Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 26 years ago today - Albion 4, Leyton Orient 4

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Gritt’s first game in charge was against Hull, mid December. 3-0 Vs Hull which was the start of the epic home form!
Yes, undefeated at home under Gritt. We'd lost six home games that season before his arrival.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Couldn’t agree more. The sheer emotional investment of that season will never ever be repeated. Yes we can adore and marvel at the quality and status we now possess, but that season you would literally be a wreck at the end of a game.
Totally this. As a fit and healthy twenty something I was knackered sat evenings! Should be out clubbing etc but remember just collapsing at home on sofa or bed for many Saturdays. Really did knock the stuffing out of you, the atmospheres were poisonous, electric etc as we gave our all to try and help the lads claw back the points deficit on that amazing home run. Clubs very existent hung by a thread. My god it was a close run thing. Unless you were there and living those days weekend by weekend you have literally no idea just how close we came to liquidation. What a time it was.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Great thread Kevo. Great footage.
I seem to remember someone painted Gritt Out or similar on one of the walls after he was first appointed. That decision soon looked rather stupid. As difficult as those days were I can honestly say I had more fun supporting the albion than currently.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
AN emotional rollercoaster pissed dancing on ice

i thin k ive said before, for some reason we went in WSL, it was a fully charged game.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I seem to remember someone painted Gritt Out or similar on one of the walls after he was first appointed. That decision soon looked rather stupid. As difficult as those days were I can honestly say I had more fun supporting the albion than currently.
It was actually 'Gritt believes Bellotti bullsh*t' I believe!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One of my all time favourite games. What more could you ask for(apart from maybe an injury time Albion winner)?

2 up, then 3-2 down, equalise to make it 3-3 and then concede straight form the kick off to go 4-3 down leading to a couple of fans attacking the orient players(including Ray Wilkins being tipped on his arse), a red card and a late, late penalty to make it 4-4. A full(or as full as it was allowed to get) house, electric atmosphere and a post match protest.

They don't make football games like that anymore.

A genuine classic.

Whenever someone says a game "had everything" this is the benchmark.
Indeed. And my last game at the Goldstone before moving up north a few weeks later.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It was actually 'Gritt believes Bellotti bullsh*t' I believe!
And they spelt Gritt wrong 😂 ‘Grit’.

That was the day we gave out 2,000 whistles just to try and f*** them ( Archer and Co) over in yet another form, Ref apparently instructed his assistants that he would try and do much of their collective work with hand signals 😂

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Loved the boiled burgers ! 70s child !!
So did I, lovely with onions at a bitterly cold Amex match.

Us Brits weren’t accustomed to good catering, 70’s pub food was bags of nuts or stale lukewarm pies kept in a Salmonella cabinet on the bar.

9F36E6ED-22F7-47E2-8F61-C552997C5D61.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The "someone" was my father-in-law to be.

Whilst his eldest daughter, my wife-to-be, was driving up to Heathrow to meet me, as I was returning from three months working in Australia, his youngest daughter was keeping watch on Old Shoreham Road whilst he did his little bit of decorating outside the West Stand.

Albion beat Scarborough 3-2 at the Goldstone on September 7th, the day I left for Australia. The next home win was the game against Hull, on the 14th December. That was Gritt's first game in charge, and my first game back in the UK. Our home record from my arrival back was P12 W10 D2 L0.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was it the Orient game when our ball boy headed the ball into the crowd to waste time at the end?
Yes - Keith Cuss the world's oldest ballboy.

Gets a mention here...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The "someone" was my father-in-law to be.

Whilst his eldest daughter, my wife-to-be, was driving up to Heathrow to meet me, as I was returning from three months working in Australia, his youngest daughter was keeping watch on Old Shoreham Road whilst he did his little bit of decorating outside the West Stand.

Albion beat Scarborough 3-2 at the Goldstone on September 7th, the day I left for Australia. The next home win was the game against Hull, on the 14th December. That was Gritt's first game in charge, and my first game back in the UK. Our home record from my arrival back was P12 W10 D2 L0.
Awww…

you married well then, sound like a cracking family :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here