Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 26 years ago today - Albion 4, Leyton Orient 4

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Truly the match that had everything - Eight goals, red card, late penalty, Ray Wilkins kicking a pitch invader who was trying to attack their players, Scott McGleish being a wa*ker...

We were bottom of the league, fighting for our lives. The atmosphere at the Goldstone in the second half of that season was absolutely electric.

I’m confident that the next time we play Orient you’ll hear the Scott McGleish chant ( even if I have to start it myself).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
And they spelt Gritt wrong 😂 ‘Grit’.

That was the day we gave out 2,000 whistles just to try and f*** them ( Archer and Co) over in yet another form, Ref apparently instructed his assistants that he would try and do much of their collective work with hand signals 😂

And some fella handcuffed himself to one of the goal posts.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My memory says it was a evening game but google tells me it was a Saturday. And should have known as we flew out to Delhi on the Friday after. Got cheaper flight because it was the 13th!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Yes - Keith Cuss the world's oldest ballboy.

Gets a mention here...

I thought that was against Manchester City?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The "someone" was my father-in-law to be.

Whilst his eldest daughter, my wife-to-be, was driving up to Heathrow to meet me, as I was returning from three months working in Australia, his youngest daughter was keeping watch on Old Shoreham Road whilst he did his little bit of decorating outside the West Stand.

Albion beat Scarborough 3-2 at the Goldstone on September 7th, the day I left for Australia. The next home win was the game against Hull, on the 14th December. That was Gritt's first game in charge, and my first game back in the UK. Our home record from my arrival back was P12 W10 D2 L0.
Really? Never knew it was someone, um, ‘from France’ who did that! Top work.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
So did I, lovely with onions at a bitterly cold Amex match.

Us Brits weren’t accustomed to good catering, 70’s pub food was bags of nuts or stale lukewarm pies kept in a Salmonella cabinet on the bar.

View attachment 158058
Mmm, I can almost taste the roadkill n grit thinking about it. They came on big tins didn't they? Greyish colour with a hint of brown.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Was that Hull as well?

Ian 'Cuffs' Taylor (note there are 2 Ian Taylors at the Albion) naturally the fighting fund paid his fine :thumbsup:
Yeah - same game. There's a photo in 'More than 90 Minutes'.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Craig maskall was a real unsung hero.
Remember a vital winner against top of the table Wigan and of course the volley at Hereford which lead to the goal.
Got a fair few that season i think.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Craig maskall was a real unsung hero.
Remember a vital winner against top of the table Wigan and of course the volley at Hereford which lead to the goal.
Got a fair few that season i think.
Hat-trick on Fans United day.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes was a bit of a classic, lot of tension including a pitch invader than made the headlines.

A couple of old cuttings from the time.

Attachments

• cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41
  • cap1.jpg
    cap1.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 40

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I was there, in the stand behind the goal in which McDonald eventually scored his penalty... from recollection Jason Peake played that day and played one of the best volleyed passes out to McDonald for our opener... It was a stunning match, remains one of my top three Albion games... it literally had everything and the 'assault' on Ray Wilkins saved us, he was controlling the game... I couldn't have timed the intervention better myself... I remember my dad laughing about it all the way home to the north-east... the best tackle of the match he called it, and BOY was he right.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Talk about memorable. I went with my pal (who I sit next to at the AMEX) and I took my son for his first (and last) match at the Goldstone. We were down the front of the North near the West Stand corner flag.

My pal asked Ray Wilkins when he was lining up a corner “you’ve not played any games bigger than this Ray”. Butch looked bemused.

Shame the video is such poor quality, but you get a flavour of the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here