Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: Australia v England at Adelaide

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We don't win at Perth - ever (well maybe once in 1978/79 when Australia really were crap).

Can we please stop hooking down fielders throats.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We don't win at Perth - ever (well maybe once in 1978/79 when Australia really were crap).

Can we please stop hooking down fielders throats.

This is just a reaction to the pressure. In normal circumstances all batsmen have a good idea of their scoring shots and their weaknesses however, such has been the pressure to try to break the stranglehold of the Aussie bowlers, they are " losing their heads " as Boycott says. It's almost like a boxer when he knows he is losing, he is at his most dangerous and can lash out. That's what Cook did, it was a ridiculous shot but to him it was his only way of lashing out and trying to dominate the bowling.

So expect more of the same, they know our batsmens strengths and are giving them nothing to score off hence pressure builds and the cycle continues.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Finn MUST play at the Gabba in my opinion, I'd go with:

Cook
Carberry
Root
Pietersen
Bell
Bairstow
Prior
Broad
Swann
Finn
Anderson

The Gabba is BRISBANE - we played the first test there.
I think you might mean the WACA - Perth, we play the 3rd test there starting Friday.

And yes, I agree, Finn's height and pace could provide a bit of Mitchell medicine to the convicts on the Perth track.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And yes, I agree, Finn's height and pace could provide a bit of Mitchell medicine to the convicts on the Perth track.

Really can't see Finn playing. He was dropped because he leaked runs (if you're a playing a four man attack, you can't have one bowler out of control) and in his two matches on this tour he's been pony - against Northern Territories he was outbowled by an Aussie bowler who's yet to play a first class match.

Bresnan will certainly play. He'll offer a level of control and will be able to get something from the Freemantle Doctor (as will Anderson). The two questions for England will be: do they play Swann and do they need five bowlers (and keep Stokes in)?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm 6ft 1inch and am a pretty fit 87kg, won't be me running, not my style.

I like your fighting spirit. Mitch is 6'4" 96kg and would weigh even more with a brain. You will be doing the country a service , if you nail him! I will definitely be watching this on TV.

Be wary of the first punch coming in a low, swingy action from the side of his body. He will be Southpaw. Sidestep and wait for the supercilious smile. Respond with the Joe Root smile as you upper cut his grin into that pubes of a moustache.

if he doesn't have the moustache at Perth, I will know you have had words with him.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I like your fighting spirit. Mitch is 6'4" 96kg and would weigh even more with a brain. You will be doing the country a service , if you nail him! I will definitely be watching this on TV.

Be wary of the first punch coming in a low, swingy action from the side of his body. He will be Southpaw. Sidestep and wait for the supercilious smile. Respond with the Joe Root smile as you upper cut his grin into that pubes of a moustache.

if he doesn't have the moustache at Perth, I will know you have had words with him.

Having studied Lua Gar Kung Fu for 7 years may come in handy too.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The Gabba is BRISBANE - we played the first test there.
I think you might mean the WACA - Perth, we play the 3rd test there starting Friday.

Don't even know why I wrote that, shameful for a cricket lover :laugh: Thanks for correcting me though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Why do we have to have back to back Ashes series ? It looks like we will have to wait 4 YEARS for a chance to win the Urn back. Wouldn't an Ashes series every 2 years be a lot more sencible ?

18 months, actually. This is where I am negative. The Ashes produces more money. Playing South Africa does not produce money. South Africa are worlds number 1. But contrary to your statement the next Ashes in England is 2015 Ashes venues are Lord's, Trent Bridge, Cardiff, Edgbaston and The Oval. However much |I like playing Australia we do need to play the world's best team.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
18 months, actually. This is where I am negative. The Ashes produces more money. Playing South Africa does not produce money. South Africa are worlds number 1. But contrary to your statement the next Ashes in England is 2015 Ashes venues are Lord's, Trent Bridge, Cardiff, Edgbaston and The Oval. However much |I like playing Australia we do need to play the world's best team.

Isn't it to do with the inaugural Test World Cup championship due to be held in England in 2017? Had they waited for the away Ashes which normally would have been winter 2014, the home Ashes would have then been the summer of 2017 and would have clashed with this Test World Cup. That's what I thought anyway.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Maybe but we could have played South Africa. The Ashes are a big money spinner but as Boycott said about the multiple Australian games,

'I like my Mum's steak and kidney pudding but if I had to eat it Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I'm not so sure'

or boring Yorkshire words to that effect.

I must point out I was wrong earlier on saying inaugral world cup test was us against convicts in Melbourne 2015. That is ODI World Cup. thanks for setting that right.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Interesting selection dilemma's for Friday, question marks over a number of places. I would go for the following:-

1.Cook
2.Carberry
3.Root
4.Pietersen
5.Bell
6.Ballance
7.Prior
8.Broad
9.Anderson
10.Finn
11.Panesar

Some really tough choices as Stokes showed promise on his debut, but we need a better batsman at number six so one of Bairstow or Ballance to play. I have to admit I've not see Ballance play but his First Class record is superior to Bairstow, plus I've never been over impressed by the flame haired Yorkshireman.

The real conundrum is picking the right bowling unit and you can make a case for dropping all of them with the exception of Broad. I would take a gamble and go for Finn as whilst he can be expensive his strike rate is the best in the squad and we need to hit the Aussie's with some fire, pace and aggression.

