Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 26 years ago today - Albion 4, Leyton Orient 4

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
The home games at that time were exhilarating, more so the more the season went on - you realised the club’s very existence was at stake.

Looking back now the games then all seemed to matter, although I remember my overwhelming emotion at the time was being very nervous and expecting the worst to happen!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Incredible stuff I was in the North stand for that game. Absolutely brilliant memories. I remember the bloke coming on the pitch was right next to me. If you did that in this day and age you would probably be jailed. Everyone was a little easier going back in the day.

Btw Wtf is up with the commentator ...sounds like something from the 50s ... Keeps getting his tenses mixed up as well.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The home games at that time were exhilarating, more so the more the season went on - you realised the club’s very existence was at stake.

Looking back now the games then all seemed to matter, although I remember my overwhelming emotion at the time was being very nervous and expecting the worst to happen!
Couldn’t agree more. The sheer emotional investment of that season will never ever be repeated. Yes we can adore and marvel at the quality and status we now possess, but that season you would literally be a wreck at the end of a game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Also exhilarating because of some of the football itself.

It felt like every game we'd see breaks of Storer and McDonald on the wings, slinging it in for Baird of Maskell to slam into the North goal, triggering limbs aplenty in the North Stand itself.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Whatever happened to Neil The Mad Butcher?

Never forget Jeff Wood telling us all at the Gulls Eye dinner that year that as he was getting carted away he was closely followed by his girlfriend who took the time and trouble for an impromptu apology to Gritty and Jeff as she went past the dugout. 😂🙈
They were from Eastbourne, and in the same groups of people in the North Stand
Whatever happened to Neil The Mad Butcher?

Never forget Jeff Wood telling us all at the Gulls Eye dinner that year that as he was getting carted away he was closely followed by his girlfriend who took the time and trouble for an impromptu apology to Gritty and Jeff as she went past the dugout. 😂🙈
I remember them.

They stood in and around the same groups as I did in the North Stand.

She was way way younger than him, and - if my memory serves me right - I remember her telling me she used to get a lot of grief for it, but she’d been his junior employee and they’d just fallen for each other. From Eastbourne, I think.

Hazy 25 year old memories. Might be Wong in parts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
She was way way younger than him, and - if my memory serves me right - I remember her telling me she used to get a lot of grief for it, but she’d been his junior employee and they’d just fallen for each other. From Eastbourne, I think.

There's many important things I can't remember, but I can still remember the young lady's name was Mandy.

Neil (and, possibly, Mandy) would be about in the Gillingham and Withdean days, but I've not seen him/them for years now.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

I remember them.

Not quite sure what happened there.

Part of my reply appears twice.

And I’ve decided to be a Chinese takeaway.

It’s been a long day…

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

I remember them.

I seem to recall he was from Brighton, he was also an associate of the late Terry Boyle I believe?

A couple of years before he was a member of the Exec club, but I lost contact with him after Archer and Co withdrew my membership.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I think I’m right in saying that was the only home game we didn’t win under Gritt that season
980A8802-7E3C-44F8-96C5-360B366258B7.jpeg

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Their Chairman Barry Hearn wanted us docked points, basically he was trying to get us kicked out of the league considering how far adrift we were then. He was all over the news and even on that late night league show, that had Bill Kenwright at the time, who was on our side and dismissed Barry Hearns rantings.
Yup, I remember that but their manager got the calls when running up and down the line and I remember he reacted, then so did we!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My last game at the Goldstone - left for Delhi 5 days later and a year backpacking India, Nepal, Thailand, Oz (working), NZ, Fiji, Vegas and home (ticket was £800). What a game to leave on and the start of a brilliant adventure. Remember catching the Hereford result on a radio I took with me, sat with mates in Kathmandhu trying to get a reception and barely able to hear the results through the static.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here