football is trying to be a force for good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Unconvinced from your expert position as a qualified psychologist presumably. Or unconvinced because one minute of your football time is going to be taken up with a potentially life saving message played precisely at its target audience?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wow, just when we think we ight getting somewhere in educating people. I suppose you think casual racism and homophobia is a load of old nonsense. Lets take a guess at who you voted for.
Somebody thinks mental health is important but questions whether a one minute film at the beginning of a football match is the most appropriate way of tackling the problem, and you wade in with that he is in favour of casual racism and homophobia. Wow! Stereotyping, anybody?
Oh, the intolerance of 'tolerant' people!

el punal

A short film narrated by the Duke of Cambridge will be played at FA Cup matches to encourage football fans to look after their mental health.
The film will be played in stadiums just before kick-off at every FA Cup third round match this weekend.
Kick-off for all 32 fixtures will be delayed for 60 seconds to prompt fans to consider their well-being.

What a bunch of extreme bollocks. Is anyone REALLY going to consider their well-being for one minute before a football match because they're prompted to? We're football fans going to a football match. Stop assuming we all need help. And if we do, then a football match is not the time or place. Everyone's fecking virtue signalling. Oh, aren't we great, we're pretending to be interested in mental health … two weeks ago it was rainbow laces. Open a frigging church next door to the Amex so that folks who want to be preached at can go in there before the game. Rant over. Well, this one anyway … for the moment.

Just imagine if you can if this had been done before a game at the Goldstone. Everyone would have fallen about laughing … and this would be the correct reaction tomorrow.

I sincerely hope that you, or those close to you, don’t suffer from those problems that you seem to be so dismissive about. If it helps those that are afflicted or makes them aware then that’s fine by me.

By the way, are you equally critical of the club commemorating the fallen before Rembrance Day? :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports