Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: Australia v England at Adelaide

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
And there we go - right thats me out, I going to sleep and like when I go to bed and we are doing ok and wake up to find out we've collapsed perhaps the reverse will happen!

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Oh FFS. That's surely the Ashes handed back to the convicts. Absolutely pathetic. No way back from this shambles now.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Thus far, the single worst display by an England team down under. Regarded as a better side, man for man, they have been beaten out of sight by an Aussie team that is not exactly outstanding. In fact, in the history of Australian cricket, this lot would rank as very ordinary. We were assured that there would be improvement at Adelaide. That England had been caught cold at Brisbane and would regroup and bounce back much stronger. If anything, this was a worse performance on a much easier wicket.
Don't hold your breath for the rest of the series. Its gone. Its just a question of how many we lose by.
Abject surrender usually indicates lack of effort or character or a mixture of both. We are now seeing the true colours of some of these England players, who have been lauded in recent years. When the chips are down, they either can't fight back or aren't prepared to. You can see the culprits. Fine when the going is good. Not so impressive under pressure.
You need to be led by a strong and courageous captain. We are being led by a player who has crumbled mentally and is now a gift wicket to the opposition. Not much hope for the rest, is there.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
It was obvious they had to go in and just play out time and pray for rain but when I saw us trying to win I thought they must know better perhaps it was some cruel trick being played on the aussies, make them think they have won and then snatch victory to leave them crying in to game three with their press humiliating them ........

Nah we were just crap.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Can we turn this around and draw the series with 2 wins and a draw in the remaining 3 tests?

Bloody hell you are optimistic, I don't know a great deal about cricket but this seem incredibly unlikely after the way we have played so far.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All it takes is Cook Peterson and Bell to score some runs, or in fact any 3 batsmen then hang on to the catches as both Clarke and Haddin could have gone cheaply so it is down to application and mistakes.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well I bloody hope it happens, looks to me like confidence is shot and the Aussies have the mental edge over us.\

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Telling statistic - not one of the deliveries that dismissed English batsmen in their 2nd innings would have hit the stumps. None.

I've been saying it throughout this thread, especially to those extolling the bowling of Johnson like he is some kind of unplayable paceman. He's still very playable, but you have to be selective in your shots. In the 2 test matches, of our top 6 batsmen, Johnson has 8 wickets. 1 clean bowled (Cook), 1 LBW (Stokes), 1 caught Keeper (Trott), and I think 2 caught at slip. Out of 24 wickets of our top order, he has 8, to my mind 4 or so of which were gifted to him.

He is not this miraculously transformed speed menace that has terrorised England. We've just been awful, pure and simple.

I'd like to know what Gooch and the team are actually doing out there. Why does there seem to be a mental plan to go after anything short? Did we lose 4 or 5 wickets that last innings hooking or pulling down the leg side? This match was savable on that pitch, no doubt about it, but you can't afford to lose 1 wicket caught on the fine leg boundary let alone 4 or 5.

Our bowling is insipid as well. I'd like to see Monty retained, Swann dropped and Finn in for Perth. I'm not sure what else we can do to the batting. Root did enough to stay at 3, but if anything I'd like to see Bell come in before KP who remains the one player I'd consider dropping for Ballance at this point - to make a point.

Prior has perhaps done just a whisker of enough to keep his place ahead of Bairstow with that last knock, but still, after playing a controlled scoring innings he plays an inexplicable shot to get out.

Perhaps going to Perth we should be blooding the likes of Finn, Ballance, Bairstow to what the Ashes is all about. The positive might be toughening them up for future battles as this series is gone away, as has most of our team.

I also wish Cook could have come out and been a bit more forthright and not the typical, oh we've got to take the positives, we have to learn from this, we're still in the series blah blah blah. There were no positives Alistair mate, it was a total shower of shite from start to finish. You've given us barely a moment where we could feel we were in this series, perhaps the first morning when they were 150-6 or whatever, but you managed to f*ck that up as well.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I've been saying it throughout this thread, especially to those extolling the bowling of Johnson like he is some kind of unplayable paceman. He's still very playable, but you have to be selective in your shots. In the 2 test matches, of our top 6 batsmen, Johnson has 8 wickets. 1 clean bowled (Cook), 1 LBW (Stokes), 1 caught Keeper (Trott), and I think 2 caught at slip. Out of 24 wickets of our top order, he has 8, to my mind 4 or so of which were gifted to him.

He is not this miraculously transformed speed menace that has terrorised England. We've just been awful, pure and simple.

I'd like to know what Gooch and the team are actually doing out there. Why does there seem to be a mental plan to go after anything short? Did we lose 4 or 5 wickets that last innings hooking or pulling down the leg side? This match was savable on that pitch, no doubt about it, but you can't afford to lose 1 wicket caught on the fine leg boundary let alone 4 or 5.

Our bowling is insipid as well. I'd like to see Monty retained, Swann dropped and Finn in for Perth. I'm not sure what else we can do to the batting. Root did enough to stay at 3, but if anything I'd like to see Bell come in before KP who remains the one player I'd consider dropping for Ballance at this point - to make a point.

Prior has perhaps done just a whisker of enough to keep his place ahead of Bairstow with that last knock, but still, after playing a controlled scoring innings he plays an inexplicable shot to get out.

Perhaps going to Perth we should be blooding the likes of Finn, Ballance, Bairstow to what the Ashes is all about. The positive might be toughening them up for future battles as this series is gone away, as has most of our team.

I also wish Cook could have come out and been a bit more forthright and not the typical, oh we've got to take the positives, we have to learn from this, we're still in the series blah blah blah. There were no positives Alistair mate, it was a total shower of shite from start to finish. You've given us barely a moment where we could feel we were in this series, perhaps the first morning when they were 150-6 or whatever, but you managed to f*ck that up as well.

They seem to have forgotten the art of Test cricket batting. Make the bowlers bowl at the stumps, then pick them off. They know how to do it, especially Cook, as he has done that many, many times before. Next test, Cook needs to win the toss and then do exactly this - bat for 2 days and piss the Aussies off.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am now £400 down betting on England so have wagered on Siddle being top Aussie bowler at 12-1 to recoup or add to my losses. The price for us to win the Series is a miserable 33-1 so that's not for me and it's only 11/4 for us to win at the WACA for the first time, excepting the Packer Ashes.

So win at Perth and it's all on again. It's not OVER yet. We have to have the BALLS to do it.

Team Cook, Carberry, Root, Pietersen, Bell, Prior, Broad, Anderson. The other 3 places Bresnan, Stokes and Monty???? This is assuming Tremlett and Finn have not impressed in the nets as they have not been at their best on the tour so far and that Boycott's mum is not available.

As an aside the youtube footage of Michael Holding scattering Boycott's wicket is a must. That is rhythmical beauty and quality fast bowling. Non of that Mitch slinging nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here