Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd ODI: England v New Zealand at Southampton

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The test side is the best team in the world by far, only South Africa are even close.

One day side is pretty naff though, needs mega sorting out and fast.

The Test side is good but South Africa are number 1 for a reason, they murdered us over here in the test series last year. We could easily have been whitwashed. We are comfortably number 2 though.

ODI results had been improving under Cook & we have an excellent recent record in ODI cricket in this country (in fact anywhere outside the sub-continent really.) 3 factors at play for me here 1) Injuries taking away some of our more pentrative bowling. 2) Batsmen not really in form 3) Guptill in the form of his life.

At full strength in English conditions, I still think we are a handful.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Test side is good but South Africa are number 1 for a reason, they murdered us over here in the test series last year. We could easily have been whitwashed. We are comfortably number 2 though.

ODI results had been improving under Cook & we have an excellent recent record in ODI cricket in this country (in fact anywhere outside the sub-continent really.) 3 factors at play for me here 1) Injuries taking away some of our more pentrative bowling. 2) Batsmen not really in form 3) Guptill in the form of his life.

At full strength in English conditions, I still think we are a handful.

We need to be more flexible in the batting order. We can't allow 2 accumulators to bat together when we need a more dynamic player at the crease.

Is KP coming back to play 1 day cricket again, as he'd add some impetus to the upper middle order?

We need to be more flexible in the batting order. We can't allow 2 accumulators to bat together when we need a more dynamic player at the crease.

Is KP coming back to play 1 day cricket again, as he'd add some impetus to the upper middle order?

Yes, KP is back (when fit) playing all 3 forms of cricket for England. He's a desperate miss for exactly the reasons you state.

Ian Bell needs to be dropped, certainly from the ODI team and possibly from the Test team. He simply doesn't seem to have the brain for it. Out in stupid fashion again yesterday - I can forgive Joe Root, who is a very inexperienced cricketer, but Ian Bell should be beyond getting out in like that when, as has been proved time and time again, the most important thing in ODI cricket is not losing too many wickets until the latter stages. Particularly with Morgan and Butler probably a place too high at 5 and 6.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

There's a time and a place for steady accumalation and chasing 360 on a flat track with a lightning outfield isn't it. KP will be back in once fit I believe.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There's a time and a place for steady accumalation and chasing 360 on a flat track with a lightning outfield isn't it. KP will be back in once fit I believe.

Yes, there were 2 possible ways we could get that total.

One of them was to play some shots in the 1st powerplay and get on top of the rate early on. The other was to keep wickets in hand, whilst still keeping the required rate to below 9 or 10, then have a 20/20 chase at the end.

Sadly, we did neither.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here