Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd Test: Australia v England at Adelaide

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Australia finish the day on 273 for 5. More dropped catches overnight including a sitter means its been more Australias day I think (especially given Englands batting form!) even though all four main bowlers have taken a wicket. Need to get a couple of quick ones tomorrow to stop the Aussies building a big score!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes I would sooner have the runs on the board than having to chase. We have played decently though and are still in the game. We need a strong performance tomorrow and then who knows.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, can someone explain to me why, with the Aussies on 273 for 5, the commentators on 5Live are saying that overall it was England's day when they seem to have dropped a few catches, Aussies still have 5 more batsman to come in including Johnson who did well in the last outing. I'm no aficionado of cricket but it seems to me that it could be likely that they could get close to 400 and with our batting record recently that means we are likely to struggle. Seems to me the only bright point for England were the 3 wickets in 19 runs!!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So, can someone explain to me why, with the Aussies on 273 for 5, the commentators on 5Live are saying that overall it was England's day when they seem to have dropped a few catches, Aussies still have 5 more batsman to come in including Johnson who did well in the last outing. I'm no aficionado of cricket but it seems to me that it could be likely that they could get close to 400 and with our batting record recently that means we are likely to struggle. Seems to me the only bright point for England were the 3 wickets in 19 runs!!!

Probably because of the state of the pitch, the Aussies would have expected to rack up a lot more than 273, and for fewer wickets.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They were 150-1 and absolutely flying, the Ashes practically won within the first 2 sessions of the 2nd test. It was a mini collapse on this pitch to then be 174-4. Had Monty held his caught and bowled chance, then the Carberry the easiest chance of the day with Clarke on 43, I might have called it England's day.

The way England are batting though, I'd say 273-5 is well and truly Australia in pole position. Unless we get Clarke and Haddin early, this match, and probably the Ashes are gone. Seems a knee jerk reaction, but we are being gifted opportunities and not taking them.

I fully expect a Clarke century tomorrow, a decent 70+ from Haddin, 40 from Johnson, a wag from their tail, 500 on the board with an hour left of play, England 10-3 at the close.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

On the first day of the first Test Australia closed on 273-8 so it looks like we are already worse off by 3 wickets this time around. However, if we can rattle them out for 350 and post 450 ourselves , we have a chance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Australia finish the day on 273 for 5. More dropped catches overnight including a sitter means its been more Australias day I think (especially given Englands batting form!) even though all four main bowlers have taken a wicket. Need to get a couple of quick ones tomorrow to stop the Aussies building a big score!

It's already a big score.

Yes I would sooner have the runs on the board than having to chase. We have played decently though and are still in the game. We need a strong performance tomorrow and then who knows.

We haven't played decently, the Aussies gifted us our wickets, and frankly were happy to gift us 2 or 3 more if it wasn't for our inability to catch a friggin cricket ball. This alone is a real bad sign as it shows how nervous and under the pressure the team are. Carberry shelling a dolly isn't exactly filling me with any confidence of how mentally tough he is to bat for a long time.

No, I don't think we have played that well at all, I think the Aussies in actual fact played pretty poorly and should be kicking themselves they've managed to turn a match winning start into a glimmer of hope for England, and that's all it is, a glimmer, because if Haddin and Clarke bat for an hour tomorrow, it's all over bar the shouting.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Because 400 isn't a lot on this pitch and at 150-1 they were looking at 600. We still have to bat well, but without the pace and bounce that Brisbane had I'm more confident.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's already a big score.

We haven't played decently, the Aussies gifted us our wickets, and frankly were happy to gift us 2 or 3 more if it wasn't for our inability to catch a friggin cricket ball. This alone is a real bad sign as it shows how nervous and under the pressure the team are. Carberry shelling a dolly isn't exactly filling me with any confidence of how mentally tough he is to bat for a long time.

No, I don't think we have played that well at all, I think the Aussies in actual fact played pretty poorly and should be kicking themselves they've managed to turn a match winning start into a glimmer of hope for England, and that's all it is, a glimmer, because if Haddin and Clarke bat for an hour tomorrow, it's all over bar the shouting.

Very much this, if they push on to 400-5, which is quite possible for them, we will already have lost any chance of a strike back victory. Could be a long series.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Very much this, if they push on to 400-5, which is quite possible for them, we will already have lost any chance of a strike back victory. Could be a long series.

Yes Haddin and Clarke might push on to 400 but not probable. Carbs' chance was easy, it happens. The other 2 half chances at best. Also Aussies only have one recognised spinner on a very slow pitch. Aussies shading it but only just.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes Haddin and Clarke might push on to 400 but not probable. Carbs' chance was easy, it happens. The other 2 half chances at best. Also Aussies only have one recognised spinner on a very slow pitch. Aussies shading it but only just.

Even on a slow pitch they will have enough of a bowling attack to contain and dispatch us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here