Very tempted to bring back Bresnan, but would hold of until the 4th and 5th test as I want Finn's pace and bounce.

I would go for Panesar ahead of Swann for the 3rd test purely because of conditions, Monty gets a lot of bounce and this pitch is tailor made for him. Like Bresnan I would bring him back for the 4th and 5th test match. There has been some discussion around not playing a spinner and asking KP & Root to bowl their part time spin, but I would be loathed to go in without a front line spinner although it would allow Bresnan to play and bolster the tail at number 8.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

The reason for having the down under Ashes series now is that in previous years the England team were [percieved to be] disadvantaged in their preparations for the ODI World cup because it was always preceded by the long Ashes tour down under. So this year they broke the cycle to resolve this. Ashes are every 4 years at home and every 4 years away - so roughly 2 years apart, home & away but this series has been bough forward by 1 year. ie the last Ashes series down under was 3 years ago not 4, but the next one down under will be in 4 years time.

Hope this makes sense ....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The reason for having the down under Ashes series now is that in previous years the England team were [percieved to be] disadvantaged in their preparations for the ODI World cup because it was always preceded by the long Ashes tour down under. So this year they broke the cycle to resolve this. Ashes are every 4 years at home and every 4 years away - so roughly 2 years apart, home & away but this series has been bough forward by 1 year. ie the last Ashes series down under was 3 years ago not 4, but the next one down under will be in 4 years time.

Hope this makes sense ....

Yes. It makes sense. I found the fixtures on the ECB site to back you up. After this Series we play South Africa 3 times up to 2020 and Australia three times. 2015 home, 2019 home and 2017/18 over there. My cynicism has no grounds. I must have mixed my money greed theory up with South Africa only having 4 Tests not 5.

November-January 2014 - England in Australia (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3 T20s)
March - England in West Indies (3 ODIs, 3 T20s)
April - ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh
May-June - Sri Lanka in England (2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
June-September - India in England (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
November-December - England in Sri Lanka (5 ODIs, 2 T20s)

January-February - England in Australia (Triangular 5 ODIs)
February-March - ICC Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand
April - England in West Indies (3 Tests)
May-June - New Zealand in England (2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
June-September - Australia in England (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
October-November - England in Pakistan (3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
December-February 2016 - England in South Africa (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 2 T20s)

December 2015-February - England in South Africa (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 2 T20s)
March-April - ICC World Twenty20 in India
May-June - Sri Lanka in England (3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
July-September - Pakistan in England (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
October-November - England in Bangladesh (2 Tests, 3 ODIs)
November-December - England in India (4 Tests)

January-February - England in India (7 ODIs, 1 T20)
March - England in West Indies (3 ODIs)
April-May - West Indies in England (3 Tests)
June - ICC Test World Championship in England
June-July - West Indies in England (5 ODIs, 1 T20)
July-September - South Africa in England (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
November-January 2018 - England in Australia (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3 T20s)

November 2017-January - England in Australia (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3 T20s)
February-April - England in New Zealand (2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
May-June - Pakistan in England (2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
October-November - England in Sri Lanka (3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)

February-March - England in West Indies (3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
May-June - Australia in England (5 ODIs, 1 T20)
June-July - ICC Cricket World Cup in England
July-September - Australia in England (5 Tests)
December-February 2020 - England in South Africa (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Yes. It makes sense. I found the fixtures on the ECB site to back you up. After this Series we play South Africa 3 times up to 2020 and Australia three times. 2015 home, 2019 home and 2017/18 over there. My cynicism has no grounds. I must have mixed my money greed theory up with South Africa only having 4 Tests not 5.

November-January 2014 - England in Australia (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3 T20s)
March - England in West Indies (3 ODIs, 3 T20s)
April - ICC World Twenty20 in Bangladesh
May-June - Sri Lanka in England (2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
November-December - England in Sri Lanka (5 ODIs, 2 T20s)

January-February - England in Australia (Triangular 5 ODIs)
February-March - ICC Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand
April - England in West Indies (3 Tests)
May-June - New Zealand in England (2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
June-September - Australia in England (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
October-November - England in Pakistan (3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
December-February 2016 - England in South Africa (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 2 T20s)

December 2015-February - England in South Africa (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 2 T20s)
March-April - ICC World Twenty20 in India
May-June - Sri Lanka in England (3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
July-September - Pakistan in England (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
October-November - England in Bangladesh (2 Tests, 3 ODIs)
November-December - England in India (4 Tests)

January-February - England in India (7 ODIs, 1 T20)
March - England in West Indies (3 ODIs)
April-May - West Indies in England (3 Tests)
June - ICC Test World Championship in England
June-July - West Indies in England (5 ODIs, 1 T20)
July-September - South Africa in England (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
November-January 2018 - England in Australia (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3 T20s)

November 2017-January - England in Australia (5 Tests, 5 ODIs, 3 T20s)
February-April - England in New Zealand (2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
May-June - Pakistan in England (2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
October-November - England in Sri Lanka (3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)

February-March - England in West Indies (3 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)
May-June - Australia in England (5 ODIs, 1 T20)
June-July - ICC Cricket World Cup in England
July-September - Australia in England (5 Tests)
December-February 2020 - England in South Africa (4 Tests, 5 ODIs, 1 T20)

Good to see a five match test series against India in 2014 & 2018.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here